Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem neighbours

Options
  • 15-05-2010 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

I'd be grateful to get advice on how to get rid of problem neighbours.
    I live in an apartment complex and the people who live next door are an absolute nightmare, they have no respect for anyone or anything here.
    They are an couple who have all sorts of different family members coming to stay, they and their visitors use the corral for the bin area as a toilet, as a result there is a constant smell of urine and even faeces on the ground. They use the bushes outside their door as a dumping ground for all sorts of disgusting rubbish, including bikes which have been stolen from nearby gardens. I've seen what I believe to be drug deals taking place in the car park. The kids that come to stay run riot outside, damaging parked cars and intimidating other children. They have brought in old cars and dumped them outside, one of which was over a period of time smashed up by their visiting kids and eventually set on fire. mad.gif
    They are renting and I've spoken to the lady who owns the apartment, she says that she has been trying to get them to move out for some time now and they keep putting her off and she says she doesn't know what to do about them as she is rather intimidated by them. She doesn't have a lease with them and they are paying rent through social welfare, I don't think she is registered with the PTRB.
    Can anyone suggest a way of going about this? particularly in a manner which doesn't end up dragging out for months. I accept that I probably can't actually do anything but would like to at least make some suggestions to the lady who owns the apartment.
    Thanks in advance for helping.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 missus cat

tenants have all sorts of rights now so she could have some problems getting them out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭molloyjazz

She's registered properly and they have their housing beneift sorted out..
    It's gonna be very hard to get them out.. basically you will have to wait untill they are put in prison, which could be soon if they are dealing drugs.. so maybe you should start investigating and give the gards a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

molloyjazz wrote: »
    She's registered properly and they have their housing beneift sorted out..
    It's gonna be very hard to get them out.. basically you will have to wait untill they are put in prison, which could be soon if they are dealing drugs.. so maybe you should start investigating and give the gards a call.

Not sure how you assess she is registered? Our landlord is not and we get RA OK.

Please, talk to threshold; they are the experts here after all. I know tenants have rights, but there are surely limits. HSE should be interested in the health and safety aspects also. re their toilet habits...

And the council if the cars are on the road and the gardai re the fires etc.

You should not have to endure this.

threshold are at..
    http://www.threshold.ie/

The landlady will need to call them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

THE hse give out ra ,they dont care if anyones registered.Ring up the garda and tell em if they are drug dealing.Can a few neighbors get together and make a complaint to the hse.THERE is 1 welfare officer for each local area,ring up the local health centre to contact her.
    I THINK its disgraceful that the hse puts familys into private apartments.
    One bad family can bring down the whole block.
    Contact your td.You need to be on the housing list to get ra, the council can take you off the housing list if they know you are dealing drugs.
    IF the gardai raid them they might just move out anyway.
    I KNEW a block with 40 units, it was difficult for the owners there,
    3 RA tenants moved in, and all of a sudden, there was crime , vandalism, bikes being stolen etc
    IF you know they are dealing drugs you could complain to council housing dept.
    I,M not saying everyone on ra is involved in crime.Its a minority but in an
    apartment building they can cause havoc.
    IF PERSON X is dealing drugs ,you could take photos from a distance and send em to the gardai.Just be very careful/ discreet about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

You will need to contact the police, you don't have to be registered with the PRTB for them to help you. The situation sounds absolutely awful, contact your local politician, kick up so much fuss, it is the only way, something can be done. Tell the lady who owns the apartment that you mean business, are you renting? If so, contact your landlord and get him to help you.

• Advertisement

IF they gardai charge em ,and they are dealing hash ,they might get a suspended sentence ,and they,ll still be causing problems for you, eg kids
    behaving in an antisocial way.First go to the local fianna fail td, the the hse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭billybigunz

Bit of a nimby attitude Do you want to see them homeless or just move them on for somebody else to suffer? You can't just 'get rid' of your neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Thoushaltnot

Er, nobody forced them to live there and nobody's forcing them to behave like scum.. that landlady will probably never take on rent allowance tenants again, even though most rent allowance recipients are decent law abiding citizens. The sooner they get stuck beside another family from hell the better.

Anyhow, if they're just on the Dole and getting Rent Allowance, then they should also be getting a letter from the Community Welfare Officer every 6 months, renewing their eligibility. Part of this needs to be signed by the landlord/lady. She can refuse and to be safe, in case they're faking her signature, have a word with the local CWO.

Also, there's an upper rent threshold - approx €1000 per month for a couple, iirc. If your rent is above that, you don't qualify for R.A. - this stops the unemployed from moving into des res'es. Maybe the landlady should see what the apartment would fetch for a professional couple and up the rent accordingly.

It's in a block of apartments? Is there a management agent/company that can help or advise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

management company? ****ting around the bins? I know they can be useless but if they dont sort it and you are an owner then hold out on payment of fees, I know that will attract a certain response, its why I dont want to live in an apartment but still there are bad neighbours, mine tear up and down the road, blaring radios, beeping horns all hours just to notify the people in the house they have arrived or when they leave, throw rubbish into garden, threaten. I'd contact the Gardai, say you suspect drugs, people coming and going, and put the pressure on them from all angles discreetly, dont say its you, contact known owners, if they are ***** be a **** yourself. Put pressure on the landlady too, even if it means you force her to sell, tell her she its illegal to not have prtb and you're contacting them because she doesnt have the cop on how to get good people in, her greed like my neighbours landlord pushed prices up, means I cant have a nice neighbourly atmosphere.
    Anti social behaviour should be come down on reasonably at first, ie explained to them by the gardai, then like a ton of bricks with legislation, but no we are the ordinary decent people, we dont deserve that kind of protection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭itsonlywords

Bit of a nimby attitude Do you want to see them homeless or just move them on for somebody else to suffer? You can't just 'get rid' of your neighbours.
    Ahh thats ok then. They have to put up with those bstrds according to you? Who cares where they go or who they annoy as long as it is not me. Somebody elses problem. That is life. Get them mobved is the most important thing. Scumbags the lot of em.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭billybigunz

Ahh thats ok then. They have to put up with those bstrds according to you? Who cares where they go or who they annoy as long as it is not me. Somebody elses problem. That is life. Get them mobved is the most important thing. Scumbags the lot of em.

Yes. That's just the way of life. You can't chose your neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Harrythecat

Thanks for advice so far folks. To follow on from this, They aren't actually dealing drugs as far as I know, buying them seems to be what is going on and to be honest I'm reluctant to go down the route of kicking up to big a fuss about this as I would be concerned about their reaction to us having them moved as I feel that they (or members of their family) would be inclined to pursue some sort of vendetta against us. I didn't mention in my original thread that they are travellers as I didn't want people to think that a prejudice was the main reason that for not wanting to live near them. I would honestly have no problem living beside them if they were able to treat the area with a little respect, unfortunately they've shown no signs of doing so even after polite requests from me and other neighbours. We and most of my neighbours are owners and have to pay sizeable management fees to keep the place looking nice and they literally just throw rubbish from cars and vans all over the place including appliances and car parts.
    I hope this explains why I'm trying to find a way of going about this that doesn't leave me or my neighbours open to actually having to confront them, I don't think all normal avenues are open to us on this one.

I don,t think anyone has the right to move into an apartment block and deal drugs, cause vandalism , antisocial behavior ,whether they are on ra, is a technicality.The landlord should give them notice,they are destroying the quality of life for everyone in the whole building.
    Even if you live on a corporation estate you can be evicted for anti social behavior or drug dealing .
    IF she gives them notice, and tells the hse the ra will be stopped and the
    hse will ask to to move out.
    Go to your td ,i,m sure he will have seen all this before , or see www.threshold.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

Its hard to know, in my opinion of travellers the women can be ok, the men mostly are just ****ing assholes, I know they probably put up with a lot but still huge ****ing chip on their shoulders, get organised, get other owners and tenants onside, go the CWO,HSe, management company and keep records(take pictures of **** if need be) then when the management company comes looking for the money you have two legs off everyone to stand on, get organised. tell the management company it is a health issue and unless they get onto the Landlord you wont be paying (ie en masses as a group of owners) if they say they'll take legal action tell them you will counter that as a group on health and safety grounds(get everyone involved and maybe they will change their ways,probably not but, maybe they will move, at least you will have tried. Dont get into a confrontation with them directly, get organised and passive resistance, ****ers. Not confronting this in anyway leads to it getting worse, its not right, not fair but travellers have a tendencey in my opinion to get in your face beacause they use a good persons niceness against them, (I make no apology, its true, it might not be PC, Im telling it like it is)

Advertisement