Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dreading the cost

• 15-05-2010 2:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭

Have a 2000 Renault Safrane.

Whatever happened I came out to find "springs" pressing against my front driver-side tyre making it impossible to move the car.

Im presuming it is the front suspension after uncoiling...and by the looks of it by rust.

Anyway what kind of cost is this likely to be.:( of getting this repaired.

I love the car but the chassis seems to be having real problems the last year.

Can't complain about the Volvo engine which is as good as ever.:)

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

Cant say for definate but if its just the spring i dont think it will be that expensive..about an hours labour and a new spring will be about the height of the price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Lower spring pad rusted clean through on a ten year old car? Pretty shocking if that's the case, but replacing it shouldn't be that expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Lower spring pad rusted clean through on a ten year old car?

Also begs the question what other essential components have gone crispy ...might be cheaper (and safer!) to just walk away if there is more.

Count yourself lucky that this didn't happen while driving :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Indeed, it's time for a major look at the car.
    Take it to a mechanic and check all the components underneath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

got the car towed this afternoon. I should have word about the damage if not today then monday.

• Advertisement

Im presuming it is the front suspension after uncoiling...and by the looks of it by rust.

Any pics ?
    The car is worth close to f all in good condition so I wouldn't think spending much on her is a good idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Out of interest, when did the car last pass the NCT?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

any flooding in your area last winter? water damage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The missus A class had something similar a few years back .she drove in to an open man hole and damaged the spring, it eventually rusted through and broke.

What spec is the Safrane? Do you fancy a straight swap for a 2000 1.8 Xantia with FSH , only 65k and recent full suspension sphere change? It's an sx. A/c, armrest, cd changer.

EDIT. Meant o add, Applehunter I have a few bits knocking around that I bought if your ever in need of spares. I have the Climate control panel from the dash that includes the heated front windscreen if your has that option, aset of centre caps for the alloys, a coupl of sections of the air ntake under the bnnet and a couple of parts for the inflatable seats.

unkel wrote: »
    Out of interest, when did the car last pass the NCT?
    It was feb or march just gone.

• Advertisement

Stekelly wrote: »
    The missus A class had something similar a few years back .she drove in to an open man hole and damaged the spring, it eventually rusted through and broke.

What spec is the Safrane? Do you fancy a straight swap for a 2000 1.8 Xantia with FSH , only 65k and recent full suspension sphere change? It's an sx. A/c, armrest, cd changer.

EDIT. Meant o add, Applehunter I have a few bits knocking around that I bought if your ever in need of spares. I have the Climate control panel from the dash that includes the heated front windscreen if your has that option, aset of centre caps for the alloys, a coupl of sections of the air ntake under the bnnet and a couple of parts for the inflatable seats.

This is the 2nd attempt you have made to take it off my hands if I am recalling correctly.;)

If I listened to anybody that knows me I would have got rid of it by now. Its a nice drive is what I tell them, which is the most important thing for me.

I'll let you know if and when I do get rid of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

This is the 2nd attempt you have made to take it off my hands if I am recalling correctly.;).

I really miss the 2 I had. :(

I'll let you know if and when I do get rid of it.

Please do. Cheers.

Advertisement