Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Castlebar nightlife dying a slow death?

Options
  • 15-05-2010 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

When the only place to go after 12 is a cesspit cave like structure.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

Are you talking about Cox's or Mantra?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

yes i have not been out in ages in castlebar. it badly needs a new bar for over 25s.

coxs is a ****hole and the lounge is just as bad.

the last time i was in mantra (the nightclub section) some bloke headbutted a girl right behind me.

i rather got to westport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

irishgeo wrote: »
    yes i have not been out in ages in castlebar. it badly needs a new bar for over 25s.

coxs is a ****hole and the lounge is just as bad.

the last time i was in mantra (the nightclub section) some bloke headbutted a girl right behind me.

i rather got to westport.
    Mantra is a disgrace. In college up near Dublin so don't go out in Cbar at the moment but went out for the Easter Bank Holiday and was shocked by what I saw. I wasn't drinking that night and was able to observe everything. Fights outside the club beforehand and inside was worse. Lads walking around wearing peaked caps and hoodies up. Girls in there who I know for a fact were underage (a lot of them 16). Had to prevent a fight on the way out to the smoking area too. Tried to avoid contact with anyone for the majority of the night and sat upstairs with a drink.

Would honestly much prefer to spend the evening in somewhere like Cox's now and I'm just turned 19.....the town definitely needs competition in the nightclub scene.

Edit: Have to echo the above poster's comments about Westport. C2 is a fantastic club compared to Mantra.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭phunkymonk

Mantra was alrite the last time i was there but its muck..da lads wont go anywhere else so whenever im out im forced to go to this place that smells like pi*s & full of 16-20 yr olds,

the town seriously needs another refurbished/good sized bar...with somethin like a band playin upstairs and chilled out downstairs with a late license..

Now show me the money and lets get this goin!

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

K4t wrote: »
    Would honestly much prefer to spend the evening in somewhere like Cox's now and I'm just turned 19.....the town definitely needs competition in the nightclub scene.
    your right there,I'm 19 and I haven't been to Mantra since last summer.Cox's is much better and it's free in.although it still isn't great.

they actually leat people into mantra with baseball caps on?That says it all really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭steph1

Business is down for everyone so they cant be too choosey about who they let in I'd say.
    Its the same all over Mayo. I'm in Ballina and bar a Saturday night there is nobody around. Its like a ghost town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

Short answer yes!

Long answer no!

What I mean is currently,as a regular Friday/Saturday/Sunday punter there is two options in the town for late bars/clubs. Coxes and Mantra. (Both have some problems anyone from Castlebar/surrounding areas know what I'm talking about).

Look at Westport, 99% of the people who have been out there have said its great craic, plenty of buzz about the place to it, and much prefer it to anywhere else in Mayo. Having said that it is a tourist town so obviously more stags/ hens etc looking for fun.

Anyways back on point, Castlebar needs:
    1. A big-ass nightclub, in the center of town. (the new elverys would have been perfect, or beside Bar One. Preferably with a simliar setup to C2's in Westport, two levels, one for Pop Dance R'n'b and two for oldies or some other ****e ;)
    2. More late night bars. (+Competition)
    3. Better security, aka more guards on patrol and cctv.

I'd say pedestrianise and roof Main st. but too expensive and could end up being a disaster.

Just my rant/ 2cents!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭ananas

Ewwwww The Lounge, I can't believe that they actually expect a tenner to go into a glorified cess pit. Mantra is also disgusting. The best night out in Castlebar is when you're heading away from it to Westport, or even Claremorris!

ananas wrote: »
    Ewwwww The Lounge, I can't believe that they actually expect a tenner to go into a glorified cess pit. Mantra is also disgusting. The best night out in Castlebar is when you're heading away from it to Westport, or even Claremorris!

Gimme back my avatar!!!

rumors of a new pub up the street from bosh think its supposed to be a merger of t flynns and the one beside it. space for 900 people if you believe the taxi drivers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

If it does open I hope they have good security and dont let the scum in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭francie82

Got locked yesterday an ended up gettin thrown out of coxs......for bein a messy drunk. stood outside for 15 min tryin to get in so i cud get my jacket....insulted da bouncers which was out of order....prob barred now.....fukn gutted

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭statto25

francie82 wrote: »
    Got locked yesterday an ended up gettin thrown out of coxs......for bein a messy drunk. stood outside for 15 min tryin to get in so i cud get my jacket....insulted da bouncers which was out of order....prob barred now.....fukn gutted

Thats no loss. Fair enough you shoudnt have given lip to the bouncers but I see being barred as a bonus. That place is a joke. Over the christmas it was abolsutely jammed with people to the point that you couldnt get out never mind get in. It took us twenty mins to get from the smoking area to the front door on one occasion with people being pushed left right and centre.

statto25 wrote: »
    Thats no loss. Fair enough you shoudnt have given lip to the bouncers but I see being barred as a bonus. That place is a joke. Over the christmas it was abolsutely jammed with people to the point that you couldnt get out never mind get in. It took us twenty mins to get from the smoking area to the front door on one occasion with people being pushed left right and centre.

how many one wonders does the fire cert cover?

how many one wonders does the fire cert cover?

One would wonder. With the Welcome Inn looking like closing (according to the rumours) anyone who frequented the Lounge will have to go to Cox's for a late drink or up to the TF (shudder). That will add more bodies to the place.

One would wonder. With the Welcome Inn looking like closing (according to the rumours) anyone who frequented the Lounge will have to go to Cox's for a late drink or up to the TF (shudder). That will add more bodies to the place.

whats the new TF like anyway?

whats the new TF like anyway?

The nightclub is the new mantra, wall to wall with kids.
    The other two bars arent too bad but nothing to talk about.
    I have been there twice, both nights there was no air conditioning. Place was full and the heat was unbearable (God I sound like an auld fella!!!) I just left.

will hav to start headin over on morans bus to westport if things dont improve.....

The nightclub is the new mantra, wall to wall with kids.
    The other two bars arent too bad but nothing to talk about.
    I have been there twice, both nights there was no air conditioning. Place was full and the heat was unbearable (God I sound like an auld fella!!!) I just left.

Well, this is purely anecdotal but I hear many nightclubs dont bother turning on air conditioning, to save money and also to encourage more people buy more drinks = maximum profit.

francie82 wrote: »
    will hav to start headin over on morans bus to westport if things dont improve.....

have you got the number and are they the people that have the buses in manor village. live in there myself so it would be handy to hop before he heads into town.

• Advertisement

have you got the number and are they the people that have the buses in manor village. live in there myself so it would be handy to hop before he heads into town.

details on http://michael-moran.coach-hire.transport.castlebar-mayo.tel/

Advertisement