Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher Upload Speed

• 15-05-2010 4:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I was wondering if anyone knew some more about the speed profiles of the Eircom ADSL packages.

Presently, I am on the 'Up to 8MBit' business package.
    However due to my distance (~4KM) from the exchange and 42dB line attenuation I'm on the 5MBit profile which gives me an upload speed of 512kbit.

I'm happy with the download sync speed and have no issues with that as I know it's the best my line can handle. However I think my line would happily work with a higher upload speed. Upstream attenuation is 22dB and SN is 16dB.

So I wondered if anyone knew if the upload speed can be adjusted independent of the download speed when the tech support guys set the profile to be used on a line or if they just have pairs - e.g. 5120/512?

If they just have pairs, has anyone tried getting put on (lets be daring!) the full 8000/800k profile and letting the router sort out the best sync speeds for down and uplinks? Are support even able to do this?

I suppose I should just call to find out if it can be tried but thought someone else may have been wondering and thus tried the same thing before...

Any comments? Cheers, B.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Well I phoned them up today and the helpful support guy was happy to assist. No way to override the 'paired' speeds that he knew of, but he happily put me onto the full 8MBit profile to see what'd happen.

Now I'm still synced at 5m down, but have a full 800k up which is a substantial improvement from what I had before.

Also, an unexpected side effect is that my pings have dropped by around 10ms - e.g. boards.ie used to return pings in about 40ms, now it's about 29ms.

Did he turn interleaving to low?

Advertisement