Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FlashForward cancelled

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Final episode is next week in the States. So only 2 remaining to be shown stateside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭zimovain

Did they manage to film some sort of an ending or will it end on a cliffhanger on unresolved??

Digitalspy.co.uk
    Sonya Walger has admitted that the upcoming finale of FlashForward will leave several questions unanswered.

The show was recently cancelled by ABC, meaning that it will not return for a second season.

Walger, who plays Olivia, admitted that the series' abrupt end means that some things about it will remain mysterious.

"There's some closure to it," she told E! Online. "But there's an awful lot left unexplained."

However, Walger promised that fans will enjoy the last episode, saying: "It was so satisfying to read the finale because there are still glitches in the system. There are anomalies - it's like a beautiful map puzzle that just rounds itself out.

"There's another flash-forward brewing, but it remains to be seen if it happens or not. The finale is just brilliantly written. It's so satisfying to watch how everybody ends up - or doesn't - in the positions that they saw themselves in the pilot. Watching these chess pieces move into position so that everyone is where they saw themselves being is ingenious. And by the end of the penultimate episode, they've pushed everyone as far away from their final positions as they could possibly be. It's a brilliant device."

FlashForward continues on Thursday at 8/7c on ABC in the US and tonight at 9pm on Five in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

I quite like FF, I will be sad to see it go =(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭herobear

if you're interested in the concept,its worth checking out the book that the tv show is based on, its different in certain key aspects(the flash forward happens more than 20 years later as opposed to a few months for example) and is pretty short, but its interesting enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

herobear wrote: »
    if you're interested in the concept,its worth checking out the book that the tv show is based on, its different in certain key aspects(the flash forward happens more than 20 years later as opposed to a few months for example) and is pretty short, but its interesting enough.

Is it available over here do you know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭herobear

its easily available online at play or amazon, and ive seen it in hmv and im sure its in stock in most bookshops

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

No surprise here...be nice if we got a two hour special, just to wrap things up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

I thought this was a good summary of the show - must try harder. And I particularly agree about the multiple strands. The whole Aaron and dead daughter plot, and everything Bryce (except Keiko) bored me to tears. At this stage I much prefer V. If you're opinion of V is based on the first pod of episodes, my advice is to stick with it - if nothing else you'll get to see Laura Vandervoort in her bra several times!

http://popwatch.ew.com/2010/05/14/flashforward-r-i-p-farewell-to-a-weird-wonderful-show/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

V inherited more than the 4400 cast it seems, it also inherited it's knack for axe dodging :D

• Advertisement

The Guardian
    's the time of year when the enormous axe of doom swings down on US television shows – and anything that hasn't lived up to its promise or produced decent ratings finds itself axed. For those who've been watching it thrash about like a dying fish in the bottom of a boat, FlashFoward's cancellation does not come as much of a surprise. (Presumably, it won't be a shock for those involved either – surely they must have seen that coming...)But where did it all go wrong? When it launched last autumn, TV executives and an audience facing the prospect of the end of Lost had high hopes. Perhaps FlashForward would bethe kind of high-concept mystery sci-fi series to incite conversation and loyalty in the same way as Lost had. Sadly, it turned out not to be so. In fact, the main questions Flashforward seemed to prompt were: why are there so many characters? Which plotline is least interesting? Will you bother watching next week?
    Some of us stuck with it, doggedly believing that given a concept as interesting as a worldwide leap into future-vision – and the potential political, personal and moral questions that would result – there had to be a decent payoff at some point. Maybe we just had to stick with the show for long enough. Turns out we were wrong. :
    Five reasons FlashForward will soon be little more than a flashback

1. It was too concerned with how it was going to progress
    FlashForward would have made a brilliant single season concept, or miniseries. If there had only been one flashforward, one blackout, one date to dread and one set of consequences to aim toward or avoid, it would have been fine. But the writers seemed to spend so long trying to open doors to continue the concept beyond season one that the tension slipped away.
    2. Who cares about one marriage?
    In a situation where the whole world has been affected and millions of people meant to have died, we had no time to get to know or like characters before suddenly being thrown into a situation where we were supposed to care deeply about whether their relationship could survive. Result: complete apathy.
    3. Acting straight from the scowly school
    Joseph Fiennes is, I am sure, a nice man and a great actor – but he makes a duff leading man in this context. A single character note of scowling urgently and growling without moving his lips is not enough.
    4. Too many characters
    Not that the blame should be placed on just one person. Let's face it, it was increasingly difficult to give a donkey's bottom about the rest of them, either.
    5. The huge gap in the middle
    There are well-established, well-loved shows that would have found it hard to survive the huge gap imposed by crazy American scheduling decisions and the Winter Olympics. FlashForward was neither, and the fact that the show's team had too much time to think and seemed to be trying to rejig the entire concept and start again when they came back didn't help either.
    6. And a billion other reasons.
    We'll still be back watching it on Monday, of course – because with only three more episodes to go, there's got to be some kind of payoff or satisfaction to those of us who've hung about this long. Right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

Well that sucks. I watched both V and Flashforward, much prefered the story arc to Flashfroward. Had such high hopes for the show too as it was getting progressivley better. I was hoping Dyson would become this awesome villain from beyond the grave by taunting the team with videos and other clues and Gabriel's (Baltar :D) flashbacks could have been very interesting.

I think this situation echoes what happened with Dollhouse and Terminator last year (although arguably both of those show were of a higher quality than V or Flashforward) and again, imo, the better show was cancelled first...I dont see V lasting much longer than two seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Terminator deserved another season, but I'm glad Dollhouse ended when it did - thought it wrapped up nicely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

typical Fox executives. Terminator did deserve another season. i didn't bother watching the rest of season 2 cos i didn't want to see the cliffhanger ending.
    dunno about dollhouse...never seen it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

whiteman19 wrote: »
    typical Fox executives. Terminator did deserve another season. i didn't bother watching the rest of season 2 cos i didn't want to see the cliffhanger ending.
    dunno about dollhouse...never seen it.
    Dollhouse is quite awful for the first few episodes, but it really gets a lot better and the last season is great!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

This is something that was lightly touched upon earlier in the thread, just want to give my views on it and see if anyone agrees or not.

I think something that would help American TV shows quite a bit would be to shorten the length of the seasons for an hour long show. Stuff like Heroes and Flashforward tend to suffer from 20+ episodes per season; more filler episodes, less time for the writers to spend on each episode, forced arcs to fill time, story arcs that go nowhere because they then don't have enough time etc.

House suffers from an enourmous amount of filler episodes, the first three seasons being the biggest suspects. Lost (which I am actually a fan of) could have been improved if the episode count was reduced.

The only ones (IMO of course) that get away with long seasons are the half hour shows eg: Entourage, The Office, Modern Family.

Dexter and True Blood are good examples of short seasons that work very well. Even in the UK; The IT Crowd and Misfits only had 6 episodes per season, and were stronger for it.

Advertisement