Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SGU 1x17 "Pain" **SPOILERS**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

agree that it was a filler episode, though not a bad one in contrast with other series. really disappointed about the aliens coming through the stargate. that was just a hallucination! was looking forward to that since the 1.5 trailer. :mad:
    i don't mind the character developments. the tension adds to the series and rather than solely being a space-battle series, it provides a good mix. that's what made BSG so good. if i wanted to see mindless sci-fi battles, i'd just watch the transformers films (leave your brain at the door, thank you :))

8/10

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Screaming Monkey

thought it was complete muck..

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I'm assuming we have seen the last of those blue aliens now since we are in a new galaxy? As for the time thing, several epidoses have spanned the space of weeks or longer, but I agree that it should have been mentioned something along the lines of "3 months rationing done, we're there now" or similar.

How mant episodes are in this season?

20 episodes in season 1. same for second season, i think.
    3 more episodes to go. can't wait for the finale :)

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭krpc

whiteman19 wrote: »
    20 episodes in season 1. same for second season, i think.
    3 more episodes to go. can't wait for the finale :)

I almost read this as "I can't wait for it to be over!" :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭GarethWA

5starpool wrote: »
    I'm assuming we have seen the last of those blue aliens now since we are in a new galaxy?

Depends. Those aliens might not even be from the galaxy they just left. How long did they say they were trying to board Destiny before the Pegasus crew got on board?

I'd say not!

i agree with gareth. it'd be pretty pointless to introduce an enemy and not flesh out that story. it'd just leave it unresolved. did the aliens just decide "oh it's off to another galaxy, time to go home" :D

although they did leave "Faith" a bit unresolved. who built that planet and sun? what happens to the people left behind? hopefully they'll bring it back into the plot.

has SGU already aired on Ukrainian telly? i saw some youtube links for the final episodes (or music from them). anyone know what's the story?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Agreed about the aliens, although it be pretty stupid for them to be trying so hard to stop Destiny from leaving the last galaxy if they were a big presence in the one it was going to :)

• Registered Users Posts: 83,350 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Agreed about the aliens, although it be pretty stupid for them to be trying so hard to stop Destiny from leaving the last galaxy if they were a big presence in the one it was going to :)
    We don't know if they are.

Even if they were, it makes sense to attack Destiny in the void where it can't recharge. Their last attempt was foiled because they couldn't breach Destiny's shields (...effectively) before it jumped again.

Whenever they do get control of destiny's systems she'll be a bad mother ****er. Theyve already hinted maybe a thousand times that doing so will fix their power transfer issues, meaning she'll likely be faster and more defensible. Inside a star cluster: impregnable?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Not great. I'm not too fond of filler episodes, although they nearly always happened just before a finale in the SG[1|A] universe.
    It would indeed have been more effective if we'd had more time with the characters. It wasn't sub-par... just a bit bog standard. Could have removed a bit of gore and easily put it into the other franchses.
    I want a show that is internally consistent within the rules it sets for itself. They just made a big thing about how Destiny was going into power saving mode to prepare for a journey between galaxies... and then cast the whole thing aside.
    Have to agree with this. They make a deal about it passing between galaxies. I expected it to take ages but we got no mention of what happened or how long it took, etc. Give us something. I don't like how the show's characters make a big deal of an issue - the guys being stranded but suddenly coming back, the distance between galaxies - and then are suddenly blasé. C'mon if we ask the questions, surely the characters should to?

Smyth wrote: »
    no YOU STFU!!!!!!111!!one
    With all due respect, everyone STFU :) No more back-seat modding from any of ye or else I'll get mean.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Dunno what everyone is giving out about...
    Universe isn't supposed to be like SG-1 or Atlantis, it was said from the beginning that it is going to be much more character driven, and honestly after 300+ episodes of SG-1 and Atlantis, its refreshing to get something structurally different, but that still has some of the best aspects of its predecessors...
    And stop saying "filler episode" when the two previous shows were 80% filler and 20% overall story arc, yet people didn't complain about that...

Personally, I really enjoyed this episode... Potentially one of the strongest of the series so far...

• Registered Users Posts: 83,350 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Time was a filler episode: I don't recall any complaining. Why does it matter when you're entertained?
    Have to agree with this. They make a deal about it passing between galaxies. I expected it to take ages but we got no mention of what happened or how long it took, etc. Give us something. I don't like how the show's characters make a big deal of an issue - the guys being stranded but suddenly coming back, the distance between galaxies - and then are suddenly blasé. C'mon if we ask the questions, surely the characters should to?
    I too was pretty cheesed at how they handled the conclusion of Lost. But I mean, like the ending of time which was ambiguous enough to be suspensful, if they had just done the Happily Ever After SG1 thing at the end of Lost it wouldn't have been nearly as interesting. And really, thats all it was ever going to be; destiny falling out of ftl and picking them up. And the Galactic Void? Would you have really wanted an extra earth-type episode? "Oh no stars. We're bored. Lets call Mom."

It was quirky, but forgivable. Like I said, I especially liked the closing scene of Pain, which was a lot of 'business as usual' and fitting of the franchise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

boring episode, almost switched it off half way through.

As someone said earlier, there hasn't been enough action in the series to justify an episode like this. Last two episodes have undone a lot of the good work at the beginning of the 2nd half of the season.

Let's hope things pick up again for the last few episodes.

Overheal wrote: »
    Time was a filler episode: I don't recall any complaining. Why does it matter when you're entertained?

There was no complaining because time had a really good sense of danger in it. It was clever, and really kept us on our toes through the entire episode. As soon as we found out what was causing the hallucinations, i was pretty disappointed!
    If I had written this episode, i would have finished it very differently! Either with a remark between Rush and Camille about 'plans in motion', or with an actual blue alien making it aboard Destiny, unnoticed in all the commotion!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Firstly this ep was gammy cause it completely broke the season momentum... time did not.

Secondly having an entire ep that revolves around hallucinations as a story driver is about as cheap a device as having a really drmatic ep where someone wakes up at the end says "whoa, what a weird dream" - crap.

hightower1 wrote: »
    FSecondly having an entire ep that revolves around hallucinations as a story driver is about as cheap a device as having a really drmatic ep where someone wakes up at the end says "whoa, what a weird dream" - crap.
    Well only to a point. They established they were having hallucintions about 15 minutes into the show. If it had been a "reveal" at the end only, then it would really have sucked. As it was, it was just lacking something for me.

ixoy wrote: »
    Well only to a point. They established they were having hallucintions about 15 minutes into the show. If it had been a "reveal" at the end only, then it would really have sucked. As it was, it was just lacking something for me.

Your still basing an entire ep around something that doesnt exist and has no real world ramifications for the story.

Your still basing an entire ep around something that doesnt exist and has no real world ramifications for the story.
    Well we learnt that Rush is still haunted by his capture and the blue aliens. Perhaps this might feed into his next encounter with them?

This is "filler" in the sense it doesn't push a story arc along but if it allows us to enjoy the characters and moments then that shouldn't matter. I believe there were more interesting ways of having "filler" episodes than this but I'm only one person.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

It's like that plot device where all this crazy **** happens, main characters start killing eachother, total gamechangers..... last scene is some character waking up - IT WAS ALL A DREAM!

:rage:

agree with ixoy. no need for every episode to be story-arc related. good to have some episodes with character development.
    but i knew that when Lt. Boobs killed Scott, it wasn't real. no way would they kill off one of the biggest characters in the series...pity :D

• Advertisement

Good writing should move the story arc along WITH character development integrated into it.

Sure look at the ep with rush in the chair, it managed both perfectly.

It broke no new ground character wise, we already knew Rush was terrified of the aliens, lt.boobs was in love, greer hated and distrusted ray /rush....the only new bit was Scotts brotherthe rest was all old news and the whole ep felt like a recap with no new info or story to give like doodles on a page.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Scotts brother
    You mean his son?

lol yeah that too! :D:D

Good writing should move the story arc along WITH character development integrated into it.

Exactly! None of this flashback/hallucination stuff dominating an entire episode!
    I don't mean no outer-destiny drama, because judging from the trailer for next weeks episode
    there will be a LOT of earth-bound time, but the episode looks like an awesome way to set up the season finale!
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Yeah, they played the full series already....
    GateWorld wrote:

Talk of the last four forbidden

It's been brought to our attention that the last four episodes of SGU have aired on Ukranian TV, thus are out there in spoiler land and on torrents and you tube, etc.

KEEP THEM THERE.

The discussion of these episodes, the posting of spoilers - even tagged - the posting of caps, ALL is forbidden here until it airs on Scifi.

No exceptions.

You see anyone discussing it, please report them so we can delete the posts. You see anyone posting any torrent links, report them so we can moderate the poster and delete the posts. If we continually get someone trying to discuss the episodes in spite of this announcement, that person stands to lose his/her posting privileged until after the episodes air on Scifi. (Which means watching it early so you can get spoilers to hold over everyone won't gain you much, cause you won't be talking about it here)

Yes, they were legal airings. Yes they shouldn't have aired until after they did on Scifi. That's between the Ukranian station and MGM. The simple fact is, Darren doesn't want it here, so it won't be here. No debate, no arguing.

You want to be a helpful part of this forum, please refrain from talking about the episodes and report to us those that don't.

Thanks
    whiteman19 wrote: »

has SGU already aired on Ukrainian telly? i saw some youtube links for the final episodes (or music from them). anyone know what's the story?

was wondering whether that was correct cos i saw some music from Incursion Part 2 on youtube (don't look for it cos it contains video from the episode, i did and regret it :mad:)

i'm going back to sligo (and crap broadband) next tuesday so i won't be able to see the final episodes. (might see about downloading them beforehand) i don't have sky either so that's out...unless there's any way to get sky1 on my satellite (just a box and dish that we bought and set up ourselves). nothing illegal now!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Red Dwarf did a very good job of it.

Secondly having an entire ep that revolves around hallucinations as a story driver is about as cheap a device as having a really drmatic ep where someone wakes up at the end says "whoa, what a weird dream" - crap.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

From what I've seen about it, the ukranian sown episodes are not in english with subtitles, but are in ukranian (or russian) as I guess would be obvious, so it doesn't seem like there is any actual watchable scallions out there from what I can see (sadly).

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Bajingo

I liked this episode..nothing new on a storyline front but I think the character acting really sold it for me..the Greer/Wray/Rush scene was the best scene..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭GisforGrenade

It was quite a good episode, really like the B-team characters coming more into it, some of them are much better than certain A-team characters.

Advertisement