Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First B&W film shots - C&C

• 15-05-2010 3:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 268 ✭✭

This was my first time shooting black and white, so any advice/comments most welcome :)
    Photos taken with a Nikon FM2, 50mm lens, Fuji Neopan 400 film.

1.F1C29DEE46DE4EB1AFC8B81A698F34FE-500.jpg

2.FCCB2423F3FF4D65A4F71431A8C94008-500.jpg

3.07701C17B6DB49C2BED523AF7E904E1D-500.jpg

4.94543CE1C1694BBDA08BB0EA470C6C0D-500.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Nisio

Hey The Boat

I think the photos could do with a bit more contrast; they seem to be a bit grey to me

Oisin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭thefizz

They look over exposed but there is potential in them. I like the second one best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,401 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

They look contrasty and well exposed to me

I like no.2 & 4, the sky in the other two seems to take from them, distracts from the subject of the photo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 268 ✭✭theboat

Thanks for the replies folks.
    I see what you mean about the sky. In no.2 I was trying for a more abstract look, though it didn't really come off... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

They're a little flat and grey IMHO, I take it these are straight off cam and scanned? Not processed? They would benefit from a little boost of black levels but I guess that defeats the purpose of shooting with film?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

I really like the first & last.. but I'd really like to see more contrast for sure. (as has been said already.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

I'd tend to agree with everybody so far, you need a good bit more contrast in the images but then again that could always be your unique style...

I think #2 has the most potential of all the shots above, really like it!

I see what you all mean about the contrast. I'd noticed it myself, but the purist in me was reluctant to do any pp on them :rolleyes:
    Does this improve no. 2, or is it way overdone? (The other reason for not tinkering with my photos is my complete lack of knowledge of pp!)

F14C63D3D27F445881A2E2461A27A057-500.jpg

Thanks again for the input. Much appreciated :)

I've attached my quick go at it, I think you're might be a slight bit much.. it all depends on what you want to tell with the photo.

left=orig middle=mine right=yours processed

Thanks Kyle! Yeah, you're right. Mine was waay too much!
    What did you do? I just blindly played with the curves...:confused:

• Advertisement

Did you do it in photoshop? if so I can send you over the psd file...

I just added a curves layer and dropped it a tiny bit. I also added a levels layer and changed that around a wee bit

Nope, I've only got GIMP. I'll spend some more time messing around with it and see if I can figure something out!

Advertisement