Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

1979 Datsun 200L

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

TigerTim wrote: »
    Nearly fell off me bike in Tralee yesterday when I saw it:D. Magic sound from the engine. Enjoy
    T.
    Thanks Tim,engine is a tad loud as someone fitted a straight pipe instead of a rear box!
    Where did you see me?

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/1314110

You know you want to, Carchaeologist!
    Nice wheels,though three Dattys is enough for the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭TigerTim

Coming around Moyderwell corner by SF office.

T.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Foleyart

I had one of these in the the late eighties. Beautiful car, quietest car on the road with that v6 engine. The only problem I ever had with it was I burned out the clutch, my own fault, Foolish youth etc. Good memories thanks op.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

Foleyart wrote: »
    I had one of these in the the late eighties. Beautiful car, quietest car on the road with that v6 engine. The only problem I ever had with it was I burned out the clutch, my own fault, Foolish youth etc. Good memories thanks op.

I think the original 200L was a straight 6? and even when they started badging it as the Laurel it had the straight 6 for a good number of years. Even BMW now have stopped with the straight 6 which is a real shame. One of the nicest configurations on the planet (after the V8!).

• Advertisement

Yes,straight 6,a pretty big one,overhead cam too. They do sound good!
    I dont think Nissan did a V6 around that time?
    Anyone have any wheel suggestions,im not huge fan of the hubcaps,which arent the correct ones,they are 14" wheels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Ah here mate, keep the car original. Leave the hubcaps on it.

Plus I think they look class. Proper 70's look! :)

Max_Damage wrote: »
    Ah here mate, keep the car original. Leave the hubcaps on it.

Plus I think they look class. Proper 70's look! :)
    They are from a P6 rover,though they look pretty ok. Im not thinking of going mad,jus something like this
    STMvc-381f.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭1948Wolseley

This is the only picture I could find of my grandfather's Laurel (the second one). As you can see, your hubcaps could have been a lot worse!

Laurel.jpg

Ha,nice,cowbox on and all! Very irish!
    Pity the damn pic didnt link out in my last post.:(

• Advertisement

engine is a tad loud as someone fitted a straight pipe instead of a rear box..
    Fitted a rear silencer(from some kind of mitsubishi) over the weeked,transforms the car. Its lovely and quiet now. And it can be driven over 50mph without going deaf.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

Saw you on Sunday near the county council offices. You've a brake light out! :D

Saw you on Sunday near the county council offices. You've a brake light out! :D
    Ha,crap,must be recent so,they were all working last week! Thanks!:D

:( A dead 240L30042009001-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭TigerTim

Tail light out in the Merc as well. Better buy a few bulbs !!:D

T.

TigerTim wrote: »
    Tail light out in the Merc as well. Better buy a few bulbs !!:D

T.
    haha,my brother is runnin that at the moment,i already told him about it!
    This is like the keep tabs on carkys cars thread! lol!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Kevin_Herron

There was a very clean champagne coloured 200L at Mosney today.
    Before you ask, no, I ddint take a pic!
    But somebody else might have!

It was an English reg.

There was a very clean champagne coloured 200L at Mosney today.
    Before you ask, no, I ddint take a pic!
    But somebody else might have!

It was an English reg.
    Would this be her Kevin?
    Rooskey2007004.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Blue850

Would this be her Kevin?
    Rooskey2007004.jpg

He said champagne, not piss yella:D

459.jpg

Blue850 wrote: »
    He said champagne, not piss yella:D
    Haha,anytime i go near Champagne i soon forget the colour of it!:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Kevin_Herron

Haha!
    It is the car in the latter pic!

Obviously, neither would have the pedigree of your car though!

Obviously, neither would have the pedigree of your car though!
    They are alot cleaner paintwise though.
    And in the pic of the champagne one,it looks like there is another one to the left side of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

This is like the keep tabs on carkys cars thread! lol!:D

At the risk of sounding like a stalker, is that you draping yourself across a Datsun with Cobra stripes in this week's Kerry's Eye?

At the risk of sounding like a stalker, is that you draping yourself across a Datsun with Cobra stripes in this week's Kerry's Eye?
    Lol,caught! Tis indeed,the car is a 120Y Coupe. The guy taking the pic took around 15 shots to get that one pic,a model is one job that would piss me off after half a day,and hence the slightly peeved head on me...:p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 536 ✭✭✭ahal

Bigus wrote: »
    PS is your collection complete or are you going to rest on your LAURELS ?

Would that be with or without a CHERRY on top?

:p

Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 48 captainchaos

Brittains had the Datsun franchise in Ireland, though the company appaerently never recovered from the severance of the BL franchise in 1974 and collapsed in 1977.
    Datsun Ireland emerged from the ashes of the Brittain Group and became a very strong player on the Irish car market. Their large import facility on the Naas Road in Dublin was where part of the Brittains operation existed.
    So i guess all the cars after the Brittain collapse were imported complete? Or were they still CKD? Anyone know for sure?

To protect the Irish "car manufacturing industry" Datsun had to produce here (by CKD) 5% of the market before they could import complete models from Japan! SO both the Cherry and the Sunny were home produced with all else imported from Japan. Needless to say the unions had Datsun over a barrell re. the 5% and extracted massive pay increases to the extent they eventually priced the jobs away! The Irish produced cars were shabbily built and not surprisingly few survive!

Datsun lost money on all the home produced cars and needed the imported cars to made some profit!

How CKD would the kits have been? Engine/gearbox out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

How CKD would the kits have been? Engine/gearbox out?

IKEA style maybe!? :D

From wiki..
    The "knockdowns" or "kits of parts" are both misnomers because the knockdowns were never built up in the first place and the shipments may not be in the form of all the components needed for the complete assembly of a product in a kit. In reality, most of the unassembled parts are bulk packed by type into shipping containers, while the degree of "knockdown" depends on the desires and technical abilities of the receiving organization or government import regulations. Developing nations may pursue trade and economic policies that call for import substitution or local content regulations. Companies with CKD operations help the country substitute the finished products it imports with locally assembled substitutes.
    Knockdown kit assembling plants are less expensive to establish and maintain because they do not need modern robotic equipment, and the working force is usually much less expensive in comparison to the home country. They may also be effective for low-volume production. The CKD concept allows firms in developing markets to gain expertise in a particular industry. At the same time, the CKD kit exporting company gains new markets that would otherwise be closed.

In the automotive industry, the most basic form of a vehicle in KD kit lacks the engine, transmission and battery - which are either supplied as parts for assembly (a "complete" kit), or obtained from third parties (an "incomplete" kit); wheels and all of the interiors are already installed at the originating factory. To gain some extra tax preferences, the manufacturer needs to further localise the car, i.e. increase the share of parts produced by local manufacturers, such as tires, wheels, seats, headlights, windscreens and glass, batteries, interior plastics, etc.; down to the engine and transmission. At some point, even the steel body could be pressed, welded, and painted locally; this effectively makes KD assembly only a couple of steps behind the full-scale production.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 captainchaos

To protect the Irish "car manufacturing industry" Datsun had to produce here (by CKD) 5% of the market before they could import complete models from Japan! SO both the Cherry and the Sunny were home produced with all else imported from Japan. Needless to say the unions had Datsun over a barrell re. the 5% and extracted massive pay increases to the extent they eventually priced the jobs away! The Irish produced cars were shabbily built and not surprisingly few survive!

Datsun lost money on all the home produced cars and needed the imported cars to made some profit!

The engine and gearbox came in complete!

The body panels were assembled together first ,then welded, then painted with the axles,gearbox and engine added then. Then the interior and wheels! As already mentioned many parts were sourced locally ie Dunlop tyres form Cork, car batteries, mirrors ,glass etc.!

Advertisement