Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFO's - what do you believe?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭dyer

The use of keyhole surgery followed by extraction of organs has less to do with some mysterious lazers

fair enough yeah.. but some of these farmers witnessed and recorded some of the ufo's, and observed lasers or beams of light being shone onto the ground. not to mention that some of the wounds themselves clearly show evidence of some kind of laser apparatus, ie; entire limbs sliced off without any sign of serration etc.
    Even at the current primitive level of mammalian cloning and stem cell research we are able to grow whole organs so i wonder how a space faring society still needs to cut bits out of animals

who knows.. maybe they like a bit of haggis :D

as for the tissue shrinkage, that might be possible in a climate like the US, but in the UK, where the weather is much like ours, i rather doubt it.

the interesting thing about this case is the presence 15 witnesses from an animal pathology unit, who should know a bit about the subject matter.

possibly even more bizarre, in part 2 of the interview with richard d. hall, he mentions one case where cameras will not function in the vicinity of the carcass, and another where he asked his accomplice to go and check a carcass to see if the tongue had been removed.. and all the flies were dead too!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Nathan Berburoc

To get back on thread there , what are peoples opinons on the USO phenomena ,the underwater UFOs? link below for a 5 part show on them and the so called "Area 51 of the Ocean"

I find it fairly compelling that if there was an ET presence on the earth then the unexplored ocean would be an excellent place to set up an outpost.......presuming of course that they are not some indegeanous parrallel species who always lived there

theres an area called the Dragons Triangle in the south china seas which has seen large amount of UFO activity , huge vessels etc emerging from the ocean , and theres a set of ancient japanese folk tales about Utsuro Bune ,an woman with unusual skin emerging from a vessel from beneath the ocean

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpTTuUwBb14

i removed my comment to gbee before you had replied jonbravo, cause i realised i didnt want to waste my time with whatever he had to say regardless. so i chose to remove my comment and carry on. theres a difference between having an opinion and being sarcastic.

i believe dsufo's and ufo's are probably one and the same nathan, i mentioned a documentary earlier simply titled 'deep sea ufos'. it has some strage cases, some inolving the navy too. it would also make perfect sense to build a base underwater if they were capable of it.

have you ever heard about the bloop ?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloop

cheers for that link, ill watch it later!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,973 ✭✭✭✭briany

I used to be convinced that UFOs and aliens were indeed real. When I was ten. Now that's not a dig it's just that kids of that age can go through a phase when they are so into all that info. I still am too, just a lot more analytical now.

My opinion is that there is something going on with UFO sightings but the truth behind them, whatever that may be is a lot more closely tied to this planet than conventional theories would suggest. A race of intelligent beings from a distant star who have developed the technology for interstellar travel can also develop the technology to evade detection when observing lesser developed civilizations. They could visit here all the time and we wouldn't know. Enough alleged videos and photos of the Loch Ness monster are out there but yet we can't prove that exists and yet it's supposed to be on this planet! As people here say, the UFOs caught on video are always so shaky, so elusive. Just enough to make you wonder but never enough to convince.

Michio Kaku sums it up so well :

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Nathan Berburoc

That Bloop is really interesting Dyer , have to say a little scary too imaging the size of whatever made that hidin in the deep .... :eek:
    we know more about the surface of the moon then the ocean trenches.

I suppose if you think of David Attenborough using a "hide" in the jungle to observe animals without their knowledge its not a bit stretch to imagine ET concealing itself beneath the ocean,being able to listen and monitor without fear of discovery, but maybe at the point in technology we are reaching now they will need to up their game in the camoflague steaks,or maybe the whole point is that they reveal themselves when we are capable of making them do so

The signal itself reminded of that other anomalous possibly ET signal the so called SETI Wow signal

Yeah Briany I have to say i also verge toward the skeptical,despite my conviction that there is someone there i just dont think they would be as clumsy with being observed.Im sure theyre there just unseeaable

Theres a phrase I love from the DisclosureProject " Absence of Evidence is Not Evidence of Absence"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wow!_signal

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

dyer wrote: »
    i removed my comment to gbee before you had replied jonbravo,

Can't imagine what I said in this thread to have two reply posts removed. Not mine by the looks of it.

And I don't believe I was being sarcastic, unless a post of mine has been removed and I can't remember.

Venus came from the sea in legend too, I think there is room to correlate many instances in our known history and stories from our pre-history, which we definitely have been handed down to us.

From whom and why are questions as well as the religious interpretations of events, there is a whole cosmology that can take different turns and twists.

Like giant butterflies in the sand which had been used as 'evidence' of potential space craft landing sites and it turns out to be a prayer ritual as the once fertile land turned to desert due to a global weather shift event.

fair enough, maybe i read wrong. i dont believe any reply posts were removed (i simply removed my comment from my post after yours), i guess its my problem if i get a bit pieved at people talking about leprachauns and such when some of us take this subject a bit more seriously. anyway, i cant fault ya, i used to 'believe' there was life out there too, but was quite disinterested in what was being said out there until i had my own experiences, which i can only say, have changed my perspective profoundly. so no harm done i hope :) i respect your analogy of past history and how ancient tribes might have deified what we can now safely identify as natural phenomenon, but thats not to say the same is true for everything. i dont think the human mind ever lacked imagination thats for sure, but everything has to start somewhere.. imagine how people laughed at plato some two thousand years ago for what he had to say!

nathan : i dug up the original recording of the bloop for ya..

http://www.bloopwatch.org/bloop_realtime_nr.wav

listen to it loud ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭chops1990

Just some food for thought, sorry if this stuff was already mentioned.

If ET's are so advanced and all that crack, how come they don't make contact? They can master space travel, but not another language?

If they were real, which they could possibly be, the universe is simply too big to outright deny they exist, who's to say they'd be peaceful? For all we know they could want to enslave us or just exterminate us!! These UFO sightings could be them observing earths combined defences.

Or the opposite could be true. Maybe they are peaceful and would like to help, but why would they? They probably look at humans in disgust. We bring other species to extinction, cause wars, pollution and general badness. They might think we're beyond redemption, and simply observe us for fun.

All the same, as a species we could seriously do with being taught how to live properly by a super advanced species :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

dyer wrote: »
    if i get a bit pieved at people talking about leprachauns and such when some of us take this subject a bit more seriously. anyway, ;)

I see, that was a reference to the point that people will report what they think SHOULD be there. So as Hollywood moreorlees invented the 'grey' that's what people started reporting.

People also started reporting a similar Hollywood creature, the Leprechaun. The point being that this image of the shoe maker differs greatly from ancient Irish texts on Fairies and Leprechauns.

One can take this observation two ways; one is that people will report seeing similar to what's put in their minds. Two is that people are seeing the same things, say extraterrestial aliens but reporting them differently.

Ergo, it's not too far a stretch to think that the Leprechaun, could have in fact been an alien.

But as a boy growing up in religion, my Church used to say prayers at the end of Mass to ban both these creatures [the Leprechaun & The Faries], so they were considered 'real' but undesirable.

it all makes sense now :)

well i guess people who are trying to explain the unexplicable might well use whatever metaphor is available them to construe those experiences.
    If ET's are so advanced and all that crack, how come they don't make contact?

some people claim they do.. whether we believe them or not is another story. why they would choose certain individuals over others is entirely debatable ( you could go into energy fields, auras and telepathy if you were so inclined ), why some people have seen ufo's countless times when others have not, who knows?! i reckon light pollution has a big role to play in it. i used to live in the country and saw them all the time, ive never witnessed a ufo in any city ive lived in.. i know others have.. im just sayin its something to consider.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,973 ✭✭✭✭briany

I see, that was a reference to the point that people will report what they think SHOULD be there. So as Hollywood moreorlees invented the 'grey' that's what people started reporting.

People also started reporting a similar Hollywood creature, the Leprechaun. The point being that this image of the shoe maker differs greatly from ancient Irish texts on Fairies and Leprechauns.

One can take this observation two ways; one is that people will report seeing similar to what's put in their minds. Two is that people are seeing the same things, say extraterrestial aliens but reporting them differently.

Yes this is something that is troubling in the whole phenomenon and a potential game breaker. People are reporting what they expect to see. A product of popular culture or popular culture a product of genuine sightings/encounters? The Irish mythological leprechaun does not wear a green outfit and it's general style is nothing like what most would think of, illustrated by this 1900 engraving : Leprechaun_engraving_1900.jpg

How many would describe one as that?

The same goes for alien visitation : The Grey, The Nordic, The Reptilian and so on. I can't get over the fact that they all have two arms, two legs, forward facing eyes. A general humanoid appearance. Considering the amount of life on this planet that looks and acts so alien, considering the potential amount of planets within the life harbouring range, considering all the different biochemistries that these lifeforms could have and considering how tenacious life can be in observing the extremophile organisms on our own planet it stands to reason that with the possibilities that are out there, extraterrestrials could be so different to us that it almost defies comprehension.

They can master space travel, but not another language?

8e362f2d-1d7b-4eb4-83ab-9da8c4116318.jpg

:P

i reckon at this stage, it might be a good idea to recount my own ufo experiences if thats of any interest, as best as i can recall them at least.. would be great if any of you could do the same. ive got nothing to hide, nothing to pretend, nothing but sheer passion and curiousity about this subject. i consider myself a rather rational human being who believes in finding the facts, am rather willing to admit to my own mistakes, however, mistaking a meteor or swamp gas, a chinese lantern or a weather balloon, for a ufo, is not one of them. i might well just be your average feeble minded human being whos thoughts and experiences are not be trusted.. :)

*edit*
    just to ad these interesting videos, more related to astronomy. a nice way of showing how small we really are.

http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/george_smoot_on_the_design_of_the_universe.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bcz4vGvoxQA

a mind blowing lecture by Lawrence Klauss..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

UFO or "Unidentified Flying Object" defines it, especially the "Unidentified" part, which may also suggest that it may not in fact be a "Flying Object" in terms of what has been often unconfirmed in practice when generically tossing "Unidentified" phenomena into this category for general discussion purposes.

"Believe?" I'm not much of a believer in anything, other than the proclivity of humans to want to believe in something.

I've never personally seen a UFO, nor have I seen compelling evidence that such "Flying Objects" exist, except that they may have been "Unidentified."

Now if you asked a different question, such as do I believe that there is life elsewhere in the universe, I would say yes, provided that the universe is infinite and has infinite possibilities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭kilmuckridge

Well said Blue Lagoon,
    Whatever about belief in life on extrasolar planets etc. or at least the acceptance that it is possible/probable without making it a 'belief', no true sceptic should any more "believe" in UFOs in the sense of alien visits any more than they should believe in leprechauns, mermaids and gods. If such had visited us, and had gone to the trouble of crossing the expanse of the universe, do you really think they would land in a field to kill animals, rather than attempting some form of radio communication before landing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Never been convinced that UFO's are from other planets . . . . . .

I'll leave that hanging.

while i remain skeptical, its harder to believe they belong to us, especially with the expanse and the scope of information that is becoming available to us now.

ive just been reading about project hessdalen, a remote town in norway that has been experiencing consistent ufo activity over the past decade. they have the only ufo observatory in the word stationed there. you can access the site here.

the following video was captured on one of the remote cameras :

the image below was captured with an 8sec exposure (if i rem correctly) by students of a science camp. the interesting thing about the photo is that the lens had an optical grating which you can see on the bottom. the spectrum shows the objects were either solid or plasma, but definitely not gaseous.

SC20070907-copyright.jpg

i believe the video below depicts the same object photographed above.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭maninasia

UFO or "Unidentified Flying Object" defines it, especially the "Unidentified" part, which may also suggest that it may not in fact be a "Flying Object" in terms of what has been often unconfirmed in practice when generically tossing "Unidentified" phenomena into this category for general discussion purposes.

"Believe?" I'm not much of a believer in anything, other than the proclivity of humans to want to believe in something.

I've never personally seen a UFO, nor have I seen compelling evidence that such "Flying Objects" exist, except that they may have been "Unidentified."

Now if you asked a different question, such as do I believe that there is life elsewhere in the universe, I would say yes, provided that the universe is infinite and has infinite possibilities.

Infinity would indeed make all things possible. But you don't need infinity to say that life exists elsewhere in the universe. Try it like this, imagine that your statement was 'Earth is the only planet supporting life in the galaxy'. Now think how ridiculous that statement is, the implications of that?
    Is that the most human centred daft notion since the Earth being the centre of the solar system and the Earth is flat theory? Chemistry and physical laws are broadly the same wherever you are in the galaxy or universe, therefore life existing on Earth predicts life existing somewhere else to 99%+ percentile...not 100% but as good as. Once you find an example beyond Earth you've got your 100%!

Well said Blue Lagoon,
    Whatever about belief in life on extrasolar planets etc. or at least the acceptance that it is possible/probable without making it a 'belief', no true sceptic should any more "believe" in UFOs in the sense of alien visits any more than they should believe in leprechauns, mermaids and gods. If such had visited us, and had gone to the trouble of crossing the expanse of the universe, do you really think they would land in a field to kill animals, rather than attempting some form of radio communication before landing?

We don't know what their intentions would be and why would they use radio?
    If UFOs are representatives of life from other planets some of them have probably been on Earth or visiting Earth before we came on the scene (due to age of galaxy).
    Also 'crossing the expanse of the universe/galaxy' could be like taking a trip to New York or down the street for a very advanced civilisation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 558 ✭✭✭OurLadyofKnock

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 kgerry

I don't know what to make of Ufo's but I'm sure there has to be some forms of life on some of the other millions of planets out there, if there' life on this planet then common sense will tell you life can exist elsewhere. But you'll always have people with closed minds who will dismiss every possibility, sure it's only a couple of centuries since people thought the earth was flat, so thanks to open minded people we know otherwise and mankind can make progress, so really anything is possible.

I wrote lots of stuff that got deleted so just post these two articles to make my point..we need to be more open-minded about where life comes from and what is consists of!

Aliens but not as we know them Jim
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-11041449

Space loving bacteria...the simplest theory as to why a humble bug from a cliff can survive 1.5 years in the vacuum of space..all modern bacteria had SPACE FARING ANCESTORS AND LIFE CAME FROM OUTSIDE EARTH
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-11039206

• Registered Users Posts: 10,666 ✭✭✭✭maccored

http://www.livescience.com/space/alien-planets-solar-system-discovered-100824.html
    Alien Solar System Looks Strikingly Like Ours

Astronomers have discovered a group of at least five planets — with hints of two more — circling around a star in an arrangement similar to our own solar system. Confirmation of the extra planets would make this the highest tally of alien worlds ever spotted around a single star.
    The planets and their own sun-like star are about 127 light-years from Earth, astronomers with the European Southern Observatory said. It is one of just 15 planetary systems known to have more than three worlds.
    The five planets circle their parent star, HD 10180, in a regular pattern like the planets of our solar system, only in a more compact arrangement, the researchers said.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

Came across this while researching world war 1 - they are available to download - about 20 huge pdfs - in case anybody interested

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/ufos/

thanks maringo, the archives were already covered in an earlier post, i linked the translated version of the french report back there somewhere too which is equally worth reading.

i just happened to stumble upon some research by a latvian man called Edward Leedskalnin.. he published some papers relating to why he thought our modern understanding of electricity and magnetism was wrong, he goes as far as saying that our scientific understanding of the atom is also incorrect.

you can read the papers and related experiments here http://www.leedskalnin.com/

some people believe he used his knowledge to single handedly build Coral Castle in Florida. however he managed to do it, its still some feat! the biggest stone he erected was 30 some tonnes, bigger than anything used in the construction of the pyramids.

Its still worth mentioning the accomplishments of Wally Willington cited from wiki..
    Wally Wallington is a retired construction worker from Lapeer County, Michigan who claims to have found a way one person could construct Stonehenge using only materials and techniques that do not rely on any modern technology. He has demonstrated this technique on the Canadian science television program Daily Planet, and is building a full-scale concrete replica of Stonehenge single-handedly.

His technique uses simple machines such as levers aided by counterweights and pivots. He has successfully singlehandedly 'walked' a barn and multi-thousand pound concrete blocks using a beam lever and two pivots under the object and near the center of mass.

whether or not ed leedskalnin actually managed to manipulate gravity in some way or simply used his knowledge of simple machines to create coral castle.. his papers are quite intriguing and you can find many replications of the experiments he published on the net.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

Sorry about the repitition - will have a look at that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭housemap

I don't think anyone is here, it's too far to travel

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭a-k-47

My belief if 'they' are visiting, they are controlled from their home planet, similar to earths missions to mars etc. Our technology has basically only advanced immensly within a measely 80 -100 years. Think of it like this, its possible there is an advanced species on a similar planet with a million years of advanced technology on us!. UFO craft moving at high speed, stopping and changing direction this imo could only be done using an a.i pilot. Would not be possible for a living creature to withstand the g force created.

you might be right, but you cant discount the possibility that we dont yet understand how to cross great distances of space, or that they might exist or travel through other dimensions.
    could only be done using an a.i pilot. Would not be possible for a living creature to withstand the g force created.
    thats also a valid point, but again, we simply dont know the answer to that question and still base it on our own limited understanding and technology.

found a good documentary called Alien Earths last night, thought id share it.

• Advertisement

housemap wrote: »

What if they live for millions of years or are immortal, still too far to travel?

Advertisement