Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accomodation needed to rent in Galway City and surrounding areas- help!

Options
  • 15-05-2010 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi All,

We're re locating to Galway City in July and looking for a 2 bed place on bus routes etc, ease of travelling is important until we get a car and spending as little money as possible initially is also important!

The budget is 600-650 a month and we're unfamiliar with the areas around Galway city.

So far I've noticed Ballybrit, Renmore, Headford road and a few others but know little about them - any advice on the best areas to look up would be fab!!! Help!

Lou :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Where are you going to be working or studying? This is really important in terms of recommending where's best to look, 'cos there's a whacking great river thru the city and only three small bridges and a bad road network.

Galway Advertiser (http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/classifieds) is the best place to look ... Daft.ie has stuff, but tends to me more expensive.

See my .sig for lots of information about the bus routes. #9 is best by far (but no good if you're working on the west)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Lousqueeza wrote: »
    Hi All,

We're re locating to Galway City in July and looking for a 2 bed place on bus routes etc, ease of travelling is important until we get a car and spending as little money as possible initially is also important!

The budget is 600-650 a month and we're unfamiliar with the areas around Galway city.

So far I've noticed Ballybrit, Renmore, Headford road and a few others but know little about them - any advice on the best areas to look up would be fab!!! Help!

glan dara is a lovely location, near salthill, nice houses, car parking, green areas, and quiet enough

Well just remember that a bus is 1.60 each way.. So if you're doing a return journey 5 days a week, that's 64euro per month per person.

Where are you going to be working/studying? Could be worth paying extra for a nicer place where you wont need a bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

Are you willing to share or are you looking for a two bedroom apartment/house?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Lousqueeza

We'll be working in the City Centre and also think it may be best to stay central while we get to know the different areas and where would suit us to live.

So a two bed place, pretty central on a 6 month to 1 year lease is what we're aiming for. Later on we can do the whole car thing if we want to live further out.

May house share short term if desperate nearer the time but for now we're trying to live alone.

Thanks for the info so far!!!! It's a great help :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

May house share short term if desperate nearer the time but for now we're trying to live alone.

We were looking for something similar a few months ago, unfortunately we found nothing near Galway city that was near a bus route and under our budget of €650.
    Rent in/near Galway city still seems to be crazy!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Well just remember that a bus is 1.60 each way.. So if you're doing a return journey 5 days a week, that's 64euro per month per person.

Where are you going to be working/studying? Could be worth paying extra for a nicer place where you wont need a bus.
    They have weekly or monthly passes, though, don't forget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Xiney wrote: »

It's been a while since I was in Galway, but they were barely worth getting unless you're getting more than 2 busses a day last time I checked...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Weekly tix is now E17, so becomes worthwhile the moment you take your 11th bus rude in a week. Monthly is ... E55 I think: haven't done the sums lately but still worthwhile in many cases.

OP, for that budget you'll only get a slum in the city.

I'd suggest looking in Doughiska/Roscam, and haggling. It's got the best bus service by far, and good facilities (unless you've got kid .. in which case schools are kinda in short supply), and there are enough empty houses that smart landlords will negotiate.

OR put your bus-fares budget towards rent and pay maybe 800 pcm in the city centre. (Even so, that could be a bit low to get anywhere decent.)

Xiney wrote: »

50euro a month.. It's what I have only work pays for it lucky enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

There are LOADS of 2-beds available at the minute, what with students leaving etc., I just got one on Kirwan court, but tbh if you want to go central you'll be hard pushed to find anything nice under 750/800.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Hi All,

Just noticed this
    http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?search=1&s[cc_id]=c19&s[a_id]=3593&s[mnp]=500&s[mxp]=700&s[bd_no]=2&s[route_id]=&s[a_id_transport]=0&s[street_name]=&s[txt]=&s[pt_id]=1&s[move_in_date]=0&s[lease]=&s[furn]=0&s[npt_id]=&s[days_old]=&s[single_beds]=&s[double_beds]=&s[twin_beds]=&s[agreed]=&s[search_type]=rental&s[transport]=&s[advanced]=&s[price_per_room]=&s[refreshmap]=1&offset=0&limit=10&id=891379

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

That link i posted was wrong
    Just use daft website
    plenty of places in there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭NMoore

Don't forget, as mentioned, you can get weekly or monthly bus passes - they're a little cheaper than buying your tickets every day.
    We will be putting our 2 bed apartment in Tur Uisce (nice estate)in Doughiska for rent, available anytime in June/beginning of July - it's on the Number 9 bus route, and you can cycle to the city centre in 20 - 25 mins (takes my OH 20, takes me 25!). It's a nice apartment, and we can do it for your budget. PM for more info.
    Nina

Advertisement