Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIT Kendo Club

Options
  • 15-05-2010 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭

Hi im looking to generate some interest in a Kendo club for DIT

Im currently studying in DIT Kevin street. I practice with Dublin Kendo Kobukai, and im a member of the Irish National Team, i have second dan in Kendo.

Kendo is the Japanese way of the sword, it is a martial art with over 400 years of history.
    Here is an example of kendo at secondary school level in Japan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbhD0GOk4xk&playnext_from=TL&videos=qU2xlP0J61I&feature=sub

The main elements of kendo are Jigeiko, Free practice. Shiai, Competive Fighting. Kata forms practice using a bokken (wodden sword)
    Kendo uses Bogu japanese protective equipment, and shinais (Bamboo swords)

Kendo is great for people looking to stay fit, or people looking to practice traditional Japanese Martial Arts.

If anyone is interested please reply here, i will try to organise it for next year if there is enough interest.

please check out http://www.dublinkendo.com/index.php for more information.

Thanks! and good luck in your exams!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

I would be interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Hi, thats great, if you know anyone else that maybe interested, let them know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 kevin10

Hi,
    Im a student in Kevin st, iv a black belt in Japanese Kempo/Kenpo and have done it for 16 years, i joined the DIT shotokan club which was a joke in fairness, i had an interest in Kenpo before but never tried it, I must drop by next september

Hi, im afraid your mixed up a little bit. Ken DO, not ken PO.

The Way of the Sword.

I also tried shotakan karate in DIT, i found it to be quite enjoyable, maybe a few too many people started that year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 kevin10

hey, no im not mixed up at all, i said i had a black belt in Kenpo, and that i would like to give your KENDO a try

• Advertisement

ah ok sorry mate, you have a type in your origional post

"i had an interest in Kenpo before but never tried it"

ill let you know if a club does set up.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

I would be very interested in joining, but I doubt whether I would be able to go to training sessions on a regular basis.

thats great, i look forward to seeing you.

It would be fantastic if there were a number of people in DIT that already knew the basics of kendo before it began (would make the first few lessons that much easier!!)

If you guys would like to try it out over the summer send me a message and ill get in touch. you can come to a training session in dublin or something

Advertisement