Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Taxing a new used car

• 15-05-2010 3:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

Ive recently bought a used car privitely and have recieved the log book with my name on it. I bought the car about 2months ago but have only begun driving it this week. The cars tax is expired about 3 months.

How do I get it taxed? Can I just get a normal tax form and get it stamped by the gardai for being off the road or do I have to get a special form as I am taxing it in my own name for the first time? I tried taxing it online but I dont have a pin that works! (i.e. the last 6 digits of the chassis number dont work).Is there anyway I can tax it without going into the tax office? (I work long hours and will find it hard to get the time off)

Anyone recently taxed a used car for the first time in their name?
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

Ring up your tax office on monday and find out what forms you need (they might post them out to you or you could get them from your local library) - post everything back to them with a postal order / credit card details. You could also ask them if you can pay for your tax over the phone...they might let you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You only have to tax the car from the begining of the month that you became the registered owner. So if you only got the new Vehicle Licencing Cert the other day then you only have to pay tax from the start of this month.

You don't need to get the Gardai to stamp any forms as you are not liable for back tax when you didn't own the car, all you should need to do is go into your local motor tax office with the VLC and your insurance documents along with the method of payment to tax the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

bazz26 wrote: »
    You only have to tax the car from the begining of the month that you became the registered owner. So if you only got the new Vehicle Licencing Cert the other day then you only have to pay tax from the start of this month.

You don't need to get the Gardai to stamp any forms as you are not liable for back tax when you didn't own the car, all you should need to do is go into your local motor tax office with the VLC and your insurance documents along with the method of payment to tax the car.

OP has been registered owner of the vehicle for 2 months though, so he/she is liable for tax for those two months unless the car is declared off the road for that time period.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭bit of a bogey

Just in case any1 wanted to know. http://www.dublincity.ie/ROADSANDTRAFFIC/MOTORTAX/RENEWMOTORTAX/Pages/RenewMotorTax.aspx

Printed of a RF100A form, got it stamped by a gaurd and freeposted it off!

Advertisement