Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

burris vs swift

Options
  • 15-05-2010 5:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭

a few weeks ago i traded in my 220 for a lovely cz 223 i was back in the gun shop today looking at scopes he had a few burris and swift scopes all in and around 650 (MY BUDGET)which are a better scope i realy like the swift scope some people told me their pure sh1t

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

CZ. wrote: »
    a few weeks ago i traded in my 220 for a lovely cz 223 i was back in the gun shop today looking at scopes he had a few burris and swift scopes all in and around 650 (MY BUDGET)which are a better scope i realy like the swift scope some people told me their pure sh1t
    650 for a Swift:confused:, jes man sounds very expensive. For 650 ya get a good Burris or bushnell. Swift are Sh***. Seen it first hand on my dads wmr, they wont hold zero and glass is crap. Again for your budget which is alot like mine, I'd be lookin at the Burris or Bushnell elite range;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

For everyone that tells you a scope is good you can be sure there are 2 or 3 that will say its crap. This boils down to a personal choice and someone that had a bad ordeal with a particluar brand.

For example i wouldn't touch a Hawke or AGS scope. I've only ever known them as air gun scopes, maybe .22lr. The glass is poor and the build quality is just not in them.

Now others will come along and defend them to the death. They own one and have had no issues with theirs. Thats great and i'm delighted, but personally i just don't like them.

On that note i have both Swift and Burris. The Burris is only a new scope. The glass is great and while some say it has poor dusk/dawn ability i would disagree. After saying that i had an issue with a faulty elevation turret. I contacted the importer directly and it was changed immediately. No problem since. Its on a .223.

The swift, while not as expensive as the Burris is still a decent scope. I have owned 2. The current one is a 6-24x56 Swift Premier. I bought it originally as a cheap, but usuable scope for my .243. I never mounted the scope as i sold the rifle. (Thank you TRG). It sat idle for over a year until i put it on a 30-06. I was wary that it wouldn't handle the savage recoil from the rifle and still hold its zero. It did and has continued to do so for 9 months now. Others will also come along and tell you the horror stories they had with them.

Moral of the story. You take a chance with most any scope you buy (in the mid to lower price range). The reason the upper priced scopes rarely (not never) go wrong is because of the research, development and build that goes into them which demands the higher price. Look at each scope. Compare glass clarity, quality, turret adjustments, tube width, weight, looks and fit. Which ever one suits you best or you perfer is the one to go for. If the dealer is good he will stand by any item he sells. So if a problem (other than you realise you don't like it anymore) arises he should/must exchange or refund you.

I understand no-one wants to go through this hassle, but it can and does happen.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

i heard the newer swifts aren't a patch on the older ones and are prone to problems although they do have schott glass in them, i'd go for a burris if i were you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

burris
    any day of the week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

endasmail wrote: »
    burris
    any day of the week

I've seen second hand Nikon S&B and even an old Zeiss for that money!

I'd shop around;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

kay 9 wrote: »
    650 for a Swift:confused:, jes man sounds very expensive. For 650 ya get a good Burris or bushnell. Swift are Sh***. Seen it first hand on my dads wmr, they wont hold zero and glass is crap. Again for your budget which is alot like mine, I'd be lookin at the Burris or Bushnell elite range;)
    Coud not agree more

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I've seen second hand Nikon S&B and even an old Zeiss for that money!

I'd shop around;)

I'd agree with this. You'd pick up far nicer glass for that money. Start looking at the Zeiss Conquest range especially. Keep an eye out for deals on Schmidt and Bender and Swarovski as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭CZ.

thanks lads i might take a trip down to Tannyoky guns next week and see what prices are like down north might get alot more for my money down their ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 DickieBowe

May I respectfully suggest that we have dealers on their knees around the country at the moment. The effects of an economy gone south has hurt them, but the current difficulties around licencing have made their position near impossible.

I am not one, don't work for one and am not even patricularly friendly with any, but i like the idea of having a gun shop within driving distance. It is about more than just ammo, if a guy makes a few quid he can expand his stock.

The banter and local knowledge are all good, I would hate to be driving more miles than necessary or outside the jurisdiction to see products of interest.

Anyway prices here have never been more competitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

DickieBowe wrote: »
    May I respectfully suggest that we have dealers on their knees around the country at the moment. The effects of an economy gone south has hurt them, but the current difficulties around licencing have made their position near impossible.

I am not one, don't work for one and am not even patricularly friendly with any, but i like the idea of having a gun shop within driving distance. It is about more than just ammo, if a guy makes a few quid he can expand his stock.

The banter and local knowledge are all good, I would hate to be driving more miles than necessary or outside the jurisdiction to see products of interest.

Anyway prices here have never been more competitive.

would have to disagree with that comment
    while i do admit and understand that alot of them are struggling in this climate ( as are the rest of us)
    alot of gun dealers bring it on themselves by trying to rip us off

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 sharpshooter murphy

If gun dealers are struggling its there own fault, i know for a fact that a certain well known gun shop in Co. Kildare has been making 75% profit on there guns and ammuniton, I recently bought a guillet suit in Co. Waterford for 140 euro, 3 weeks later i priced the same guiilet suit for 70 euro in a new gun shop open in carlow, Its disgusting and uncalled for what dealers are adding on to the cost price of equpment.

Back to the scopes, a budget of 650 you say?? whats wrong with nikko stirling? ive used nothing else only that brand and never a problem.

Advertisement