Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Range at ballyhoura R&P

Options
  • 15-05-2010 6:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭

HI all,
    Just said I would pass the word that the proposed changes at Ballyhoura rifle and pistol range have begun.

In addition to the current 50mtr rifle and pistol range a dedicated 25mtr pistol range is now under construction(started 2 days ago) , I will keep you posted on the progress of this but it’s all steam ahead on this .

Also the materials for the 300mtr rifle range have arrived and the construction of this will begin shortly (in the next week or so).

So some good news for a change.

The website (www.brpr.ie) has not been updated yet but will be shortly.

Dar

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Darr wrote: »
    ......Also the materials for the 300mtr rifle range have arrived and the construction of this will begin shortly (in the next week or so).......

Its baffle time. :D
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

Great news, well done to Dave and Elaine!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Indeed,fair dues to Dave.Hope it goes it well for him.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 98b

Darr,

U need to be sure of your facts re this info ???

98b wrote: »
    Darr,

U need to be sure of your facts re this info ???

Care to elaborate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭knockon

murph226 wrote: »
    Care to elaborate?

I think you'll be waiting Murph. Based on his/her 3 threads in total - 2 seems to be what you call a "lob in a hand grenade merchant". It was even suggested that he /she is a DOJ/State "Sleeper".

A lot of "I heard this..." "Are you sure you're information is correct...."

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

nice one lads,about time too we need a proper rifle range.
    any idea of the fees for the new project or will it stay at 450 for the lot
    thaks dave.
    best of luck to them,a lot of his time and money has gone into the place,hopefully i will be back some time.

knockon wrote: »
    I think you'll be waiting Murph. Based on his/her 3 threads in total - 2 seems to be what you call a "lob in a hand grenade merchant". It was even suggested that he /she is a DOJ/State "Sleeper".

A lot of "I heard this..." "Are you sure you're information is correct...."

PLUS1
    Actually starting to fit the DOJ/Garda Sleeper mole mode.
    We are all still waiting for your info on how you know the CS wont grant the liscenses down here.????
    C'mon 98B ...Put up or shuttup!!!

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I love how everyone thinks we have a mole the moment anyone asks an odd question.
    It's nice to see that everyone thinks we're more important than any other group in shooting :pac:

Only posts three times,has some apprently very sensitive Garda information that would be only known in the CS office in Henry St,Limerick.Within 24 hours of us winning and clams up when asked to elaborate on it either publically or by PM???
    Either a stirrer of SHte,or somone with an agenda from our area??

• Advertisement

We are informed up here that the devolepments on the BRP range currently "commencing" are within the overall scope of the origional range,
    New range development for "3oo" range is under new applicant.

As regards recent court decisions, just dont want to get your hopes up.
    Unfortunately cannot elabolate. But best of luck.

Informed by whom exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭knockon

98b wrote: »
    We are informed up here that the devolepments on the BRP range currently "commencing" are within the overall scope of the origional range,

....I rest my case....

Thank you Fachtna!

There is No "getting our hopes up" There is a court decision in our favour and the CS is obliged to obey it.Unless he wants to find himself in contempt of court!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

Good point, sparks, but:
    I love how everyone thinks we have a mole the moment anyone asks an odd question.

If you read 98b's post again you'll notice it was a statement, rather than a question, notwithstanding the distracting double question marks at the end!:D;)

If we don't have a mole, then we have another feckin' eejit posting b*ll*x. Either way, I don't think we should be paying to much heed to a lad / lady who can't substantiate or elaborate on their comments.

Check out the posters post history.

1. We are informed: Who is we? The Masons, the Planning Department, the CIA, the DoJ, or the local St. Gubnait's Parish Council?
    2. Up here: Where is this? Cloud 9, the Top Floor Offices Harcourt Street, the Comptroller-Generals Office, where exactly?
    3. Unfortunately cannot elaborate: Surprise, surprise!

BTW What's the definition of a troll again?:rolleyes:

(All the same, here's me feeding the trolls!)

At best this poster 98b appears to simpy be a troll, at worst my initial suspicions seem to be not-too-far-from-the-truth. And as someone who was himself accused of being of the same ilk during my first few weeks here on boards (yes, I have a long memory - but hold no grudges, well not that many anyway;):D), I do not make such judgements lightly.

The Shooting forum on Boards (As far as I am concerned) is here and is only useful and popular because some reliance (however limited) on the veracity of the information posted can be depended upon. Yes, we all need our BS-Detectors switched to full-power much of the time - but the blatant posting of controversial and unsubstantiated "information" (in its loosest possible sense) should not be tolerated. Sorry if this is over-stepping the mark as regards back-seat-modding, but that's how I feel about this.

So here's one for us all:

I heard from a friend in the Park that Dermot A. was going to begin a review of the Firearms Legislation and anyone who already owns a .22 will automatically be granted a licence for a .50cal BMG, as an unrestricted firearm, on the grounds that, sure it's only a wee bit over two times the size of a .22 and sure that's still only an itty-bitty little yoke of a bullet, and where's the harm in that, now.

But, I was told this in the strictest confidence, and sorry, but cannot elaborate.

;):D

That's about the size of it dCorbus; I'm just pleasantly amused that everyone thinks that our little forum here is so important. I mean, I've been saying it is for years, but I didn't think everyone agreed with me yet ;)

our little forum here is so important

For those of us who regularly post & read and for the others who lurk & read, it is kinda important. Not in a desparate and lonely sitting-in-my-darkened-room-making-lovely-friends-online kinda way (well, not really!;)), but it is most of the time (or should be all of the time) a useful source of information for shooters and those with an interest in firearms and shooting.

There is very few sources of such information readily available to us in Ireland (actually, correction, there's none IMHO), other than the information we can glean from each other on our various and varied ranges during practice or at events.

That's why it's so important - and that's why (to a certain extent) we should protect it from intrusions and obvious and not-so-subtle attacks from those who, for whatever warped reasoning or bizarre ideologies, want to f**k with this valuable source of info.
    I didn't think everyone agreed with me yet

You know I always always agree with you and defer to greater expertise and experience, oh great one!:p;):rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

That all said, its an open forum - everyone is free to post whatever they want (within the charter etc etc blah blah), but the flip-side of that, is that if you come on here talking / posting total b*ll*x, don't be surprised if some peoples noses are put out of joint and you get abused from a height.

If you don't like to be abused and accused of scurilous activities, don't post blatant s***te. Simples!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

I reckon we'll know soon enough if 98B is a troll. Aren't there quite a few Ballyhoura range members here on boards?
    Darr is obviously involved with running the range too.

So a simple yes/no from Darr or any member who knows or can contact the range owner will clarify if 98B as a troll or not ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

dCorbus wrote: »
    For those of us who regularly post & read and for the others who lurk & read, it is kinda important. Not in a desparate and lonely sitting-in-my-darkened-room-making-lovely-friends-online kinda way (well, not really!;)), but it is most of the time (or should be all of the time) a useful source of information for shooters and those with an interest in firearms and shooting.

There is very few sources of such information readily available to us in Ireland (actually, correction, there's none IMHO), other than the information we can glean from each other on our various and varied ranges during practice or at events.

That's why it's so important - and that's why (to a certain extent) we should protect it from intrusions and obvious and not-so-subtle attacks from those who, for whatever warped reasoning or bizarre ideologies, want to f**k with this valuable source of info.

You know I always always agree with you and defer to greater expertise and experience, oh great one!:p;):rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

That all said, its an open forum - everyone is free to post whatever they want (within the charter etc etc blah blah), but the flip-side of that, is that if you come on here talking / posting total b*ll*x, don't be surprised if some peoples noses are put out of joint and you get abused from a height.

If you don't like to be abused and accused of scurilous activities, don't post blatant s***te. Simples!

did you ever notice the amount of people who post a question on a delicate issue and then never reply??

Somebody asks 4 questions on key issues about 3 months after joining or less, then is never seen again?

I think it's a case for Moulder and Scully :D

Somebody asks 4 questions on key issues about 3 months after joining or less, then is never seen again?

I've been on boards for over 11 years (just 9 with this username :D), have met dozens (probably well over 100 actually) of fellows boards users & am well known to many/most of the established posters here in the shooting forum.

I posted what I thought was some useful information last week & was immediately attacked & called a troll/sh@t stirrer etc.
    This place isn't what it used to be IMO. Too many blow-ins who've shot everything with every gun on every continent. Guys shooting 5" vbulls @ 1000 yards off the shoulder with 10/22s etc.
    Totally OT I know but the new trend seems to be towards conspiracy theories :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Kramer wrote: »
    I've been on boards for over 11 years (just 9 with this username :D), have met dozens (probably well over 100 actually) of fellows boards users & am well known to many/most of the established posters here in the shooting forum.

I posted what I thought was some useful information last week & was immediately attacked & called a troll/sh@t stirrer etc.
    This place isn't what it used to be IMO. Too many blow-ins who've shot everything with every gun on every continent. Guys shooting 5" vbulls @ 1000 yards off the shoulder with 10/22s etc.
    Totally OT I know but the new trend seems to be towards conspiracy theories :rolleyes:

I've had folks ask me questions and pm's never to be heard from again......
    you tell me Sir:D

Kramer wrote: »
    This place isn't what it used to be IMO.
    Interesting. Better/Worse overall? What would you do to change it for the better?

Guilty, your Honour!
    But to be fair, your post wasn't really backed up or substantiated. I did in fact apologise to you for casting you in the same light as 98b, following grizzly45 pointing out that he did in fact know you.

The information would be far more useful if backed-up with some evidence. That combined with our friend 98b's post on the same thread, did lead myself (and obviously some others) to suspect peoples bona fides.

"Grenade lobbing" was the crime you where accused of, if I remember correctly - by me - and I apologised. If you do not wish to accept or acknowledge my previous apology, that's fine by me.
    Too many blow-ins who've shot everything with every gun on every continent.

Who are you accusing of being a "blow-in"? - Firstly, none of what I wrote above refers in any way to you (also, ref: my previous apology)? Don't think I've met you, but there's plenty of lads on here who have met me and can vouch for my bona fides.

As for "blowing-in", what do you mean? In shooting, on boards, in Ireland, landed on the planet, what?

Never shot anywhere other than this fair isle of ours and have NEVER claimed to have done so - so don't know where you're getting the "continental" bit from.
    Guys shooting 5" vbulls @ 1000 yards off the shoulder with 10/22s etc.

Yes, and that particular poster was banned permanently for talking s***te and then threatening to sue boards AFAIK.
    Totally OT I know but the new trend seems to be towards conspiracy theories

Oh, trust me, it's not a new trend - far from it. Read my post above - I was accused of being an DoJ agent / sleeper myself back in October / November, as I mentioned.

It's not a conspiracy theory - It's my opinion. I may be wrong, but 98b has not done anything or acted in any other way that would dispell my concerns, frankly.

(And, as for you, kramer, my previous apology was obviously insufficient and none of the above posts where directed in any way at you, you're not even mentioned - So who's the paranoid one here, then?)

dCorbus wrote: »
    Yes, and that particular poster was banned permanently for talking s***te and then threatening to sue boards AFAIK.
    This isn't really the place to discuss why someone got banned, but I think I should say that you don't get banned from here for talking nonsense so long as it doesn't break the charter.

I mean, if we banned people for talking sh**e, we'd be fairly busier than we are now and it'd be a lot quieter in here...

Got to admit Kramer,that kind of info would have been better off deliverd to the folks it concerned either face to face meet or by a PM.
    I know you and will vouch for your authenticity anyday.But just coming out with it in a bold statement of somthing which I reckon is pretty confidential and [really only concerns two to three people here in a very big way at the moment] in public and then not being in a position to be able to verify it, for whatever reasons will give people the idea that it is so much BS.

However I do have a good idea as how ,where,and especially now WHO
    is behind this..;).
    Stay tuned.......

This isn't really the place to discuss why someone got banned, but I think I should say that you don't get banned from here for talking nonsense so long as it doesn't break the charter.

I mean, if we banned people for talking sh**e, we'd be fairly busier than we are now and it'd be a lot quieter in here

No but you do (or should) get banned for trolling. Or am I wrong?

(And before anyone takes this the wrong way, I am NOT saying anyone is trolling! Well, maybe except for the mysterious 98b:rolleyes:)

I take you point - of course, we all talk s***te here half the time, that's all part of the fun. But when it comes to serious issues, such certain recent DC decisions and issues about information/misinformation about new ranges (something we'd all presumably welcome and therefore like to know more about), I'd expect the posts to be made in some semblance of maturity. And not in a whispers-in-the-schoolyard manner.

Of course, when we're all having the banter, shooting-the-breeze, and generally trying to wind each other up as much as possible, the level of BS will increase - That's not what's p**sing me off - Again, here's the two words I keep bringing up BLATANT MISINFORMATION.

There's a world of difference between lads genuinely making mistakes, having "knowledge" which may be factually incorrect, or having opinions which none of us can agree on - VERSUS lads who seem to be systematically and blatantly going out of their way to misinform, mislead, and distort the facts.

Or do you not agree with this?

(EDIT: BTW ANYONE who knows me, will tell you I'm most definitely not one for conspiracy theories!)

I agree with you dC, it's just that (a) that's a hard case to prove, and (b) trolling is (to my mind at least) more a case of the head of ICABS posting in Hunting than it is a case of people repeating rumours as substantiated fact.
    Believe me, if we had a way to prevent the latter without preventing open discussion, we'd do it.
    Instead, we take a 'wisdom of crowds' approach to it. This place has enough eyeballs that sooner or later, someone spots the mistakes...

Thanks sparks, i know exactly what you mean.

Anyway, we've gone oh-so-far Off Topic, so in fairness to the O/P, I have to say fairplay to Ballyhoura and I do hope they get the improvements to the range and the extra distances in.

As I've said before, the more quality ranges around the country, all the better for shooters and our sports IMO.

So, keep us posted, darr.

Sparks wrote: »
    Interesting. Better/Worse overall? What would you do to change it for the better?

Sparks,
    It's the usual story with message boards/forums. As the forum gets more popular with more regular posters, the SNR inevitably drops.
    As the regulars become more & more disillusioned & post less frequently, so the SNR drops even more.
    TBH, I'm amazed you've modded here this long - either you're very dedicated or have masochistic tendencies :P:D

Change for the better? Impossible at this stage I reckon :(.
    As the saying goes..........a victim of its own success.

There aren't that many posters on here who are sensible & contribute constructively. There were far more in the past. It's a great way to dissemenate information but if visitors have to trawl through too many nonsensical posts & drivel, they just won't bother & probably won't come back.

Way OT & no offense intended to the many regular posters here :).

dCorbus,
    I can't remember who said what about who etc. & I'm not having a go at you or anyone specific. Apology? None sought from anyone either.
    If I post something here, it makes no odds to me who reads it, what they make of it, what they say about it, who knows me or who can "vouch" for me. Couldn't care less.
    Regarding "backing up" a post? Ditto.
    Do you honestly believe I'm going to post openly, sensitive information, received in confidence? Put an end to ever receiving such information in the future to satisfy someone I've never met sitting in front of a PC in God knows where? Justify a comment by breaking data protection rules & landing someone in hot water or even getting them sacked/prosecuted?
    Do you really think I'm that stupid?

But I digress..................:D

• Advertisement

To Mr Sparks and Mr Kramer ,

It is clear you have a level grasp of realism in reading your posts over the years.;)

Cant say that for all.:confused:

To those of you who get off on attacking others and writing sometimes threatening and volitile posts, dont forget some of us could be on this site a long time in many forms.

Do not expect that if there is useful info given to one in confidence that it can always be divulged. (ref. to the genius who asked me for my source and promised to keep my name out of it if possible.)

Lest there be any doubt I have nothing but best wishes to all of you who go about your various disiplines in shooting.

Advertisement