Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Double standards, soccer forum....

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

The only thing the soccer forum needs is a crackdown on trolls in matchday threads. Instant 24 hour ban. An example of this could be say me posting "lol" after Liverpool lose a match, I should be hit with a ban straight away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Dub13 wrote: »
    Its player abuse and unnecessary aswell,that term 'C*ntley C*nt' adds nothing to a otherwise well made point.
    Iago wrote: »
    seriously? You don't think calling someone, anyone, a c*nt is abusive?

Ah come on, the rule is there to prevent flame wars and derailing threads. Was using that term to show my own personal dislike in a post praising him really going to cause that much consternation? I just think there's an argument the mods of the forum miss the bigger picture at times, but whatever, I'm sure you think the same of me...

edit: I actually meant to add more to my original post but hit submit instead of preview. In short I've received an infraction for calling Busquets a cheating ****. Fair enough. But I've also called him a cheat on plenty of other occasions, the difference being the use of ****. We see abuse of Pat Dolan on almost every match thread he commentates on that goes unpunished. Yet this gets infracted. My point being the infractions seem to be given as much for the use of obscenities as the actual intention to abuse the person question.

Plenty will disagree with me but in my opinion the enforcement of the rules just seems to lack common sense at times. It seems pedantic and systematic rather than really addressing the actual problems of incitement and deliberate trolling that is rampant throughout the forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Ah come on, the rule is there to prevent flame wars and derailing threads. Was using that term to show my own personal dislike in a post praising him really going to cause that much consternation? I just think there's an argument the mods of the forum miss the bigger picture at times, but whatever, I'm sure you think the same of me...

edit: I actually meant to add more to my original post but hit submit instead of preview. In short I've received an infraction for calling Busquets a cheating ****. Fair enough. But I've also called him a cheat on plenty of other occasions, the difference being the use of ****. We see abuse of Pat Dolan on almost every match thread he commentates on that goes unpunished. Yet this gets infracted. My point being the infractions seem to be given as much for the use of obscenities as the actual intention to abuse the person question.

Plenty will disagree with me but in my opinion the enforcement of the rules just seems to lack common sense at times. It seems pedantic and systematic rather than really addressing the actual problems of incitement and deliberate trolling that is rampant throughout the forum.

Calling someone a cheater and calling someone a cheating **** are totally different things. One is far more serious and insulting than the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Osu wrote: »
    Calling someone a cheater and calling someone a cheating **** are totally different things. One is far more serious and insulting than the other.

Fair enough, but I really don't see much difference between the two, you're basically saying the same thing (i.e. questioning the players integrity).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

But did you really need to add in the 'cúnt' part?
    I've never seen anyone go as far as calling Pat Dolan a cúnt, annoying yes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

More than likely the posts that were actioned were reported and the others weren't

The Mods don't read every post espcially in a fast moving forum and probably just missed them

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Fair enough, but I really don't see much difference between the two, you're basically saying the same thing (i.e. questioning the players integrity).

If there's no difference why use the profanity? Of courses there's s difference. Questioning a players intregrity is not against the rules if worded properly.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I think the reason is that the emotive the language, then the more emotive the responses will be and things can get out of hand fairly quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

what am i asking for is clarification as to why its seems to be applied in some cases but not in others....

I put it down to this.

The mods don't have time to read all the posts, so are depending to a degree on the posters to self moderate the forum by reporting troublesome posts. The problem for you lies in the fact that the soccer forum is infested with selectively thin-skinned people hovering over your post waiting for you to make a slip.

You know, the kind who quote you and post "goodbye". Joyful post reporters.

But if they were to remark similarly about your club you'd be man enough to ignore it, so you don't report it and the balance looks skewed.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

There's a massive difference between calling someone a
    'cünt'
    'fat cünt'
    'lucky cünt'

Similarly,
    'bastard'
    'black bastard'
    'gorgeous bastard'

are in no way related in terms of abusiveness.

Anyone who would deny that is either a non-native speaker or acting in complete bad faith.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

Since it's not against the rules to bypass the swear filter why is it even ****ing there?

Serious question btw

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

SugarHigh wrote: »
    Since it's not against the rules to bypass the swear filter why is it even ****ing there?

Serious question btw

Some forums don't allow you to bypass the swear filter and will actually infract/ban you for doing so.

I doubt it's possible to turn it off in individual forums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Some forums don't allow you to bypass the swear filter and will actually infract/ban you for doing so.

I doubt it's possible to turn it off in individual forums.
    Fair enough I didn't know that.

Which forums btw and what's the reason compared to other forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Fair enough I didn't know that.

I'm pretty sure Animals & Pet Issues is one but you'll have to check the charter.

I guess they just want things to be friendly and civil.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Animals and Pets is definitely one as it gets a lot of children viewing; other such forums which attract younger viewers; forums where the community of that forum feel that it simply does not accord well with the spirit of that forum ...

Actually, I would have said that the general culture of Boards frowns on excessive swearing, but that some forums are more tolerant ... rather than the other way round.

Please note however that that is a personal opinion, rather than based on any official pronouncement! :)

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Animals and Pets is definitely one as it gets a lot of children viewing; other such forums which attract younger viewers; forums where the community of that forum feel that it simply does not accord well with the spirit of that forum ...

Actually, I would have said that the general culture of Boards frowns on excessive swearing, but that some forums are more tolerant ... rather than the other way round.

Please note however that that is a personal opinion, rather than based on any official pronouncement! :)
    I've never gotten a warning about swearing, guess I just hang round the rough areas of boards :cool:

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I've never gotten a warning about swearing, guess I just hang round the rough areas of boards :cool:
    I did say "excessive", I reckon most forums won't jump down your throat for the odd slip (if they did I'd be sitebanned long since! ;))

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I don't consider it bad form in Creative Writing if it's part of a story or poem, FWIW.

Advertisement