Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best hair styling wax for men

• 15-05-2010 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Im looking for really good hair wax, dont mind what it costs. Ive tried dax but find it makes my hair a bit greasy looking and doesnt have that strong of a hold. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 johmol

american crew is good decent barbers will have it cant be bought in shop about 15 euro six different types so something will suit your hair

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Stratige

"Fish" moulding wax, it's 9 euro in all boots shops and it's brilliant. Has a lovely coconut smell aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

Stratige wrote: »
    "Fish" moulding wax, it's 9 euro in all boots shops and it's brilliant. Has a lovely coconut smell aswell.
    agree aswell. best ive tried and smells lovely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

lock stock and barrel make excellent products

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 nomdeguerre

Loreal Play Ball is strong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

funkyjebus wrote: »
    agree aswell. best ive tried and smells lovely

I agree. Not mad about the smell myself (I wish it smelt like coconut!) but it is the best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

ShockWaves Texture Gum (little green and grey tub), great hold, no wet/greasy look and its easy to wash off.

I do like the American Crew stuff in barbers as well though, just so damn expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

johmol wrote: »
    american crew is good decent barbers will have it cant be bought in shop about 15 euro six different types so something will suit your hair

Agree, started using this recently, not sticky or greasy, good hold, lasts ages and smells nice enough too. I use the blue one. Whatever that is.

Someone else told me that "Fudge" is supposed to be good too.

Does anyone know what has the strongest hold besides red dax?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Stratige wrote: »
    Does anyone know what has the strongest hold besides red dax?

The problem with most wax or any product with strong hold is that they can never give you a matte or natural look, it's always greasy and or wet-look. I use the Fish stuff cos it has a matte-texture, but the hold isn't great so I use a bit of hairspray to hold it together. If you're thinking of changing what you like using cos you need a stronger hold bear that in mind

• Advertisement

Thanks man.

Just looking to experiment because ive been using the same stuff on and off (red dax... fish... red dax...) for years now.

The companies just can't seem to create that perfect gel/wax for a perfect solid hold whilst styling.

The problem with most wax or any product with strong hold is that they can never give you a matte or natural look, it's always greasy and or wet-look. I use the Fish stuff cos it has a matte-texture, but the hold isn't great so I use a bit of hairspray to hold it together. If you're thinking of changing what you like using cos you need a stronger hold bear that in mind
    I found some SERIOUS matt wax today by v05, now this is probably by far the best wax ive ever used. It's really really really hard and not sticky or greasy in the slightest, it goes in solid and lets you style properly. None of that falley down shyte while your trying to spike with this stuff ,it's like rubber. A real proper matted finish and it seems like it wont be too bad on the aul pillows.

It's a 5er, called mattWax by vo5 and it's only out a few weeks apparently, so scoop it up while its still around.

I never thought i'd say this, but yes, it's far better than Fish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭dave13

I use Loreal Ahead clay, never found anything as strong. its solid and your hair doesnt lose any shape, and no wet look or anything. Smells a bit like chocolate too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Ryan!

Ares wrote: »
    I use Loreal Ahead clay, never found anything as strong. its solid and your hair doesnt lose any shape, and no wet look or anything. Smells a bit like chocolate too.
    Going to have to give that a go, does your hair flop down after a while?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭user1

I heard a lot about this fudge shaper but was unable to find it in Ireland. I managed to get it here in the UK and I can confirm its really good, smells like caramel. I tried the american crew fiber but didnt find it great, thats why i set up this thread. The fudge has a really strong hold, a satin finish but is really steep at €15 for 75g.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭dave13

Ryan! wrote: »
    Going to have to give that a go, does your hair flop down after a while?

No, i do have reasonably short hair, but it holds it up(messy style) better than anything else i've tried. Was recommended by my hairdresser, and very ahppy with it. Pricey enough, about £10-12 online.

Advertisement