Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFO's - what do you believe?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

[Jackass] wrote: »
    I'm not saying it's right or wrong, or real or fake, but how about a UFO incident from January of this year, recorded by four independent witnesses, all from different angles? This was witnessed over Jerusalem on 27th January 2011...

Camera men one & two are beside eachother...

One & Two snycd

Video Three

Video Four

Three of them snycd

Above Top Secret has examined this in great length and it is a hoax unfortunately

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭dyer

question is, why the feck do ppl waste their time with this crap when there is so much legitimate information out there.. then again.. wtf do people write a virus eh.. tis the scourge of the internet i guess :)

so one video gets proven as a hoax, and the subject is a joke and point of reference for skeptics all over again.. makes perfect sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭t0mm13b

Ok....having read through this thread ... I'd like to offer my 2cents,

I am quite an open-minded chappie - aint we all... I do sincerely believe that there are things that are seen, that cannot be explained rationally, either down to our limitation and understanding or that we're too wrapped up in ourselves to take note of what's going on...

The video footages in the previous posting above, interesting... but... this is where things could get skewed, "oh... there's an anti-christ coming"... ffs

Look at it more objectively and think, "Are events throughout human history being influenced by the UFO's in ways we do not comprehend nor understand"... the vulnerability of governments is inherently shown when they dismiss the stories of UFO's as if to say "Yeah, we are pretty secured and so is our airspace" - they do not want to admit that there WAS a breach in airspace but cannot say nor prove... sure they can send out jet fighters to find out just wtf was that...

Another possibility, our technology are not exactly up to snuff to be able to work out what it is, sure we have beowolf clusters, super crays, etc... but the irony is the technology is hampered by our limitation in understanding, if we were able to build technology on the premise of being open-minded, then maybe the technology can tell us what's out there...

Either way, we are definitely not alone, for fcuk sake, I pointed out in a thread titled "Strange but interesting facts" about light years.. the harsh and cold reality is, there's gazillions upon bazillions of galaxies out there, that are in terms of magnitude, billions, trillions, quadrillions, sextillions (ok I made the last one up) of LIGHT YEARS away, and we are a primitive race (despite the brouhaha down the years, technologies, wars etc... you name it).

And yet, we do not have the capabilites of WARP drive (ok, taking a leaf from star trek which I <3), despite Richard Branson offering tickets to space that is only attainable by the upper echelons of society who can afford it...

So I say, be open-minded.... and do not treat things as if people are crackpots, or have been smoking from a bong pipe... which is what exactly the governments are doing - silencing and oppressing the real truth... by coming out with a "official statement that its a weather balloon" ffs, we're not stupid, but we're being made to feel stupid by those in power....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭EarlERizer

I'm not going to blind you with science....because I cant!! ,I'm not going to post any pictures,video's or links to try confirm or debunk what others put out there.
    I'm just going to have my t'upence worth as it's an area that's facinated,intrigued,baffled and provoked me over the years,many of us from when we were kids have been intrigued by space,looking toward the stars in wonder & awe,sure it was those very feelings that sent man to space,our continued drive to search & explore further & deeper into the cosmos.
    So,on that note.....
    I think it's pompous of us to believe we are the only planet in the infinity of space that harbours intelligent life,I also think it's very presumptous of us to believe we're actually indigenous to this planet,evolution? I queston it,Darwins theory? I dont buy it,Theology? too exclusive,Science? a muddle of theories,facts & distortion,I've never seen a UFO but thats not to say I don't (or do) believe in ETILF's...none of us have ever seen God but blindly unwaveringly believe (or dont) in him....I believe we may never know for certain (atleast not in any of our lifetimes) if there are ET's out there,watching,visiting,checking back whatever,atleast not unless it was to come to pass like a scene from a Hollywood blockbuster,sure if it was to come about in more discreet ways we couldnt trust the powers that be to tell us the truth, personally I look at things around us here on this beautiful planet we call ours and it baffles me, things like the Egyptians, the Inca's,The Astecs,The Myans,The Inuits and most other ancient natives how they had such a vast knowledge of the stars,from their writings and drawings to their buildings, jeez their buildings alone have to make you wonder, Pyramids built in perfect formation,an amazing feat in anyones eyes when you think here we are thousands of years later unable to determine or replicate how exactly these were built,structures aligned not only with each other but on the same lay lines on opposite sides of the world and with the stars above, drawings at these places depicting almost identical images,drawings by races/cultures so detached from each other geographically, even in the bibles of today there are passages that refer to out of this world visitations,we assume we are "Intelligent" yet we've barely scratched the surface of our own genetics,we use a small percentage of our brain (obviously we use 100% mechanically but I mean as in our potential), None of us (outside of the elite in governments,science,astronomy -NASA etc ,and even then they know little more than us average joes) really have any clue as to what is,isn't may or may not be out there,what immediate treat if any that we as a species are facing,the Dec 2012 apocolyptic date has been talked about for decades,here we are not too far from the date and look at the state the world is in today,ice caps melting,continents experiencing climatic changes theyve never had before,sea levels apparently rising & sea temps increasing...are these all solely mankinds doing or are there other influences? as we all know the cycle of Earth & the moon determines tidal cycles, the earths orbit of the sun determines the seasonal changes.Could it be there are cosmological forces at play? the theory of Nibiru? Planet X? Like I said earlier,I dont think (and certainly hope) that anything like Armageddon will happen in our lifetime but I do believe we're heading towards it,maybe we're just unfortunate to be around at the end of this planets lifespan,maybe we've just enough time to "jump ship" and head off into infinity in search of our next stop,after all it's my belief we only got here after leaving the last place we made a mess of before it went BANG!

Right,I'll leave it there :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

I have just invented a great universal translating device, it's key component is called 'paragraphs'.

• Advertisement

dyer wrote: »
    question is, why the feck do ppl waste their time with this crap when there is so much legitimate information out there.. then again.. wtf do people write a virus eh.. tis the scourge of the internet i guess :)

so one video gets proven as a hoax, and the subject is a joke and point of reference for skeptics all over again.. makes perfect sense.

There's not really any point to look at videos on youtube...they are a waste of space. Even videos that haven't been tampered with are usually of bugs, planes, balloons, secret military aircraft etc. Even famous cases are odds on to be military related (Phoenix Lights was probably flares and then a separate stealth blimp/triangle in the vicinity, the Belgian UFO flap was probably the same stealth blimp/triangle in operation with radar jamming technology).
    Some older photos might be genuine.
    In reality, it seems, if some UFOs really are ET in origin, they have some capacity to avoid electronic devices or camoflauge themselves. They may also be able literally to mess with our minds (as has been reported on numerous occasions, I don't believe in the abduction phenonomena but they may induce memory loss in witnesses, I think reports of abductions are simply from suggestions of hypnotists/other people later and the brain just fills in the missing blanks). Otherwise it is hard to account for the many legitimate sounding sightings but lack of any corroborating footage. It also wouldn't be hard for an advanced civilisation to detect the presence of electronics. The main way they may stay out of our way is simply not visiting populated places.

maninasia wrote: »
    I have just invented a great universal translating device, it's key component is called 'paragraphs'.

Laughing_hard.gif

Brilliant, man your wit is wasted here on boards,you should take it on the road!! ....seriously,it stands out :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

maninasia wrote: »
    There's not really any point to look at videos on youtube...they are a waste of space. Even videos that haven't been tampered with are usually of bugs, planes, balloons, secret military aircraft etc. Even famous cases are odds on to be military related (Phoenix Lights was probably flares and then a separate stealth blimp/triangle in the vicinity, the Belgian UFO flap was probably the same stealth blimp/triangle in operation with radar jamming technology).
    Some older photos might be genuine.
    In reality, it seems, if some UFOs really are ET in origin, they have some capacity to avoid electronic devices or camoflauge themselves. They may also be able literally to mess with our minds (as has been reported on numerous occasions, I don't believe in the abduction phenonomena but they may induce memory loss in witnesses, I think reports of abductions are simply from suggestions of hypnotists/other people later and the brain just fills in the missing blanks). Otherwise it is hard to account for the many legitimate sounding sightings but lack of any corroborating footage. It also wouldn't be hard for an advanced civilisation to detect the presence of electronics. The main way they may stay out of our way is simply not visiting populated places.

And then the question would be why they want to stay out of our way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Jimmy the Wheel

Anyone interested in UFOs should read the recently published Mirage Men, which basically outlines how the majority of UFO incidents in the US were initiated by th US military itself, to mask their own activities and the development of their own technologies.

They interview some of the disinformation agents who fed documents to ufologists, and show how, and why, some of the most famous UFO incidents, Roswell, Mesa etc. were complete fabrications.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭WobyTide

It seems to me that the only reasonable stance to take on UFO's is an agnostic one. I'm personally of a scientific bent and try to make decision in my life and judge things on an evaluation of evidence and a determination of plausibilty.

In that mindset, it's quite clear to me that there is so much hokum out there - homeopathy, reiki, astrology, horoscopes, ghosts, spirits etc etc etc - that it is rather easy (and mostly reasonable to be fair) to lump ufo stuff in there with them and in fact I tend to do that. All of the guff you see on the internet, be it pics, video or witness accounts is almost certainly entirely fabricated. I'd go so far as to say that nobody has ever seen an object on earth or in near space that is the result of intelligent design (let's not go there) by anything other than a human being.

Far more interesting to me is a discussion of the plausibility that there is intelligent life on other planets, circling other stars and what the technological requirements would be for us to visit them or vice versa. That, to me, is a debate worth having. Poring over clearly faked videos on youtube or videos of what are clearly some earthly phenomenon (like chinese lanterns) is, in my very humble opinion, a waste of time (I'm not accusing anyone of doing such). If some alien civilisation is out there and does somehow, some day come to pay us a visit, I'm pretty sure they won't announce themselves by having some drunk guy in rural Albuquerque videoing the failure of their cloaking technology.

• Advertisement

<i>Science? a muddle of theories,facts & distortion</i>

I have no idea what you mean by this EarlErizer ? Are you confusing your lack of understanding of the scientific process with science itself ?

Above Top Secret has examined this in great length and it is a hoax unfortunately

Apparently they are still saying they do not know.

Jerusalem UFO Video: Orb Was Fired At

http://www.ghosttheory.com/2011/02/14/jerusalem-ufo-video-orb-was-fired-at

It seems to me that the only reasonable stance to take on UFO's is an agnostic one. I'm personally of a scientific bent and try to make decision in my life and judge things on an evaluation of evidence and a determination of plausibilty.

thats a reasonable stance to take.. but if you ever happen to witness a UFO up close then you might start to realise perhaps all these things people are accounting for might not be a load of crap after all.. mind you, some of it is, i dont doubt that at all.

i dont know if agnosticism really suits the purpose you intended it for.. as these are functional craft that exist most certainly, in reality. that has nothing todo with faith. whether we refuse to acknowledge it or not doesn't change the fact. personally, i find it harder to believe that they are man made than i do the notion of them being extraterrestrial.. and thats not just because i like to blindly believe it.. i have seen them for myself, and that experience conjures up a range of emotions.. from awe, fascination and curiousity, to a sense of fear and confusion.. these things are not supposed to exist afterall?

there's really not one shred of evidence that already does exist that will change your mind unless you happen to witness something of this phenomenon for yourself. if your father told you a story, and you knew he would never lie to you about something like that, would you believe him? many of the most hardended skeptics have been converted through proper research and their own experiences. at least now there are reputable sources coming forward who are willing to extract fact from fantasy in this field of study.
    All of the guff you see on the internet, be it pics, video or witness accounts is almost certainly entirely fabricated.

sry but i disagree with this statement entirely, the chances that 100% of all documented evidence is entirely fabricated is rather.. unlikely. the chances you're just looking at the wrong evidence, is greater.

we are really quite infantile in our understanding of the universe.. each time we take one step forward in cosmology we tend to take two steps back in another. how many theories are there atm about the big bang? the no big bang? inflation theory? string theory? a universe born from black holes? universes that will collapse.. universes that wont? emerging theories that suggest something before the big bang? dark energy? dark matter? quarks? dimensions? the theory of everything? we havent a foggy notion.. but we'll never get anywhere by assuming we do.

last and least.. if this technology, these extraordinary machines people are seeing, are indeed actual man made vehicles.. what purpose would it serve to keep it shrouded in such mystery most of the world doubt their existence at all? its akin to discovering nuclear fission and keeping it to yourself.

i really cant pretend to know whats happening no more than anyone else can.. but i find it really, really, reaaaaaaaaaally sad, that very intelligent people will sit back and dismiss everything that is happening and choose to live in their little existential bubbles, than to acknowledge, that there is something going on here... but how can you fault anyone? we grew up with these stories, and they were always the stuff of fiction.. its going to take more than a leap of faith for people to realise its actually real.

so there goes another chinese lantern.. (go back to sleep america)

ps. sry, i edit my posts alot ;)

Hey Dyer, great post. Not that I agree with it but still. . .

I tend to go for the Occam's razor approach to UFO's. Take every UFO ever seen and remove the ones that were natural phenomenon, military craft, hoaxes or just plain made up by the observer - Sure we'll be left with some but that still presents us with several options including unknown environmental phenomena, genuine aliens from another planet, aliens from another universe (of the apparent multiverse that is quite popular in current physics) etc. On balance I just would not bet heavily on it being anything other than unknown climate phenomena or other terrestrial based objects.

I would also disagree that we are quite infantile in our understanding of the universe. The process by which the universe was created from a few micro seconds after the big bang is well understood. All the things you've mentioned are theories that physicists have come up with to explain observations. Most of them work remarkably well in doing so. The fact that they don't answer all questions isn't relevant, they will eventually be superceded by more accurate or more encompassing theories but that doesn't make them wrong any more than Einstein's theory of relativity makes Newton's laws of motion wrong. They're just not the full story.

As for why these machines are kept secret - well my guess is that it's for obvious military reasons. A huge swathe of the ufo community during the 80's and early 90's was dominated by black triangular craft."Reliable" witnesses from all over the world reported seeing them with comments on how they were completely silent, moved at impossible speeds, manouvered at impossible angles and performed other fantastic feats. Sure enough as the years passed everyone became aware of the US stealth capabilities and the black triangular craft turned out to be nothing more than that.

Was there any critique from ufology circles about how clearly it was sightings of these craft that was responsible for all the reports ? Of course not, they just moved on to the next thing. It strikes me a little bit like Intelligent Design enthusiasts who hammer science for not being able to explain the evolution of the eye. Sure as ****e, when science does explain the eye they just move on to something else.

I don't mean to dispute, belittle or cast doubt on your experiences but you have to accept that from my perspective your experiences are anecdotal evidence with no context. Perhaps you're correct and to believe I'd have to witness something for myself. I want to believe, I just won't do so without plausible valid evidence.

Good post, I'd just point out that black triangle sightings are just as common now as in the 90s and they don't seem to be related to known stealth craft such as the B2 bomber or F117, because they fly too slowly and are too big. They are probably some type of hybrid blimp/plane. They are almost certainly USAF/NATO though as they pop up very often in the US and UK and of course Belgium.

Dyer also has a very valid point. The UFO phenomenon could be very rare (or rarely observed) and therefore Occam's razor could well be wrong in this case. Indeed Occam's razor only weighs known possibilities and the balance of 'well known things'. In that case Occam's razor would probaly rule out most great scientific advances until they were staring us in the face.
    If we are to believe Dyer saw what he saw (and if we were Dyer) then Occams razor fails miserably. I am of a scientific bent myself, it's very importan to be skeptical and think of all the angles but sometimes science doesn't deal well with poorly observed or rare phenomena.

i totally respect the direction you are coming from wobytide and believe it or not, we share similiar views. i dont feel belittled or threatened whatsoever, i enjoy a good debate as long as its intelligent. afterall, there always exists a possibility that i might be wrong in my beliefs and im willing to accept that.

it's kind of difficult to apply occam's razor to a subject that is rarely taken seriously in it's own right, the biggest problem being obviously, that so far no tangible physical evidence exists to examine in the first place. video photage by and large fails us completely and the pictures are rarely good enough. in the end, all we really have is the witness accounts of people who are sharing their collective experiences. at the moment, the best we can do is trust the information revealed to us through credible sources.. but who are we trying to convince afterall?

when i began this journey through my own experiences, i must admit i was quite overwhelmed with the amount of information that's out there. it's easy to get caught up in the madness of it and maybe in this sense occam's rule might well apply! it is best to keep things simple, especially in a subject as precarious as this, you need to rely on your common sense and intuition. i wouldn't and don't expect anyone to ever believe in anything i've said unless they were standing right beside me and saw it for themselves, but i can relate to people who have described similiar things in other parts of the world because of it, and i certainly have a more open mind to other peoples experiences as a result.

our current understanding of the universe is quite well developed in many ways.. and yet worlds apart in others. we still miss some fundamental ingredients. most of the aforementioned theories do work remarkably well, indeed there are also more ways than one to bake a cake :) (certainly that is one problem that exists with computer models) but really i was just pointing out half hazardly that our scientific knowledge is somewhat more like a patchwork quilt, and not the be all end all some profess it to be.. we still have much to learn.

as maninasia pointed out, the triangle phenomenon still occurs to this day. the most interesting cases im aware of being the phoenix lights, the incidents in belgium and a more recent sighting in san diego. if you're interested, there is a documentary here about the belgian sightings : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4JsPSKYypk and another relating to the phoenix lights : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiwSGbW7QYU there are certainly many, many more sightings from around the world if you dig a bit deeper.

one night a few years ago, as i observed two 'orb' ufo's, one of them shot a beam of light directly into my eyes.. i can only describe it as a laser of sorts, the strangest thing (apart from me saying this;) was that it didn't light anything in the vicinity, it didn't blind me in the least, and i was shrouded in complete darkness in the afterhours of a quiet crystal clear night in the country side. the only thing i could tell myself at the time was that it was a helicopter, but i was shaken because i knew with all certainty that it wasn't. there was no noise whatsoever, the two objects traversed the sky like ping pong balls performing absolutely incredible maneuvers before zipping off into space faster than any shooting star you've ever seen. the funny thing is, i never heard of anything like this again until a good time later while watching the film 'easy rider' .. after they picked up jack nicholson they stopped at a camp fire and he began to tell them a story about a ufo, what he'd said was almost identical to that experience. the only other time i came across anything like it was a case i read in one of the reports contained in the english national archives.

if something like that happened to you, you would logically, undoubtedly question it, and possibly everything you thought you knew about ufo's. i have had many chance encounters, why me and not you? who knows? perhaps i like to spend more time looking at the night sky than most people? anyhow, as i iterated before, i'm not here to spread any gospel truth about any of this or to convince anyone of anything.. i just know i've been fortunate enough to have some extraordinary experiences and the scientist in me, wants to know what they are..

• Registered Users Posts: 21 jordanator

Well, here's my take on UFO's and Extra-terrestrials.
    To me, UFO's definitely exist, as do E.T.s. I think of the universe. Think of it. Think of every single planet in it. Come on, there has to be over a million billion trillion planets out there. Now just think. How can we, on planet earth, be the only intelligent being in the whole universe? Of course out on some of them planets, there is life. And I believe on some planets life has been around for billions of years. So I guess that the life would be intelligent, in fact far more intelligent then us human beings. So much so, that they have created UFO's and space ships/vehicles, and who knows what.
    But, in saying that, I don't think E.T.s have visited Earth, at least recently. I'm open to the Ancient astronaut theory, but I really don't see Aliens visiting earth now. I think that our technology, despite possibly being infinitesimally inferior to E.T.s tech, should at least be able to pickup Ships/vehicles coming to our planet. So, I think our tech would have identified the UFO's coming to our planet, from wherever.
    I would love for our race to find life outside of our planet, but I would be concerned. I am all with Stephen Hawking's theory that if we came into contact with intelligent life outside of ours, that they would pillage our world for resources. Or maybe they would be nice aliens, I don't know.
    About the AA theory, I am a bit of both really. I agree that Aliens could have visited us, but I would say the indigenous tribes or civilisations would have recorded the visit somehow. Be it cave paintings, or text. But, who knows, maybe, if Aliens did come, the tribes followed them as Gods, and todays religions are based on them? Our God could be an Alien afterall.
    Anyway, that's just my 2 cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

Interesting reading some of the posts that have amassed here, there are many possible scenarios that may be playing out but as everyone knows its near impossible to say which is correct and which is wrong.

There are a few assumptions that I've seen that don't hold much ground, granted that most if not all this field of study is based on assumptions.

@jordanator
    You say that if ETs have visited earth we would know based on our technologies, you have to take into account that the technology in the public domain is at least 30 years behind what the governments around the world have behind closed doors as is science theory and practice, also science is based on a human understanding of how things work which is a completely other subject/discussion that I wont get into. But the technology that we don't know about yet could easily hide or distract us from the truth, I'm not saying it is, I'm just saying its a possibility.

Also with regards to space, we know what we're 'allowed' to know, 99.9% of information on the internet and in books and every other resource has filtered down through one of the hand full of agencies that have the capabilities to go into space or put equipment into space for comms or research. With such few agencies either governmental or private sector its very easy to maintain a hold on what information filters down to the public domain.

There are many possible out comes, it could be a case that life on earth is as people have been saying for years the 'Goldilocks Effect' and if this is the case people will want to find life and any other species to exist out there somewhere as the idea or prospect of being the only living or even the only living intelligent organism in the universe scares the hell out of a lot of people.

jordanator wrote: »
    Well, here's my take on UFO's and Extra-terrestrials.
    To me, UFO's definitely exist, as do E.T.s. I think of the universe. Think of it. Think of every single planet in it. Come on, there has to be over a million billion trillion planets out there. Now just think. How can we, on planet earth, be the only intelligent being in the whole universe? Of course out on some of them planets, there is life. And I believe on some planets life has been around for billions of years. So I guess that the life would be intelligent, in fact far more intelligent then us human beings. So much so, that they have created UFO's and space ships/vehicles, and who knows what.
    But, in saying that, I don't think E.T.s have visited Earth, at least recently. I'm open to the Ancient astronaut theory, but I really don't see Aliens visiting earth now. I think that our technology, despite possibly being infinitesimally inferior to E.T.s tech, should at least be able to pickup Ships/vehicles coming to our planet. So, I think our tech would have identified the UFO's coming to our planet, from wherever.
    I would love for our race to find life outside of our planet, but I would be concerned. I am all with Stephen Hawking's theory that if we came into contact with intelligent life outside of ours, that they would pillage our world for resources. Or maybe they would be nice aliens, I don't know.
    About the AA theory, I am a bit of both really. I agree that Aliens could have visited us, but I would say the indigenous tribes or civilisations would have recorded the visit somehow. Be it cave paintings, or text. But, who knows, maybe, if Aliens did come, the tribes followed them as Gods, and todays religions are based on them? Our God could be an Alien afterall.
    Anyway, that's just my 2 cents.

I can tell you that if ET makes it to earth it's like turning a light switch if they don't want us to see them. Just think about it, cutting edge aircraft technology NOW is already able to avoid radar and visual detection. Now imagine 1000s or millions of years in advance of us? The likeliehood is that if advanced ETs exist that have been around a very long time and probably here before humans evolved (simply a matter of statistics), it is extremely unlikely that they just showed up in the 20th century. Which then begs the question, if they have visited why did they not obviously show themselves/interfere/colonise? Also the idea of 'visit' Earth might be a misnomer. Whose to say that ET intelligent entities don't live around here? They don't neccessarily have to visit from somewhere else!

Look at the science of metamaterials...once you can bend light around an object the object is undetectable (unless you fired a great big missile at a random piece of sky but of course anything advanced would move out it's way in an instant). There is a 'hole' in the middle but there is no way for you to ascertain that, you can't even tell that there is anything different with any of the senses at our disposal (unless they are making noise, something like that). If you shine a light or any type of electromagnetic radiation at it simply reflects objects BEHIND the hidden object.

http://tdwgeeks.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/d4870636-da93-4d7f-9c16-394c7584ab70.jpg

• Advertisement

what i find most interesting are sightings that predate manned flight.

a case appeared in the 'St. Louis Democrat, Oct. 19, 1865' in which a man named john lumley who saw a ufo fly over him and crash into the forest.
    Lumley was about 175 miles above the Upper Missouri in Great Falls Montana. He was on his way back to his camp site when he saw a “bright luminous body in the heavens.” It went rapidly into an eastern direction and was plainly visible for about five seconds. As it flew Lumley saw it burst into an explosion in the sky and he later heard an explosion. It was shortly followed by a strong wind through the forest like a tornado, and the event left the air smelling like sulfur.
    The next day, after walking two miles, he saw a path “several rods wide” made through the forest. He followed the path and discovered an object or rather a stone on the side of the mountain. What was unusual about this stone is that it had strange hieroglyphics and glass in it.

you can see the original clipping and other information relating to it here.

In April of 1897, people in five Midwestern states reported various accounts of an oblong shape in the sky. The accounts were reported from April 5th to April 19th.

The first recorded sighting was in Omaha Nebraska where more than 100 people witnessed the appearance of a flying object more than 12 feet long. It was shiny and made of steel. The object became so luminous that the brightness awoke people from their sleep.

a russian document was discovered, apparently written in 1808 describing an apparent ufo over the kremlin, it was accompanied with a sketch seen below.

nlo.jpg
    Moscow daily Komsomolskaya Pravda publishes a document from a personal archive that tells of a UFO spotted over Kremlin back in 1808. “I found this document in the personal archive of a Moscow senator Peter Poludensky, who worked for the Tsar’s Secret Service and died in the middle of XIX century. Apparently the manuscript attracted his attention for some reason,” says Alexander Afanasyev, an expert of the Russian State History Museum, department of manuscripts.
    “Ufology is really not my area, but I am determined that the manuscript describes a UFO.”
    “Radiance Over the Kremlin”
    “On September, 1, 1808, at 8 o’clock and 7 minutes in the afternoon, in the sky, clear and sown with stars, a phenomenon appeared, incomparable in its beauty and rigor, as well as in radiance and enormous size, to anything seen before. As we noticed it, attracted by the loud cracking sound, it was rising in an arch over the horizon, from 55’ to almost 90’. Having passed this distance in an instant, it stopped among the clouds as if over the Kremlin and looked like a long straight plate some nine arshin (6.35 meter) long and half arshin (0.35 meter) thick.
    Then on its front edge, turned to the South-West, an oval flame flared, some two arshin (1.4 meter) long and one and a half arshin (1.4 meter) thick, with a flame that can only be compared to the radiance of burning phosphor.
    Floating in a circle without open fire or sparkle, it nonetheless lighted everything around as broad daylight; then the flame went out, the light disappeared, but the bright plate remained and quite smoothly went perpendicularly upwards, reached the stars and still could be seen for some two minutes and then, without disappearing, it became invisible due to the extraordinary height.”
    Indeed, the mysterious object described bears resemblance to modern UFOs descroptions by its ability to stop and start off abruptly, radiating light, regular shape. However, Afanasyev rules out the possibility of the manuscript being a fake.
    “Impossible. The manuscript is written on authentic paper, produced in 1805. The spelling and the style obviously belong to the beginning of XIX century, and the author must have been an educated person, probably a Moscow State University professor, since the University is just across the street from the Kremlin.”

for those interested in the theory of ancient astronauts, theres a good interview here with a certain 'John McPherson, Assoc. Professor, Dept. of Human and Molecular Genetics, Texas' about junk DNA and current theories relating to our understanding (or lack of) the human genome.

http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/ciencia/ciencia_adn07.htm

I enjoyed the description of the UFO by Mr. Lumley. What he described almost to a T was a meteorite exploding at low altitude causing the smell of sulphur, a major chunk still continued to earth and created the path observed as it ploughed through the forest. The tornado effect was the shockwave from the impact.

The glass and hieroglyphics?

Take a look at these photos...

http://www.rockhounds.com/rockshop/meteor2.jpg (crystal formations)
    http://rst.gsfc.nasa.gov/Sect19/gib1400.jpg
    http://peaceandloveism.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2796 (the glass observed by the metor impact above was probably silica/sand melting in the rocks that were impacted by the meteorite)

The other descriptions are interesting to. As for 'junk DNA' it is not junk DNA at all but it's function is only slowly revealing itself, it contains elements that regulate genes to an extra level, it may also help with the structure of DNA and of course other unknown functions. Large parts of junk DNA are repeating elements or genes that copied and lost function or viruses that integrated millions of years ago, their original function has been lost, however it is broadly known what they come from or how they were created (i.e if you look at them you can see they are mostly random insertion events into the genome). Other animals and plants have junk DNA but bacteria do not. The scientists explanation of junk DNA and whether we can detect patterns and recognise real versus random patterns in it is quite good! Also whether the patterns detected would have a normal biological function and what that is may take time to discover.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭jonbravo

the most interesting information about ufos you can find.. would have to the suggestive information experts give:)
    we all have a tendency to theorize to the point that we could be watching the x-files or a star wars film.
    I don't believe being alone would terrorize the mass of world, were not alone.

thanks maninasia, appreciate your opinion (as ever).. and certainly, in the case of mr lumley.. you could well be right, but the information is so scarce and the facts so scattered you could take either side of the fence. could crystal formations look like hieroglyphs to someone? of course they could. if he was uneducated.. but these are assumptions.. if he actually described them as hieroglyphs, we could also presume he might have known what hieroglyphs look like, and they are quite unlike formations of crystal or glass etc.. they are entirely something different.. something tangible.

in the rendlesham forest incident, one of the main observers who purportedly got so close that he actually touched a craft and was able to sketch the symbols he had seen, and also described them as hieroglyphs.. doesnt actually suggest that they were exactly like hieroglyphs imo.. more like symbols or characters with some kind of artistic expression that reminded him of that.. how else can you describe things the world has never seen except by association? im sure mr. adams could step in here and do better than i ever could.. in fact im sure he has im just too drunk to rem :)

largely.. i guess, for all those people who point their fingers toward secret military aircraft etc, how can they explain these occurences that have happened before the wright brothers ever left the ground.. before people even KNEW it was ever possible.. that they would describe such similiar things in the sky as people are seeing today. if that's not proof enough, what is? :)

ps.. i dont offer links/info as critical proof.. merely curiosities.. especially with regard to that junk dna stuff, it happened to be with a man who is quite reputable in his field, and rare enough that someone with his credentials would entertain such ideas idealogically and respectfully in the first place, so in that that respect i thought it was worthwhile :)

a mate passed this link on to me just there.. whether its a load of bull or not is anyone's guess :)

http://www.johnsearlstory.com/trailer3.html

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

The MoD in the UK, released a batch of declassified files today in relation to UFO reports. - http://www.breakingnews.ie/world/uk-government-releases-thousands-of-classified-ufo-x-files-495848.html

They are available here for a limited time only, so save them if you want to read them in detail - http://ufos.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Some of the files relating to the 'Rendlesham Incident' are reported to have went missing - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12613690

The MoD in the UK, released a batch of declassified files today in relation to UFO reports. - http://www.breakingnews.ie/world/uk-government-releases-thousands-of-classified-ufo-x-files-495848.html

They are available here for a limited time only, so save them if you want to read them in detail - http://ufos.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Some of the files relating to the 'Rendlesham Incident' are reported to have went missing - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12613690

Some very interesting stuff in this.Thanks That will take sometime to go through.

Have you seen this yet the Ufo caught on radar?
    http://www.openminds.tv/air-traffic-controllers-in-siberia-track-ufo-618/

Nick Pope, who investigated UFOs for Britain’s Ministry of Defence, told The Sun, “Given that the UFO was tracked on radar, we’ve got some hard evidence that something extraordinary happened.” Even more extraordinary is the claim by air traffic controllers that a female-sounding alien spoke to them in a cat-like language when they tried to communicate with the unknown object.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭shuffles88

First time poster here, I just wanted to put up an experience I had in August (14th of August 2010) last year. Myself and my buddy had gone to Wicklow Gaol for one of their night-time Paranormal investigations and while not much actually happened to us inside the gaol, at one of the break times between moving around the gaol one of the couples that were there went out for a smoke. A couple of minutes later the man came in and said "Does anyone here believe in U.F.O's?!" Surprisingly he was met with silence and looks that said oh you must be kidding and no one jumped up out of their seat to see what he was talking about, but my friend and I were bored and went out to see what he was talking about.

When we went out his fiancée was looking up at the sky above the prison they pointed out what they were talking about, at first I didn't think much of what I saw. It was a round/oval shape, quite large, it appeared not to be moving and it "glittered" with flashing red, green and blue lights, I immediately said "oh I saw a huge kite there earlier today maybe that's what we're looking at?" and continued to try explain what it may be. A medium who had come out kept insisting it was little grey men :rolleyes:. We probably watched it for 4 minutes or so and all of us tried to get it on film/take a picture of it, I dont know what the couple's footage turned out like but my friends showed nothing but a blue dot and I tried to take pictures but nothing showed up but a small white blur. Just as I was saying again the kite could have L.E.D'S on it or something we realized it had in fact moved while we were watching it and as this happened it sort of tilted up and zipped around erratically in a zig zag fashion, incredibly fast and then suddenly moved back to its original position and more quickly than I can put into words moved away from us in a straight line. Now I'm not saying it was defiantly aliens but it really flabbergasted me.

I'd love to know if anyone else saw it or lives in Wicklow town and can explain to me what it was. I always wonder if that couple got any footage of it......

shuffles88 wrote: »
    First time poster here, I just wanted to put up an experience I had in August (14th of August 2010) last year. Myself and my buddy had gone to Wicklow Gaol for one of their night-time Paranormal investigations and while not much actually happened to us inside the gaol, at one of the break times between moving around the gaol one of the couples that were there went out for a smoke. A couple of minutes later the man came in and said "Does anyone here believe in U.F.O's?!" Surprisingly he was met with silence and looks that said oh you must be kidding and no one jumped up out of their seat to see what he was talking about, but my friend and I were bored and went out to see what he was talking about.

When we went out his fiancée was looking up at the sky above the prison they pointed out what they were talking about, at first I didn't think much of what I saw. It was a round/oval shape, quite large, it appeared not to be moving and it "glittered" with flashing red, green and blue lights, I immediately said "oh I saw a huge kite there earlier today maybe that's what we're looking at?" and continued to try explain what it may be. A medium who had come out kept insisting it was little grey men :rolleyes:. We probably watched it for 4 minutes or so and all of us tried to get it on film/take a picture of it, I dont know what the couple's footage turned out like but my friends showed nothing but a blue dot and I tried to take pictures but nothing showed up but a small white blur. Just as I was saying again the kite could have L.E.D'S on it or something we realized it had in fact moved while we were watching it and as this happened it sort of tilted up and zipped around erratically in a zig zag fashion, incredibly fast and then suddenly moved back to its original position and more quickly than I can put into words moved away from us in a straight line. Now I'm not saying it was defiantly aliens but it really flabbergasted me.

I'd love to know if anyone else saw it or lives in Wicklow town and can explain to me what it was. I always wonder if that couple got any footage of it......

Dont want to sound like a sceptic but what you describe above (in bold) sounds alot like the movement a kite might make (be it on one string or two) or was this thing jsut too high to be considered a kite? ,when you say "more quickly .....moved away from us in a straight line" what kind of distance are you talking?

I've heard some strange stories from people who drove across the hills at "sallys gap" and saw things they couldnt explain,one particular story was from a few guys i knew (these guys would be considered 'tough nuts') ,anyway they saw soemthing that 1) spooked the living bejeezus out of them and 2) they couldnt dismiss nor explain , but basically they say it was "something that kept changing from side to side above them as they drove along the road across sallys gap.

It hadnt got wings,hadnt got lights,just a dark grey metallic looking "yoke" that seemed to be following them before disappearing across their line of veiw as they drove along by the forest, they were afraid to stop the car, and they were convinced whatever it was was going to be there around each turn they took along the road.

They still dont like recalling it....i'm only sorry i wasnt there to see for myself as trying to talk to the individuals is like getting blood from a stone! (i think its more of a 'keeping up appearances male pride thing' than post trauma lol)

Note: Paragraphed for the benefit of maninasia :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭shuffles88

EarlERizer wrote: »
    Dont want to sound like a sceptic but what you describe above (in bold) sounds alot like the movement a kite might make (be it on one string or two) or was this thing jsut too high to be considered a kite? ,when you say "more quickly .....moved away from us in a straight line" what kind of distance are you talking?

It was much higher in the sky than the kite was, and also this was around 12 o'clock at night. The thing that I also think disproved my own theory of it being a kite was i think the L.E.D's would have had to be absolutely enormous to be as bright and vibrant as we saw them it would have been more L.E.D than kite.

The distance was as far as the eye could see and as I said its more quick than I can accurately describe. I suppose if I could liken it to anything it was like if you stood in the middle of a straight road and looked down it as far as your eye could see it had that sort of perspective of starting out large and then progressively becoming a dot.

I don't mind if your skeptical anyway :cool: I'm skeptical and I saw it! All I will say is it was a U.F.O in so far as none of us could agree on identifying it so it's an unidentified flying object not necessarily aliens not necessarily a top secret aircraft being tested, just something unidentifiable.

Advertisement