Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oh no...!!

• 15-05-2010 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭

Hey,

I knocked a cup of tea over my laptop this morning and now it won't boot up - lights go on when I power it up but screen stays dead, it workd for about half an hour afterwards then went t*ts up. Anyone know if this spells the end for it or will it come good after a dry-out? -it wasn't very much liquid, about an egg cup full I suppose. Tell me I haven't bricked the thing, I only just bought it :(

J

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bandit197

Turn it off and leave it to dry for a few days, you should have done this first. Turning it on has possibly shorted something out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

First of all: turn it off, remove hard drive and battery. Back up hard drive on an another machine. Leave in a warmish place (hot press) for a couple of days. Don't try to turn on before then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

Water damage really depends on a case by case basis. You might get lucky.

As mentioned above, remove power from the laptop including the battery and let it dry for a couple of days. Tempting and all that it is, do not turn it on in the meantime.

Best of luck with it - keep us informed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,570 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

if it was just water you might be ok but sugary tea won't be the best thing for it

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭JayC5

Balls..., turned it on and nothing happened only the 'power on' light came on. What now? - anyone know of anywhere in Dublin I can drop it in to and get it looked at?

Thanks again peops!

J

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

JayC5 wrote: »
    Balls..., turned it on and nothing happened only the 'power on' light came on. What now? - anyone know of anywhere in Dublin I can drop it in to and get it looked at?

Thanks again peops!

J

STOP TURNING IT ON!

Rule number one with wet electronics is to leave them off

Seriously, just leave it in a warm place for a few days as said if after then it doesn't work it's likely you've damaged something either from the initial spill or from repeatedly turning it on.

Since you have only just got it I would suggest try getting it looked at under warranty but ddon't mention the spillage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,236 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

You may get lucky, and this will work again when its dried. You have to hope none of the circuits were overloaded and that all you did was create a couple shorts that stopped it from working, but not in a way that would cause any circuits to blow (if water gets between a 1A rail and a 3A rail, the 3A rail will jump to the 1A and kill it - thats baaad..... but if you got some shorts between similar amperage lines, you may be alright.)

Doing warranty without mentioning spillage is tough, because without opening it (which usually trips a plastic ball-bearing or other tamper-proof devices) you can't be sure any of the Tea residue is left over.

Just leave it in the hot press for several days, at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭JayC5

So, day nine and nothing - just a blue power light and thats it. Contacted Asus and they said they'd send out a courier to pick it up etc etc and offer a quote to fix whatever needs to be done but I'd have to cover all costs... Would it work out cheaper if I dropped it into somewhere local for them to take a look at it and if so anyone have any ideas? (Dublin area preferably)

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,038 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

JayC5 wrote: »
    So, day nine and nothing - just a blue power light and thats it. Contacted Asus and they said they'd send out a courier to pick it up etc etc and offer a quote to fix whatever needs to be done but I'd have to cover all costs... Would it work out cheaper if I dropped it into somewhere local for them to take a look at it and if so anyone have any ideas? (Dublin area preferably)

Thanks

Most likely the m/b is fried, best thing is to send it back to Asus. They will have proper diagnostic tools to identify what has been damaged. I would wait for the quote from them and if it is over half of what you paid for the laptop originally then probably best to buy a new laptop and sell the old one for parts on adverts or something? Make sure you get Asus to tell you exactly what is wrong though, will help if you are trying to sell it for parts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,236 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I keep reading this thread title....

The fact that you were drinking a spot of tea doesnt allay the illusion.

• Advertisement
Advertisement