Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Deposit of a future tenant from abroad?

Options
  • 15-05-2010 7:12am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 164 ✭✭

Hi,

I've advertised a room in the apartment I rent. I'm sub-letting myself without bothering to tell or ghost landlord as I don't want to bother him. I've been here 6 months, so have the other tenants and no one has ever spoken to him, we just pay into his account. Everyone is happy!

Anyways, the next tenant to come arrives on June 8th. He said he'll pay from June 1st. The thing is he is from, and currently lives in France. I would like to get some sort of deposit so that he doesn't call me up later and say he has changed his mind and I have to go through the whole viewing process again.

However he is naturally reluctant to wire over money and said he'll pay up front on arrival.
    What can I do?

Thanks,

Yogy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

It would be a bit of a bad sign already for me if you asked him and he's reluctant to pay any money upfront. I understand your worries, he's not in the country and things can change for him.
    Try and explain your situation and ask him about paying half of a month rent upfront.
    That would be a fair thing imo and it shows you if he's really serious about renting the room. If he's still not willing to pay, I would tell him you'll look for somebody else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭dermothickey

personally I wouldnt wire money abroad for an apartment as there are far too many scams like this. Why not wait the few weeks for him if he comes, or else just wait for someone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

yogy wrote: »
    Hi,

I've advertised a room in the apartment I rent. I'm sub-letting myself without bothering to tell or ghost landlord as I don't want to bother him. I've been here 6 months, so have the other tenants and no one has ever spoken to him, we just pay into his account. Everyone is happy!

Anyways, the next tenant to come arrives on June 8th. He said he'll pay from June 1st. The thing is he is from, and currently lives in France. I would like to get some sort of deposit so that he doesn't call me up later and say he has changed his mind and I have to go through the whole viewing process again.

However he is naturally reluctant to wire over money and said he'll pay up front on arrival.
    What can I do?

Thanks,

Yogy

Advise him that if the room is still available when he arrives, he can have it, in the meantime, don't refuse another reasonable applicant. Have you spoken to him, checked him out as best you can, got a photocopy of his passport etc.? Are you absolutely sure he will fit in with the rest of you?

However, personally, I would be unwilling to send a deposit for a room in any country, unless I had seen the room and spoken with the landlord and the other occupants of the appartment. If I thought I wasn't going to get on with them, I wouldn't want to stay. If I was him, I would stay a short time in a hostel while I was looking for somewhere suitable.

Remember also, that the laws for rental in France are not the same as in Ireland and he may be thinking of the french law will protect him (thought I don't know the differences).

Advertisement