Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coffee

• 15-05-2010 10:03am

I don't really drink it for some reason.. I like taste and smell grand but I don't feel like it really wakes me up that much. Definitely not as effective as it's hyped up to be anyway but I might start more just to get away from the desk for a while..

Am I just doing it wrong?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Depends on the coffee, an expresso will certainly wake me up. :)

Im a total coffee snob, wouldn't touch a cup of instant with a barge pole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

what kinda coffe do you drink ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

Are you putting Rohypnol through it?

If so replace with crack, that'll sort ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

De-caf :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

I don't really drink it for some reason.. I like taste and smell grand but I don't feel like it really wakes me up that much. Definitely not as effective as it's hyped up to be anyway but I might start more just to get away from the desk for a while..

Read this for answers galore: http://theoatmeal.com/comics/coffee

I really love coffee, I dont really like instant although I'll drink it if there is nothing else.

• Advertisement

Abigayle wrote: »

Unleaded. :p

:eek: Blastfemer.

You sick Demented pervert! I cant beleave you said those words on a coffee thread.....

/puts the kettle on colombian rich cafitar stylely?

I wanna cigerate now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

:eek: Blastfemer.

You sick Demented pervert! I cant beleave you said those words on a coffee thread.....

/puts the kettle on colombian rich cafitar stylely?

I wanna cigerate now.

Not me! I wouldn't touch de-caf 0/

I like mine leaded ;) :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I'm wary of coffee, I have it once in a while but just like tea, I don't want to become one of those people dependant on a blast of caffeine to function. When I do get it I tend to go for those faggacinos though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

I love espresso, drink it quite a bit, not every day though, and sometimes go a week or two without it.

I agree, it doesn't seem to wake me up, and can make me a bit buzzy, then crash, which isn't ideal at all.

• Advertisement

Not me! I wouldn't touch de-caf 0/

I like mine leaded ;) :pac:

Glad to hear it!

No wonder youve got so many boards stalkers ;):P

Just the Nestle instant coffee in the canteen in work.. Not de-caf.
    I couldn't justify spending at least 2euro a day on proper coffee so instant will have to do!

And I know nothing about the different types of coffee.. You should be taught this stuff in school cause I've no idea wat an expresso or a capuchino is.

I couldn't justify spending at least 2euro a day on proper coffee so instant will have to do!

And I know nothing about the different types of coffee.. You should be taught this stuff in school cause I've no idea wat an expresso or a capuchino is.

Thats why. Nestle isnt coffee its pure crap. to be honest when ever I drink that I gringe... with out trying to, sound snobby its just wrank...

If you wanna get into coffe i say get your slef a cafitar, and just get crackin on trying different coffees, its a really good way of learning.

I dont take that much interest in coffee other then whats availbel eand what I know i wouldnt recomend roberts
    tescos is good marks and spenncer is good it just depoends on what you can get I like tescos finest coffee my self think its good, i could get better but i get what i can afford....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Me eyes are burning after reading that hideous word! :eek:

I need my coffee in the morning to come back to human being state. But I can't drink any in teh afternoons or i won't get any sleep

Insomnia rocks my world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

If you're drinking anything like Nescafe or Maxwell House then you are definitely doing something wrong.

Once you've had real coffee you'll never go back to instant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I dont drink a lot of coffee but it has to be the real stuff when I do , no instant stuff tyvm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

I can't drink coffee , I miss it. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭jaffa20

I have at least 3 cups of coffee in the morning. 1 after lunch and 1 again the evening after dinner. Don't like instant coffee but if i have drink it,carte noire is the only decent one. Just don't pour boiling water into it as it won't taste like coffee at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Hate coffee

Tea ftw!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭dermothickey

Anyone notice coffee loosens the bowels? why is that? Is it a laxative?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 NC27

Anyone notice coffee loosens the bowels? why is that? Is it a laxative?
    Only instant coffee has an instant effect. Get your self a real one and ya should be grand.

15 Years ago most of the population here didn't know or appreciate good coffee.

One would walk into a pub or resturaunt like Mc Donalds and would be handed muck that was either sitting stewing all day or else was spoon heaped from a jar of Instant.

One thing I can say for immigrants is they brought the high standard of Coffee with them, also Irish that travelled abroad and tasted good coffee. Ten years ago the first kenko singles started to appear in petrol stations and shops around the country, this was a bit of an improvement.

Bean to cup seems to now be taking over a lot of these and thank god for this. :)

I also see an increase in ground / bean coffee in supermarkets although its still a ripp off. I tend to hold out for specials and buy lots, ie two for one deals with Douwe Egberts or Lavazza.

Anyone who still serves coffee from a jar in this country is a complete mucker. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

I dont know what it is but instant coffee gives me the sh*ts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Abrasax

Just got back into it recently, living in Spain.
    Cafe con leche para mi.
    I drink a couple in the morning to kickstart the day.
    I'm considering converting to Javacrucianism, the simplest of whos' rituals follows...

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Javacrucians have selected the less-controversial caffeine as its sacrament. It also has the simplest theology in history, teaching that one thing only is necessary for salvation, the American Coffee Ceremony -- a variation on the Japanese Tea Ceremony. This is performed at dawn, and you must face east, toward the rising sun, as you raise the cup to your lips. When you take the first sip, you must cry out with intense fervor, "GOD, I needed that!" If this is performed religiously every morning, Javacrucians say, you will face all life's challenges with a clear mind and a tranquil spirit.[/FONT]
    [/FONT]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Anyone who still serves coffee from a jar in this country is a complete mucker. :p

Oh yeah, well check this shìt out!

It's actually not bad. I bring it to work, as it's better than normal instant tbf.

aaah lads ye can't beat aldi instant aroma, for working the bowels, or tesco value instant hmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

Meh. Coffee sucks.

It contains loads of tannins and other plant gunk. I've never noticed the laxative thing, but for some reason it makes my urine smell weird :eek:. Also the taste- I'm used to it now so i find it tolerable, but i can't say I enjoy it like i would a hot chocolate or a capri sun :pac:.

Isolated caffeine is the way to go. Energy drinks are ok, but caffeine pills are really where it's at. 100mg is about right, any more is too much imo.

:cool:

vinylmesh wrote: »
    Meh. Coffee sucks.

it makes my urine smell weird :eek:. Also the taste- I'm used to it now so i find it tolerable, :pac:.

:cool:

:pac::pac::eek::eek:

lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭anniehoo

I looooove coffee..even the instant muck as others have said. I cant drink too much of proper ground coffee though cos it sends me completely hyper for an hour and then i crash.

Agree that Carte Noir is one of the better instant jobbies!

anniehoo wrote: »
    That is probably the last instant coffee brand I was buying before I saw the light. :)

anniehoo wrote: »

Is that a pun? Billy connolly- Jobbies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Thats why. Nestle isnt coffee its pure crap. to be honest when ever I drink that I gringe... with out trying to, sound snobby its just wrank...
    It's not like "real" coffee has better quality caffeine or anything. If he doesn't like the buzz off instant, he won't like the buzz off ground.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

You know there's already a coffee and tea forum...?

Oh feck it.
    Never mind. It's like herding cats in here.
    I generally don't like instant coffee. And the warmed milk makes me all cranky and farty.
    That's why I keep drinking it. Keeps human contact to a minimum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Depends on the coffee, an expresso will certainly wake me up. :)

Im a total coffee snob, wouldn't touch a cup of instant with a barge pole.
    A real coffee snob would slit your throat for spelling espresso with an x!

A standard cup of filter coffee usually has more caffeine than an espresso. You can think of espresso like whiskey -yet it is stronger in alcohol/caffeine per ml but the servings are usually far less. So it is like how a pint of beer has about twice the alcohol as a shot of whiskey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

I don't know if it's an actual tolerance issue or if you just don't notice it as much but I always found that if you drink coffee regularly for a while the wake-upiness seems to wear off (worrying that I couldn't think of a better word). By contrast if you don't drink coffee for ages then you go back to it, you can really feel the effect.

Also +1 on instant being shyte. Cafetiéres make the nicest coffee IMO, and if Wikipedia is to be believed cafetiére coffee also has the highest caffiene content.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,036 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I didn't really pay attention to coffee until I visited Seattle in 1995. I had breakfast in that restaurant in the Pike Place Market where they filmed a scene from Sleepless In Seattle, and the waitress kept filling my mug with really good filter coffee. Then I went to Microsoft in Redmond, and they kept plying me with coffee, and I also did various coffee shops and discovered I liked Cappuccino. Sleepless In Seattle, indeed ... :cool:

I'd rather have a good espresso-based coffee, of course, but a good instant will do in the morning. The Fairtrade stuff they sell at Lidl is pretty good, and not too expensive either. For the last three years I've lived on the €1.20 cappuccinos they push at the UCD student shops.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Scarydoll

I love coffee, any kind. Iced coffee is freakin awesome!
    When I gave up smoking I really started to drink more lol Swapped one addiction for another.

I love Baileys coffee :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Sorry coffee lovers, can't stand the stuff myself.
    Tea is my poison. :D

• Advertisement

Biggins wrote: »
    Lyons, Barrys in that order I hope :)

Couldn't settle for anything less.

Old man arrived back with some foreign lidl brand and it was binned in no time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

People at work boil water, add a teaspoon of instant coffee and then a drop of milk. For me that's as bad as catp1ss, or Budweiser

I warm the milk in the microwave and add the coffee. And then they look at me as if I'm committing some sort of crime... weirdos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭OxfordComma

I developed a coffee addiction when I was doing my Leaving Cert and I've had it ever since! To be honest the best cups of coffee I've ever had were on holidays in Italy, Spain and France... No one can do it like them. Even the coffee in petrol stations and the like is good there.

I absolutely hate most instants, but the Carte Noire one is actually fairly decent. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭OxfordComma

I think you really need to be addicted to coffee to get the most out of it :p

I love both, personally, and I always have at least one cup of each every day!

1fahy4 wrote: »
    I developed a coffee addiction when I was doing my Leaving Cert and I've had it ever since! To be honest the best cups of coffee I've ever had were on holidays in Italy, Spain and France... No one can do it like them. Even the coffee in petrol stations and the like is good there.

I absolutely hate most instants, but the Carte Noire one is actually fairly decent. :)

Carte Noire is the closest to the real thing. its manufactured by Kenco who branded one of the the first coffee despencers to appear in service stations in the country, mentioned earlier.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Lyons, Barrys in that order I hope :)
    Couldn't settle for anything less.
    Old man arrived back with some foreign lidl brand and it was binned in no time.
    Yea, as the children's poem goes
    "when she was good, she was, very, very good - when she was bad, she was horrid"

I've yet to come across a cheap tea that actually tastes decent.
    Lyons, etc might be slightly dearer but you can tell the quality better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

http://www.flickr.com/photos/two-eyes/1285147549/sizes/o/

Yea, as the children's poem goes

I've yet to come across a cheap tea that actually tastes decent.
    Lyons, etc might be slightly dearer but you can tell the quality better.

Here its either Lyons or Barrys, everything else gets fcuked in the bin.

Re Coffee, there hasn't been in instant jar in the house for over five years, :)

for the tea lovers, give the ould robt roberts fairtrade tea a blast,,, dayyyyycent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Cant stand coffee.

Love tea: Barrys, Bewleys, Lyons, supermarket sh!te, in that order.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement