Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sickened at the new price of the driving test...

• 15-05-2010 12:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭

Failed my first test, couldn't sit my second because my car was stolen and was not roadworthy after it was found, the RSA wouldnt refund me or allow me to sit the exam some other time, and NOW its €75 to sit it again....

Scumbag ripoff country I'm sick of it.. but nobody gives a **** so what do i do?

I'm unemployed now and a full driving licence would make me a bit more employable, I could understand it going up by a tenner, but double?! thats hardly fair on the little guy?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Perhaps the unemployed should have a reduction in the fee.

Incidentally I've hardly ever had a job in my life where I needed a car, or a driving licence. Never thought about it before now. Not till you said that. That said having a car has made it much easier to get to work with the dire public transport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Also, the cost of the test is subsidised, so it actually costs the RSA a lot more than €75 to run the test.*

*I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Failed my first test, couldn't sit my second because my car was stolen and was not roadworthy after it was found, the RSA wouldnt refund me or allow me to sit the exam some other time, and NOW its €75 to sit it again....

Scumbag ripoff country I'm sick of it.. but nobody gives a **** so what do i do?

I'm unemployed now and a full driving licence would make me a bit more employable, I could understand it going up by a tenner, but double?! thats hardly fair on the little guy?

Stop being the little guy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Catsmokinpot

BostonB wrote: »
    Incidentally I've hardly ever had a job in my life where I needed a car, or a driving licence. Never thought about it before now. Not till you said that. That said having a car has made it much easier to get to work with the dire public transport.
    problem is i'm out in the countryside most of the time
    Do you not think perhaps the driving test fee in UK is too expensive also?

What's involved that costs €75 per head? nearly every part of it (from applying to post sitting) is automated the test only takes half an hour to an hour administered by 1 person, paperwork involved is printing out a piece of papar from a computer, Do we not pay enough car tax already?

Teachers get paid less than that per hour.
    Stop being the little guy
    Trying hard, was a big guy for 8 years until my job screwed me over.... have to climb the ladder again.

• Advertisement

Also, the cost of the test is subsidised, so it actually costs the RSA a lot more than €75 to run the test.*

*I think
    the government should hire someone else to do it cheaper if thats the case.

Jaysus i'd do it for cheaper than that if they would hire me, i'd probably get that waiting list down too.

lazy ****ing government

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Do you not think perhaps the driving test fee in UK is too expensive also?

What's involved that costs €75 per head? nearly every part of it (from applying to post sitting) is automated the test only takes half an hour to an hour administered by 1 person, paperwork involved is printing out a piece of papar from a computer, Do we not pay enough car tax already?

Teachers get paid less than that per hour.

The teachers can fit more lessons in per day including early mornings, evenings and weekends, testers can only do tests during certain times.

The cost of the test needed to go up for several reasons but the biggest one was it was one of the main reasons the waiting lists were so long. With the test being cheap you'll find people will book two or three tests at the same time, figuring if they fail the first they should have a second, third etc go pretty close together. If they pass first time they usually don't have enough time to cancel the other tests and get a refund but sure the test was cheap so it was worth it to have passed. The tester has to be paid wither they show for the test or not, it's not enough time to pass the spot onto someone else waiting so it just goes to waste and you end up with massive waiting lists. If your paying 75 for the test your more likely to show and be ready for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭greenie

I don't think the cost of the test is that bad at all. Back when it was half that price people used to treat the test as a joke because they could afford to. Nobody ever cancelled, they just didn't show up on the day which ended up costing the RSA a lot of money as there wasn't enough time to give those slots to others on the waiting list. Nobody took nearly as many drving lessons because if they failed the could easily afford to apply again & again.
    The price going up means people have to take it seriously. Appointments have to be kept and enough lessons have to be taken to ensure you give it your best shot first time around. This is how it always should have been. If the price is too high for some people then the best thing to do is save up for it and use that time to practise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

There should definitely be a reduced rate for the unemployed.
    So many companies are based out in industrial estates nowhere near any public transport. Also, even if there is public transport, the services aren't all that regular, so you have far less flexibility when it comes to when you can work.
    If you are 9 to 5 and you are needed for 2 hours of overtime, your boss isn't going to care that the only buses are at 5.15 and half 9.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,719 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Magenta wrote: »
    There should definitely be a reduced rate for the unemployed.
    So many companies are based out in industrial estates nowhere near any public transport. Also, even if there is public transport, the services aren't all that regular, so you have far less flexibility when it comes to when you can work.
    If you are 9 to 5 and you are needed for 2 hours of overtime, your boss isn't going to care that the only buses are at 5.15 and half 9.

There really shouldn't, that would only have claims of discrimination arise! I'm a student, and despite having no job I still managed to pay for two tests, a theory test, my license X2, lessons and a car! If I was offered to do my test at a reduced rate, I obviously wouldn't say no, but I don't believe I should be discounted simply because I'm in a specific group of people.

If discounted costs were brought in, it would put the RSA at more of a loss than they already are, more people would apply for the test and no doubt failure rates would rise up because people are now thinking it's something to do rather than a privilege to receive.

I'm rambling :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

have you done some lessons, they are about 35 euro per hour

ztoical wrote: »
    The teachers can fit more lessons in per day including early mornings, evenings and weekends, testers can only do tests during certain times.

The cost of the test needed to go up for several reasons but the biggest one was it was one of the main reasons the waiting lists were so long. With the test being cheap you'll find people will book two or three tests at the same time, figuring if they fail the first they should have a second, third etc go pretty close together. If they pass first time they usually don't have enough time to cancel the other tests and get a refund but sure the test was cheap so it was worth it to have passed. The tester has to be paid wither they show for the test or not, it's not enough time to pass the spot onto someone else waiting so it just goes to waste and you end up with massive waiting lists. If your paying 75 for the test your more likely to show and be ready for it.
    You don't need a college degree to be able to run a driving test, and you mean to say a driving tester doesn't work 9 to 5 like everyone else? i don't think so. including breaks on an 8 hour shift they can get at least 6 tests done in a day, at 75 a pop thats €450 a day per testing officer (or whatever they call themselves)
    greenie wrote: »
    I don't think the cost of the test is that bad at all. Back when it was half that price people used to treat the test as a joke because they could afford to. Nobody ever cancelled, they just didn't show up on the day which ended up costing the RSA a lot of money as there wasn't enough time to give those slots to others on the waiting list. Nobody took nearly as many drving lessons because if they failed the could easily afford to apply again & again.
    The price going up means people have to take it seriously. Appointments have to be kept and enough lessons have to be taken to ensure you give it your best shot first time around. This is how it always should have been. If the price is too high for some people then the best thing to do is save up for it and use that time to practise.
    what about those who didn't treat it as a joke like myself? i was nervous as hell going the first time (partly why i failed by 3 marks)

The second time i cancelled under a week in advance (Because my car had broken down) and they took the fee off me anyway, i'm sure they found someone to fill my appointment spot, who wouldnt want to get their test over and done with as quick as possible with the waiting lists they have.
    There really shouldn't, that would only have claims of discrimination arise! I'm a student, and despite having no job I still managed to pay for two tests, a theory test, my license X2, lessons and a car! If I was offered to do my test at a reduced rate, I obviously wouldn't say no, but I don't believe I should be discounted simply because I'm in a specific group of people.

If discounted costs were brought in, it would put the RSA at more of a loss than they already are, more people would apply for the test and no doubt failure rates would rise up because people are now thinking it's something to do rather than a privilege to receive.

I'm rambling :rolleyes:
    Claims of discrimination from who exactly? old age pensioners? the employed? if I was employed I wouldn't give a ****, i'd happily pay the €75, but thats nearly half my weekly job seekers allowance, i'm hoping to go to NUI maynooth this year and am saving hard for it, giving the situation with grants etc. at the moment i'll need every penny i can get.

This won't stop me from applying for it, i'll have to. its just a thorn in one's side, and I can imagine others discomfort at having to fork out double for the same thing they paid half for in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

You don't need a college degree to be able to run a driving test, and you mean to say a driving tester doesn't work 9 to 5 like everyone else? i don't think so. including breaks on an 8 hour shift they can get at least 6 tests done in a day, at 75 a pop thats €450 a day per testing officer (or whatever they call themselves)

You've got to allow time for paper work between tests as unlike driving instructors testers need to keep records. An instructor also has lower costs as most work from their home/car and answer the phone themselves while the RSA has a website and phone line it has to maintain. Instructors are sole traders while testers are civil servants - they have to get paid if the person doesn't show up or if the test has to be called off due to bad weather.
    what about those who didn't treat it as a joke like myself? i was nervous as hell going the first time (partly why i failed by 3 marks)

Never said all people sitting the test treat it as a joke, I certainly didn't but there are those [or at least were not sure if the price increase has got rid of them or not] who do treat it as a joke, simply booking tests so they can renew their license then never sitting the test or canceling with little to know notice, this point was brought up to say some of your fellow learners can take at least part of the blame for the price increase.
    The second time i cancelled under a week in advance (Because my car had broken down) and they took the fee off me anyway, i'm sure they found someone to fill my appointment spot, who wouldnt want to get their test over and done with as quick as possible with the waiting lists they have.

It is unlikely they filled the spot if they had less then a weeks notice. They have to give 10 days notice to people as most people can't just drop everything to go sit the test. I do feel there should be some leeway given to people who can't sit the test due to no fault of their own but were do you draw the line? Anyone can ring up and claim their car was broken or stolen etc Sure you can ask they provide a police report or statement from the garage but that's adding more paperwork and you need to hire more people to process all that which increases overheads.

Claims of discrimination from who exactly? old age pensioners? the employed? if I was employed I wouldn't give a ****, i'd happily pay the €75, but thats nearly half my weekly job seekers allowance, i'm hoping to go to NUI maynooth this year and am saving hard for it, giving the situation with grants etc. at the moment i'll need every penny i can get.

The cost of running and maintaining the car is a hell of alot more then the test cost. If can't afford the test how can you afford tax, insurance, petrol, NCT etc etc
    This won't stop me from applying for it, i'll have to. its just a thorn in one's side, and I can imagine others discomfort at having to fork out double for the same thing they paid half for in the first place.

Prices change all the time for a great many things, the book I bought several months ago is now on sale for half of what I paid for it. The cost of the Irish test is still cheaper then most other EU countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,027 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

ztoical wrote: »
    The cost of running and maintaining the car is a hell of alot more then the test cost. If can't afford the test how can you afford tax, insurance, petrol, NCT etc etc.
    +1

A fill of diesel in my car now costs €85 and that has to be paid out almost every week yet most people who pass first time and have no interest in other categories, only need to pay for a driving test once in their lives. I think it was ridiculously cheap up to now and, as has been said, people didn't appreciate it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭greenie

There were many who didn't treat it like a joke Cats unfortunately there were many many more who did. They wanted this to be taken seriously and I guess the only way to ensure it would be was to raise the price. If you think about it, it was time for the price to increase and the only reason people are shocked that's it's double what it used to be is because they didn't increase it gradually over the years like other countries. It probably would cost more now if they had done it that way.

Advertisement