Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cake board and box question?

Options
  • 15-05-2010 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭

I'm making/decorating a wedding cake soon and I would like to ask any experienced cake decorators what are the best options for transporting the cakes?

The cake sizes will be 8", 10" and 12".

When buying a cake boards, do I buy one/two sizes up for each to give extra circumference? E.g, for the 8" cake should I have a 10" board underneath it, or a 9" or an 8"?

The same question for the cake boxes, any recommendations, do I get a 14" or a 12" cake box for the 12" layer? Is it better to be snug?

Forwarned is forarmed and I would really really appreciate any advice you seasoned cake decorators could offer me!!:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭tscul32

Is the cake to be stacked or will they be separate. If stacked then the base should be on a board 3 inches bigger. That way with almond paste/icing there should still be an inch all round. Then I'd have the smaller ones just on thin cards the same size as the cake.
    If they're to remain separate I'd put them all on boards 3 inches bigger, so for 8, 10, 12 you'd need 11, 13, 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

The cakes are separate and not stacked, so would you advise that I buy boxes three inches extra, or more?thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭tscul32

sorry, forgot you asked about boxes too. If the board is 11 inches and then ideally get an 11 inch box, if you can, mightn't be that easy to get specific sized boxes. To be honest, whatever sized box will do, just safer when it's exact so you don't accidentally try to lift it at the edges and get one side with nothing above it, if you know what I mean. Get as close as you can to the board size.

Advertisement