Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Alan Green not commentating on cup final

• 15-05-2010 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭

Huge surprise for 5Live sport listeners, as the controversial commentator was notable by his absence today. Himself and Mike Ingham have commentated on every big final since the early nineties for the station.

Instead, John Murray was alongside Ingham at Wembley today. Murray's very good,and the clear #3 in the commentary ranks for several years, but still a surprise to see him elevated to commentate on a showpiece final.

Wonder if something is happening away from the mic!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Maybe he had a sore throat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Shame about that. Alan Green a terrific commentator IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Shame about that. Alan Green a terrific commentator IMO.

He can be very unprofessional at times, a good sports commentator should not allow their own personal preferencese affect their commentary. Alan green can be very biased in his commentaries at times.

Yes have noticed he has got more opinionated in last few years but again he just captures the game brilliantly.
    I used to love listening to Peter Jones commentaries on the radio when I was a kid and Alan Green still my favourite living radio commentator on soccer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

I don't like Alan Green.

He comes into every game with an agenda, loves to mouth off on any subject that occurs to him, regardless of it's relevance to the game on which he is commentating.

He also loves to complain during his commentary on the state of his hotel or how the roadworks delayed him. Nobody cares, talk about the match.

He was a decent commentator years ago but the praise he received went to his head, and he now considers himself a personality.

Much prefer John Murray, hope he continues to get more high profile matches.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Have to agree about the way he's become the story and yep moaning that its cold in the gantry for a January 606 is a bit tedious alright.

mike65 wrote: »
    Have to agree about the way he's become the story and yep moaning that its cold in the gantry for a January 606 is a bit tedious alright.
    Gantrys can be cold sometimes. What was it he said about Fergie that annoyed him so much. Fergie and him had a very big falling out once.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

The Fergie feud stems back to a match versus Liverpool in 1988, where they drew 3-3 against their bitter rivals, and got a man sent off

After the match Green talked to then Liverpool boss Kenny Dalglish and wanted to get an interview with Fergie. When he approached him for a few postmatch words, fergie in front some other media people, accused Green of being a Liverpool fan (surprise) and walked off.

Green goes into detail about this in his autobiography!

I agree that Green is not the commentator he was, but it was still surprising that he didn't commentate on the final for 5Live. Murray will almost certainly take over as the station's #1 commentator in the next few years!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 TH2

He's still very entertaining though

Haven't heard many commentaries recently. How is Conor McNamara getting on with them at the moment?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

TH2 wrote: »
    He's still very entertaining though

That's debatable. I supppose it depends on how you wish to be entertained. If it's by a non biased professional commentary on a sporting event I'd say he's far from entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭JimboJones74

Always liked Mike Ingham instead of Alan Green. Who would be peoples favourite commentator regardless of sport? I find Michael Corcoran on RTE for rugby hard to listen to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Shane10

used to like ron jones when he was on 5live, he does a good bit of commentating for today fm now on saturdays. all of the commentators on 5live are really good. dont think they have a bad one.

yeah agree with last two posts there. both mike ingham and ron jones very good.

Haven't heard many commentaries recently. How is Conor McNamara getting on with them at the moment?

One of the higher ranked commentators and he should be commentating (or co-commentating) on many matches at the World Cup, especially with Simon Brotherton only working for TV during the tournament.

Definitely missed from TV3!

One of the higher ranked commentators and he should be commentating (or co-commentating) on many matches at the World Cup, especially with Simon Brotherton only working for TV during the tournament.

Definitely missed from TV3!
    Heard a very amusing anecdote where McNamara once called the King of Spain the chief bottlewasher during a commentary. Which means he is the man in charge if Im right. Didnt go down well though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

The Muppet wrote: »
    Alan green can be very biased in his commentaries at times.

He dosen't like Sir Alex and visa versa.

I like him a great deal:)

Advertisement