Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Monitor advice needed - Photo editing & HD screen for XBox

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

I've always liked the Dell monitors (I'm currently using one of these) , however I'd strongly recommend going for the better IPS panel and full HD either 1920x1080 or 1920x1200 resolution.
    I've heard rumours of some decent priced 21-23" IPS panelled Dell monitors about to be launched very soon...so hold off with the credit card for a few more weeks. ;)

Edit: Forthcoming Dell Monitors.... http://www.marketwatch.com/story/two-new-dell-displays-provide-wide-viewing-and-excellent-color-for-knowledge-workers-and-photography-buffs-2010-05-13?reflink=MW_news_stmp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭bren2002

Good second link there Nforce, will be doing a bit more reading on this. I realised that it'll also need to have speakers for playing the xbox, so I might have to make some scarifices on image quality!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Kbeg3

I have one of these http://www.peats.com/cgi-bin/catalog.cgi?view_product=1&id=25050. HD and has built in speakers, might be worth looking at

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

buy the LG, they are excellent. We bought a load of the 27" model for the office last week ;) they are excellent value for money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

IMO Dell IPS displays are the way to go. If I were you I'd wait for the new ones, get a nice full HD model, and pickup a set of cheapish speakers for the xbox. They're going to be no worse, if not better than those in most monitors. You can easily pick up a 2 phono to jack cable to hook the xbox leads to the speakers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

bren2002 wrote: »
    Hi All

i'm looking for reviews / opinions & suggestions on a monitor. I'd like something decent for photoediting but something that would also play HD games from my XBox and maybe a downloaded movie or 2.

I've found this one from Dell
    http://accessories.euro.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=ie&l=en&s=dhs&cs=iedhs1&sku=238221
    I have the 20 inch version of this:
    http://accessories.euro.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=ie&l=en&s=dhs&cs=iedhs1&sku=308725 - the ST2210. It's cheaper than the one you linked (€170), has HDMI connection, but is widescreen (not sure if that's a plus or minus for you).

I'm happy with the monitor so far (got it about 2 weeks ago).

I got a set of these speakers to go with it, and am happy with them:
    http://accessories.euro.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=ie&l=en&s=dhs&cs=iedhs1&sku=A3033538

You can buy a sound bar for the Dell monitors (which clips on the bottom), but for some stupid reason the "home" monitors don't have pass-through power, so you'd need yet another electrical socket for it. The USB speakers are handier for me, and are fine for playing music/movies, but I'm not terribly fussy about audio - as long as I can hear stuff, and there's no hissing/crackling/background noises I'm happy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 paulydub

I have the 24" LG screen find it very good. only thing I had to do was upgrade my graphics card as it couldnt support the resolution of the monitor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Thread over in Bargain alerts on dell monitor discounts

20% off some monitors, valid until 19/05

Linky to Dell website

EDIT:
    Id suggest This one
    Cnet review

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭bren2002

paulydub wrote: »
    I have the 24" LG screen find it very good. only thing I had to do was upgrade my graphics card as it couldnt support the resolution of the monitor.

Can you tell me more about what happened there? The graphics card on my laptop isn't great, certainly isn't HD quality (5 years old)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 paulydub

The graphic card I had didnt support HD resolution got a new card that could support it and a bit more if I upgrade to a larger screen. I got the nvidia geforce GTS 250 1gb of ram. never had a problem with games or photoshop.
    DVI: 2560 x 1600 / VGA: 2048 x 1536.
    If your connecting your laptop to the screen by vga or hdmi it might have a max resolution already but should display on screen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

I just got a new screen last month and spent two days researching all the different one's. I wanted something for photo editing, HD video editing and if it was good for gaming it was a bonus.

It came down to the Dell UltraSharp 2405FPW & HP LP2475w. They're both IPS panels (actually the same panel) and brilliant for calibrating. I went with the HP, after reading pages and pages of reviews thought it was the better monitor. I've had it a few weeks now and it's brilliant!! Glad I choose this one!

Hope that helps a bit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭ablelocks

i'm in the same boat, and was holding out for the new dell ips monitors - they're out now :

u2311h at €361

u2211h at €337

no built-in webcam tho' and i thought there'd be a hdmi connection too. So I'm still not sure whether to go for one of these?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

ablelocks wrote: »
    no built-in webcam tho' and i thought there'd be a hdmi connection too. So I'm still not sure whether to go for one of these?

the pictures and description of the pictures show and mention HDMI.. nothing in the tech specs though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

Just DVI-D and Displayport from what I can see. Just pick up a cheap adapter like this one to connect a HDMI device.

Advertisement