Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GSD colouring and eye colour, rare?!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Eemia

Okay so my guess was wrong lol.

Getting bit worried though are these pups going to be sick seeing someone said with the blue gene they might be?! I would not like these to suffer the older they get.

Morganna wrote: »
    The blues only have genetic problems if two are mated together.No reason why they should have any more problems than any other colour if they are coming from two parents who arent dilutes.
    The genetic problems lie when two dilutes are mated together ,and when greedy people are breeding for colour and not researching there bloodlines and doing health checks.
    The blue and liver are not rare they are a naturally occuring colour althought frowned up on.

So if mam and dad were blue carries does that class as mating two dilutes together?! So that means pups might or can have genetic problems?!

I'll get shot for saying this but better telling the truth, the litter was accidental and was not planned and they are booked in to get neutered (male asap and female when she can) (parents are not together atm) I'd rather this thread not turn into of you should have done that long ago, we know and it will not be happening again!

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

Eemia wrote: »
    So if mam and dad were blue carries does that class as mating two dilutes together?! So that means pups might or can have genetic problems?!

I'll get shot for saying this but better telling the truth, the litter was accidental and was not planned and they are booked in to get neutered (male asap and female when she can) (parents are not together atm) I'd rather this thread not turn into of you should have done that long ago, we know and it will not be happening again!
    no a dilute is a solid blue etc.so by mating two solid blues or two solid dilutes then that is where the health problems arise.
    Also a lot of people once they get a solid blue then will go on and inbreed and the more you inbreed the more problems you get .

Okay so my guess was wrong lol.

Getting bit worried though are these pups going to be sick seeing someone said with the blue gene they might be?! I would not like these to suffer the older they get.
    no it doesnt mean they are going to get sick as they get older so dont worry.

no a dilute is a solid blue etc.so by mating two solid blues or two solid dilutes then that is where the health problems arise.
    Also a lot of people once they get a solid blue then will go on and inbreed and the more you inbreed the more problems you get .

Thanks for giving all this information. No fear of inbreeding from this blue as she will be neutered also. When it comes to re homing pups who are NR, can you "make" the new owners neuter the puppys? (I know a note thingy can be put onto PBR's papers). Would prefer they went as pets and not to be bred and creating more bad genes.

Also thanks for putting my mind at ease that besides normal genetic problems they won't suffer because of this gene

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

this is incorrect.

It doesn't have to be the pup of two dilutes to have problems. The problems can arise in any dilute pup - even the progeny of mere carriers as in this case.

Xiney wrote: »
    this is incorrect.

It doesn't have to be the pup of two dilutes to have problems. The problems can arise in any dilute pup - even the progeny of mere carriers as in this case.
    well lets be honest here problems can arise from any dogs of any colours of any parentage !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

This is the same thing seen in Red Rottweilers where the recessive red coat gene also gives rise to a lighther eye colour. The lighter eye colour increases the risks of eye problems and most also have heart problems too.
    I would say if you have your heart set on taking this pup then take it but at a reduced price and I would also be sure to take out insurance on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

IMG_0360.jpg?t=1274013900?action=view&current=IMG_0360.jpg&newest=1

my fella when he was a pup , it's the same in nearly all pups. 11-12 weeks old here

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

well lets be honest here problems can arise from any dogs of any colours of any parentage !

of course they can.

but it's like how red hair is linked to diabetes - there is just that increased risk. Doesn't mean that people with brown hair can't get diabetes, they can. But there is a link.

• Advertisement

Xiney wrote: »
    of course they can.

but it's like how red hair is linked to diabetes - there is just that increased risk. Doesn't mean that people with brown hair can't get diabetes, they can. But there is a link.
    I agree completley

Meet Freya!

02062010738.th.jpg

Shes a little pet and my 21month old and her get along great aswell as the other dogs!

great pic, so pleased for you she is a sweetie.x keep the pics coming x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭nearly

Eemia What a beautiful puppy you have! I've never seen one so lovely. I love grey :)

Can you show us more pics? Like to see what Freya looks like walking around.

Grey nose, so cute!

nearly wrote: »
    Eemia What a beautiful puppy you have! I've never seen one so lovely. I love grey :)

Can you show us more pics? Like to see what Freya looks like walking around.

Grey nose, so cute!

Thank you, she is such a pet!

I'll try get more pics of her this evening its SOOOO hard to get any of them sitting still! I have a video of the 5 of them running after my 21month son but cause he is in it i don't really want to post it up as you can understand.

Will get the good camera out and her on her own and see what i can get :)

Nose is cute - looks like a button :D

Sorry about delay getting pics, camera went missing and phone wouldn't be able to keep up :rolleyes:

Here ye go, best of the few a lot are blurred

imgp0167.th.jpg
    imgp0163l.th.jpg
    imgp0162z.th.jpg
    freyap.th.png

Gorgeous

but was anyone else getting related image's popping up of some topless blond bird down the bottom :)

TechnoPool wrote: »
    Gorgeous

but was anyone else getting related image's popping up of some topless blond bird down the bottom :)

Sh!t :eek::eek::eek:

:p

Sh!t :eek::eek::eek:

:p

what ever you inta pal :)

TechnoPool wrote: »
    what ever you inta pal :)

:pac: I was only joking!!

Now back on topic lol

• Advertisement

lovely pup xx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭lisar201

she is gorgeous!! so u gona keep her?

lisar201 wrote: »
    she is gorgeous!! so u gona keep her?

Yep :D

Going ordering her a new kennel tomorrow and she's going to be crate trained by night!

30062010842.th.jpg
    30062010845.th.jpg
    30062010840.th.jpg

http://img80.imageshack.us/my.php?image=30062010113.mp4 (Short video of her chasing her lead)

Had her at the beach this morning while no one was on it. She was on one yday too and had great fun :) Shes as good!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

So jealous of the grey colouring, she's so unusual. If she ever goes missing you'll know she's cuddled up on my sofa with me! Actually, how about swapping her with my GSD x???? :D

WebImageWiley.jpg

Advertisement