Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HIT & RUN ATHBOY Sat 15th May

Options
  • 15-05-2010 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭

As the title says I was in a hit and run in Athboy today at 4pm.
    It happened at the carpark the church down by Waxies.
    The car that hit me was a white Toyota Celica 93 97 model. It was a male driver, he hit my car doing damage to the front and passenger side of his car and drove out the Graveyard road.
    I'm told it's a local car, i'm wondering does anyone know the reg of this car or have seen it parked up/abandoned anywhere.

Any info greatly appreciated,
    Thanks

The car looks like this (Bonnet & wheels may be different)

f_567480_2.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭DubMedic

Your best bet would be to take it up with the Gardaí.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Seanieke

DubMedic wrote: »
    Your best bet would be to take it up with the Gardaí.
    Aye we've dont that but they say there's nothing really then can do without the reg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Wow. were you injured?
    Chances are the driver has either fixed the damage, reported the car stolen or sell it (which is unlikley in this market)
    Either way without a reg or positive ID of the driver it would be very hard for the Gardai to do anything as those type of cars are two a penny.
    Ws there anything on the car that stood out, IE: any stickers/decals, type of alloys, bodykit, wings or spoiler as alot of them cars have things which stand out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭FewToLose

Did you ask the Waxies to see if you were caught on their CCTV cameras? Unfortunately there are a lot of similar cars around Athboy

We've got him...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Seanieke wrote: »
    We've got him...
    Delighted :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

We've got him...

was he arrested? let us know how that works out.

No he wasn't arrested, just bought in for questioning. He is going to court over it. And I am unsure as to how that will turn out. There is a chance he is facing a jail time for this as it's a repeat offence. But I'd say it'll be don't do it again, and a slap on the wrist. The law cannot control people who don't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Good stuff. And was it the Guards that tracked him down or yourself?

I have to say I'd be pleasantly surprised if it was the guards.

My Dad had a similar incident a while back and eventually found the culprit two weeks later after putting the word out himself and calling to peoples houses. They settled up between them.

He was contacted by the local guard (who was quite chuffed with himself) a few days later to inform him and my dad said he already had it sorted. The guard had obviously just heard it on the grapevine.

Haha Well we had a fair idea of who it was. The guards followed up on it. And that was how he was caught.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

No he wasn't arrested, just bought in for questioning. He is going to court over it. And I am unsure as to how that will turn out. There is a chance he is facing a jail time for this as it's a repeat offence. But I'd say it'll be don't do it again, and a slap on the wrist. The law cannot control people who don't care.

Don't bank on jail time, not enough room for them all. You are right in that it will be a slap on the wrist. A scumbag hit me causing 6k damage, he was drunk/high, stolen car etc. so no insurance and had a list of previous as long as your arm.

He was caught a few minutes later after he crashed into me and then into a wall and then legged it. What did he get? A driving ban! A driving ban for someone who nicks cars really kinda misses the point imo. Like he's not going to nick cars any more because he's banned?

Of course, you, me and everyone else who pays insurance then has to cover costs like fixing my car as it had to come off the MIB fund. Plus writing off the stolen car had to come off that also. Plus Garda costs, court costs, legal fees etc..

<Rant over> :mad:

Sorry, I'll point out damage done now.
    Bonnet, 2 side panels, passenger door, bumper, all 8 front lights, twisted chassis in 2 places and a gracked gear box.
    Written off. And his car is fine. minimal damage done.
    He has previous convictions, a driving ban already in place... The law does not affect those who do not care. And nor can you control them...

Advertisement