Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summons for using bus lane

• 15-05-2010 1:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭

Hi all. I need to know why this happened. Garda reply would be helpful

I was stopped in a bus lane by a motorcyle garda. He was very rude agressive and in a sh1t mood.

The bus lane was not operating at the time and was used a left turn lane so I was legally using it. He was not interested in that.

So I was summoned to court.

I went to court and the garda didn't even bother coming to court, the court office informed me that he didn't even send the warrant to be processed.

I have never even received a parking ticket and now I have a bogus pulse record. My case was the 1st one called at 11am in richmond st., and the judge struck out my case instantly.

He wasted 3 hours of my time, forced me to attend court and for no reason. Why would he do that. He charged me with something he knew was a waste of time yet still insisted on ensuring that I had to attend court by getting a garda turn up at my house with a summons.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Have him prosecuted by another Garda for wasting court time... Oh wait that would never be allowed happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

what are ya hopin to achieve, yeah he was an arsehole and wasted ur time but whats done is done and i doubt anythin will come of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

I'd get onto the Garda Ombudsman based on everything you said.

Do you have the Gardas name / badge number?

1890 600 800 / info@gsoc.ie is the address you need.

Try to include as much detail as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭ClonmelHills

B00MSTICK wrote: »
    so would i, bully boy p*g

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

B00MSTICK wrote: »

Do you have the Gardas name / badge number?

1890 600 800 / info@gsoc.ie is the address you need.

Try to include as much detail as possible.

So true, you had your day in court and the judge struck it out so you have NOTHING to lose. Have the fvcker smacked with the "book".

Firstly though I would ask the superintendant to give you a personal explanation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭gigabit

Berty wrote: »
    So true, you had your day in court and the judge struck it out so you have NOTHING to lose.
    Yea good point.

not sure if i wanna escalate it to that. would like a garda to comment on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

gigabit wrote: »
    The point is that I should have never needed to go to court. I didn't break ANY law.

You only have two choices really. Go to the ombudsman/someone high up in his station or let it go. You can't get your time back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

Berty wrote: »
    Firstly though I would ask the superintendant to give you a personal explanation.

+1. Do this. Go in, try not to be angry or aggressive and explain it to him. Any Super worth his salt will get you a reply.

I know you are frustrated but this is the best way. Guards and Supers are only human too and a quiet talk will probably do a lot more good in the long run than a Super having to oversee a complaint to the Ombudsman.

Anything coming from the Ombudsmans office usually leads to a defensive attitude of all in the station/district.

Use the Ombudsman as a last resort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

bijapos wrote: »
    Use the Ombudsman as a last resort.

The Ombudsman will only ask you if you have made it known the to Garda station anyway.

It would be like complaining to the Consumer Association about a shop not giving you a refund but not having even asked the shop for the refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭CosmicJay

This happened to me once. I had just gotten my license and drove in the bus lane at around six o clock in the evening as the sign only said 07.30-09.30am.

A Garda car with 3 Gardai pull up and the two of them give me a good grilling.

I just smiled and pointed at the sign which outlined the bus lane times. :rolleyes:

I was told to complain to the Garda Ombudsman but I never did.

I would'nt really expect anything to happen either.

Being brought to court is just low. He must of really been a grumpy Garda. Also having the cheek to not even show up!

• Advertisement

CosmicJay wrote: »
    Also having the cheek to not even show up!

If he showed up he would have been a total f**ktard.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 8_Ace

Just chalk it down to experience !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

You could take a case agaisnt the garda (via a solicitor and the garda ombudsman)and also sue him for loss of earnings (due to attending court) and emotional trauma of the experience that he put you through.

I know of a chap who did this,and he was successfull with his case against the garda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Shouldn't the ticket have stated the time, which would have proved that the bus lane was not in use at the time of the supposed offence?

Go to the ombudsman about this prick.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭sesna

Thank god for the ombudsman, at least now there is some independent recourse for the OP. The old Garda Complaints Board was a farce.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭bmw535d

its not that you need to complain but i think it would do good as it would knock the big head of the guard for a wile thinking he can summons someone to court and not turn up for something that was legal anyway wasting our tax payers money and your time/the judges time etc,also if you had to take a day of work you lost money because of his ejitness, id say he would also get a bollicking from his super/Sergent etc for acting the twat

8_Ace wrote: »
    Just chalk it down to experience !

Yea I think this is the way to go. Garda are like elephants with memory.
    paddy147 wrote: »
    You could take a case agaisnt the garda (via a solicitor and the garda ombudsman)and also sue him for loss of earnings (due to attending court) and emotional trauma of the experience that he put you through.

As I said, my main issue is I now have a pulse record. Next time my reg is run that will appear on their file. I try never to break any laws (i have a german license, did test there 20 years ago) and always drive with consideration.
    PrettyBoy wrote: »
    Shouldn't the ticket have stated the time, which would have proved that the bus lane was not in use at the time of the supposed offence?

Go to the ombudsman about this prick.
    :)

No ticket, a summons was delivered to my door by local garda, hand delivered to my wife. The original idiot of a garda didn't even have a notebook. He wrote my details down on a school copy book.
    bmw535d wrote: »
    its not that you need to complain but i think it would do good as it would knock the big head of the guard for a wile thinking he can summons someone to court and not turn up for something that was legal anyway wasting our tax payers money and your time/the judges time etc,also if you had to take a day of work you lost money because of his ejitness, id say he would also get a bollicking from his super/Sergent etc for acting the twat

The garda have a sergeant that goes through cases where they don't turn up (ie no orders ect). It was never a valid charge.

Why would he waste my time. Garda reply please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Yea As I said, my main issue is I now have a pulse record. Next time my reg is run that will appear on their file. I try never to break any laws (i have a german license, did test there 20 years ago) and always drive with consideration.

When Gardaí look at pulse a summons for a bus lane would not really raise on flags so I wouldn't worry about it.

Yea No ticket, a summons was delivered to my door by local garda, hand delivered to my wife. The original idiot of a garda didn't even have a notebook. He wrote my details down on a school copy book.

The gardaí don't deliver the tickets. The post office do. Gardaí who have been assigned to detective duties have a copybook style notebook.
    Yea The garda have a sergeant that goes through cases where they don't turn up (ie no orders ect). It was never a valid charge.

Why would he waste my time. Garda reply please.

The sergeant in court can't give direct evidence for a summons. Only the prosecuting garda can. To be honest he probably forgot about or didn't know about the court date or had something more important to attend to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

OP - there is also an Emergency Services forum.
    so would i, bully boy p*g

Don't post crap like that again please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭rubensni

As I said, my main issue is I now have a pulse record. Next time my reg is run that will appear on their file.

Why is that an issue? It's not like it matters for insurance, or anything for that matter?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭fortuneteller

This happened to me about 10years ago was brought to court on some trumped up public order charge.lost 2 days work paid for solictor twice and the little runt failed to show twice cost me 600 punts for nothing.:mad:

rubensni wrote: »
    Why is that an issue? It's not like it matters for insurance, or anything for that matter?

It matters to me. Pulse now says that I was charged with illegally driving in a bus lane. My name was called out in open court where there was never a charge to answer. At a checkpoint my name will flag that charge forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

It matters to me. Pulse now says that I was charged with illegally driving in a bus lane. My name was called out in open court where there was never a charge to answer. At a checkpoint my name will flag that charge forever.

Stop exagerating and over-reacting please. The Ladies Lounge is that way --->

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭ClonmelHills

Flag by Pulse?
    Contact the Data Protection Commissioner re Pulse. If there is incorrect data on you the police will have to delete or change it
    http://www.dataprotection.ie/viewdoc.asp?DocID=112
    might put manners on the bully

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

testicle wrote: »
    Stop exagerating and over-reacting please. The Ladies Lounge is that way --->

Backseat modding much?
    If you don't have anything worth posting then don't bother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭bmstuff

I don't get it, why would he send you to court for standing in a bus lane?
    Why did he not just give you a ticket and end of story. Sending people to court for standing in a bus lane is absurd. Plus you were on your bike waiting at the light to turn left, this is just crazy. Gard should be sanctioned for this period.

Anyway you got sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Hi all. I need to know why this happened. Garda reply would be helpful

I was stopped in a bus lane by a motorcyle garda. He was very rude agressive and in a sh1t mood.

The bus lane was not operating at the time and was used a left turn lane so I was legally using it. He was not interested in that.

So I was summoned to court.

I went to court and the garda didn't even bother coming to court, the court office informed me that he didn't even send the warrant to be processed.

I have never even received a parking ticket and now I have a bogus pulse record. My case was the 1st one called at 11am in richmond st., and the judge struck out my case instantly.

He wasted 3 hours of my time, forced me to attend court and for no reason. Why would he do that. He charged me with something he knew was a waste of time yet still insisted on ensuring that I had to attend court by getting a garda turn up at my house with a summons.

You are wasting your time looking for information on your case here on boards. The only way to find out what happened with the prosecuting Garda is to write to that Garda's Superintendent seeking that information. Even if the Garda was to read your post on here he would not respond to you.

Advertisement