Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

1979 Datsun 200L

Options
  • 15-05-2010 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭

Picked this up on Thursday in Dublin. After a good clean and a compound it turned out quite presentable,though it needs more compounding and attention to various marks on it. Still on its original paint which isnt too bad although it will need a respray at some stage. Its driving very well and is structurally 100%,the only rust is cosmetic really,bottoms of the doors are shot and theres various small rust scabs all over the car. Even the tape player works perfectly,iv been in the attic trying to find long lost tapes!:D

P1010556.jpg

P1010558.jpg

P1010561.jpg

Needs a rear bumper,one of the reflective markers on top of the wings,a grille badge and the top of the rear seat is wrecked from the sun,although its not too bad. Also the back box has been replaced by a straight pipe,so its quite loud.
    Anyone know of a scrapper around that could be picked over?

Anyone have pics of any other ones in the country.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Blue850

Well wear.
    DatsunLowrider.jpg

you know you want to:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Blue850 wrote: »
    Well wear.
    you know you want to:D
    Thanks,i had seen that pic before and the thought had crossed my mind!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Blue850

2 I've seen at shows

459.jpg

Rooskey2007004.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Bigus

"This Weeks classic Bargain That I Bought" !!!!

Good luck all you need now is a taxi plate to go with it !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Bigus

PS is your collection complete or are you going to rest on your LAURELS ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭kasper

well wear the datsun fleet is coming along nicely ,whats next ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

All you need now is a rare early Datsun Micra (1982-1985 model)!

Thanks for the comments lads,the main problem with a car like this is spares.i havent seen another 200L in years,the last one i reckon i saw was in athlone in 2001 on an LI plate.
    As for at the moment i have,
    '76 100A Estate
    '80 100A FII
    '79 200L (irish)
    And my friend has
    '74 100A 4door
    '77 120Y Coupe
    '79 120Y saloon
    '79 140J saloon (irish)

Surely enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

never enough! congratulations on a very original looking car, almost a shame to paint it!

kev1.3s wrote: »
    never enough! congratulations on a very original looking car, almost a shame to paint it!
    I know,as the say,its only original once. Its just about ok at the moment,except it has typical old man repairs in various places with a paintbrush,and someone dabbed all the rust spots with some kind of sealer that ran down the sides of the car,it comes off,but its slow work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Good man, fair play :D

Have you pics of the estate up anywhere?

Onkle wrote: »
    Have you pics of the estate up anywhere?
    P1010411.jpg?t=1274031637

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Thanks for the comments lads,the main problem with a car like this is spares.i havent seen another 200L in years,the last one i reckon i saw was in athlone in 2001 on an LI plate.

Might be a few bits on this.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/scrawb/4468322922/in/set-72157623267456103/

you would have to bring a strimmer in the tool box

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

*cough* How much?? *cough*

hi5 wrote: »
    Any idea where this is? And is it still there?

PM sent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

I drove a 200L once when I was a kid, (for legal reasons I'm not going to say how old I actually was!) I thought it was the absolute cheese at the time. Just looking at the fit of that glovebox lid though would give a Skoda engineer the heebie jeebies.

Were these Irish built, or Japanese built?

Max_Damage wrote: »
    Were these Irish built, or Japanese built?
    Brittains had the Datsun franchise in Ireland, though the company appaerently never recovered from the severance of the BL franchise in 1974 and collapsed in 1977.
    Datsun Ireland emerged from the ashes of the Brittain Group and became a very strong player on the Irish car market. Their large import facility on the Naas Road in Dublin was where part of the Brittains operation existed.
    So i guess all the cars after the Brittain collapse were imported complete? Or were they still CKD? Anyone know for sure?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Any idea where this is? And is it still there?

Co Kildare,I dont know if its still there.
    I'll PM you his name and number.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

My father bought a brand new one in '78, 303 GZD bought from Esmonde Motors. It was the pre-facelift one with the round twin headlamps.

Lovely car, very fond memories and a smooth 6 cylinder engine (a copy of the Merc engine)

A friend of our bought one like that too, around the same time 370 LZH.I'm not positive but I dont think the Laurels were assembled here, I recall our having lots of Jap writing on the chassis plate and certain lables, if that makes any difference.

I've seen that navy one you bought around North Co. Dublin a lot in the last year. I wonder where it was hidden away?

MercMad wrote: »

I've seen that navy one you bought around North Co. Dublin a lot in the last year. I wonder where it was hidden away?
    Apparently it was in a shed for years in the midlands somewhere. It must have been a fairly good shed.
    Id love to know the whole story. The Taxbook is a replacement so not much good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭1948Wolseley

Wow, just stumbled across this thread, can't believe I missed it before. That version of Datsun Laurel was the car that got me interested in classic cars in the first place, at the ripe old age of four. My grandfather had two of them in succession in the '80's/early '90's. One was on a ZF plate, can't remember the reg of the other one. My grandfathers' Cortina-driving neighbor had no respect for them, but the Laurels never gave a day's trouble while I seem to remember said neighbor always having to park his Cortina at the top of a hill so that he could bump start it on said hill.

Seeing the interior picture of your 200L brought memories flooding back of me sitting on my grandmothers lap when I was a little 'un! I also remember being really sad the day the second Laurel was finally hauled off to the scrapyard with more rust than metal in the bodywork, but still running as sweet as the day it left the factory.

Edit: I kept all the badges off that car too, but they got thrown out a few years later. I could have given you that bonnet badge if I'd held onto 'em! Bugger!

Good story,good to see that the thead is jogging memories like that. I suppose you have no pictures of said cars?

Unfortunatly many of them ended up like this,more so in england and it was seeing them being wrecked in Demolition derbys in Rosegreen in the early 90s was what got me into them in the first place. They're a tough old bus.
    200L1.jpg

200L2.jpg

200L3.jpg

200L4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭68deville

i can recall the wifes uncle owning a early 80s laurel in metallic red and i am certain he said that the original owner was Dr Tony O Reilly in Kildare?
    i will look into it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭TigerTim

Nearly fell off me bike in Tralee yesterday when I saw it:D. Magic sound from the engine. Enjoy
    T.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/1314110

You know you want to, Carchaeologist!

• Advertisement

i would think it is probably a ni or english reg ?

Advertisement