Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haven't seen a single episode of Doctor Who..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,013 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Watched from the end of 'Smith and Jones' (S03E01) to '42' (S03E07) on the plane on the way over to Miami. 'The Lodger' was on in my hotel on Saturday night (Bewley's, Dublin Airport) - didn't watch it but I did notice how different the opening titles were.

As for what I watched on the plane - it's was a bit hit and miss in parts alright - 'Gridlock' was a near perfect episode bar the revelation of the crab type monsters (I expected something a little more sinister), whereas 'The Lazurus Experiment' was just a bit of a bore. I'm also finding Martha's mother to be massively irritating.. even moreso than Jackie Tyler, who I warmed to over time.

The 'Daleks in New York' (Daleks in Manhatten / Evolution of The Daleks) two-parter was a bit of a washout as well. It didn't help that the "human dalek" looked like he had a bunch of penises coming out of his head. That plus Tallulah's ("2 L's, 1 H") accent irritated the balls off me.

'42' was a great episode however.. a real 'Sunshine' vibe off it. And that's always a good thing!

Will probably get most of season 3 finished on the way back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Hard to disagree with any of that. I expect you'll love the last 6 episodes of season 3. The next two-parter is very good, the next episode after it, Blink, is regarded as one of the best Dr Wo episodes ever, and the series 3 finale is the best so far IMO, so lots of quality viewing still to come for you, my friend :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭Pittens

Enjoying basquille's analysis, mainly since he tends to dislike ( or be tepid towards) what I dislike, and like what I like.

I like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

basquille wrote: »
    As for what I watched on the plane - it's was a bit hit and miss in parts alright - 'Gridlock' was a near perfect episode bar the revelation of the crab type monsters (I expected something a little more sinister)

Ha. They're the Macra. They an old foe from back in the days of the second Doctor.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Watched from the end of 'Smith and Jones' (S03E01) to '42' (S03E07) on the plane on the way over to Miami. 'The Lodger' was on in my hotel on Saturday night (Bewley's, Dublin Airport) - didn't watch it but I did notice how different the opening titles were.

As for what I watched on the plane - it's was a bit hit and miss in parts alright - 'Gridlock' was a near perfect episode bar the revelation of the crab type monsters (I expected something a little more sinister), whereas 'The Lazurus Experiment' was just a bit of a bore. I'm also finding Martha's mother to be massively irritating.. even moreso than Jackie Tyler, who I warmed to over time.

The 'Daleks in New York' (Daleks in Manhatten / Evolution of The Daleks) two-parter was a bit of a washout as well. It didn't help that the "human dalek" looked like he had a bunch of penises coming out of his head. That plus Tallulah's ("2 L's, 1 H") accent irritated the balls off me.

'42' was a great episode however.. a real 'Sunshine' vibe off it. And that's always a good thing!

Will probably get most of season 3 finished on the way back.

Stick with it, you have family of blood, blink and utopia coming up.

I told you it was highs and lows from here on in :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭kiddums

I didn't really like family of blood, but other than that I agree with everything else doom has said. Blink is one of my favourite episodes.
    As doom said, there are high's and low's, but personally I think there are high poijnts and just not as high points form now on. It's still one of the best shows on TV (And I'm inculding firefly in that, which I love too).
    I was always wary of 'big' names joining Dr.who (such as catherine tate) but they all grew on me very quickly.

OK.. that's season 3 in the bag (or season 29 depending on how you look at it!) and it was largely a very good season marred by a couple of very poor episodes.

Let's get straight to the point: I had a lot of problems with 'The Sound of Drums' / 'Last Of The Time Lords'. They just were two pretty damn awful episodes.. and as a two-parter, it felt tired and a bit silly. And don't even get me started on the "Gollum Doctor". 'Utopia' was a very good episode though the return of Captain Jack irked me - he seemed more "comic cutout" than usual.

I like John Simms.. although as The Master, he verged too much on the silly but slightly sinister - he was best when downright evil and not dancing around to "pop ditties".

On the upside, 'Blink' was an absolutely incredible episode. A masterclass in storytelling and writing.. incredibly well structured, written and played out. And even the preview of it at the end of the episode before it (can't recall what that was right now) with the Doctor's camcorder footage gave me goosebumps.

'Human Nature' and 'The Family of Blood' were both very good.. with Thomas Sangster giving an incredibly mature and refined performance. And I will admit having a lump in my throat at the end of 'The Family Of Blood'.

Not too bothered to see the back of Martha.. Freema wasn't bad at all but she wasn't as enthralling to watch as Billie Piper (never thought I'd say that). But I suppose she didn't want to replicate the performance of Piper (which would be a hard act to follow).

Now onto season 4!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

You're pretty much on the same wavelenght as the rest of us around here Basq, so I imagine in a few episodes time you'll be posting about how shocked you are that you are enjoying Catherine Tate as a companion...

Christ.. don't know about that.. but we'll see!

On hindsight, she actually didn't annoy me that much in 'The Runaway Bride'.

Have to suffer through Kylie first though actually!

** shudder **

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Christ.. don't know about that.. but we'll see!

On hindsight, she actually didn't annoy me that much in 'The Runaway Bride'.

Have to suffer through Kylie first though actually!

** shudder **

I honestly don't remember how I felt about Kylie in that episode - I don't think she was too bad... Anyway Russell Tovey is in the episode, so that makes up for Kylie...

• Advertisement

Anyway Russell Tovey is in the episode, so that makes up for Kylie...
    Ah great.. Russell Tovey's fantastic.

Even from his smaller roles in stuff like 'Gavin & Stacey', he always puts in a great performance. One of the more likeable young actors working today.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Doing something similar to Basquille myself at the min. Watched all this season and loved it, saw a few episodes here and there of Season 1-4 but didnt follow it each week so decided now that Season 5 has ended its a bit of a wait till christmas so im going to catch up on the last 4 seasons from scratch! Starting with Season 1 tomorrow..Christopher Eccleston..come on down!!

Enjoy it Axwell.. I've certainly loved it!

I'm gonna keep discussing unspoilered if you don't mind.. so you have been warned! :D

Wasn't a big fan of 'Voyage Of The Damned' - Kylie simply did the stock performance of "damsel in over her head" and might as well been saying "you awful awful man!" for the episode's duration. The writing in this episode just seemed a bit off... Tennant must have mentioned that he was the Doctor and that he was here to save us about 3 times, minor characters were being introduced and killed off (with barely enough character development for us to give a crap about it), characters that were 1 dimensional and painful to watch (Rickston Slade) and it certainly just felt a bit rushed and lazy. I did like that London was deserted due to the circumstances of the previous 2 Christmases though! :)

I did fall asleep shortly before the end of "Partners In Crime" but I largely enjoyed what I saw. Not the strongest episode ever and the "walking fat" were a little too cartoonish looking for my liking. For some reason, they reminded me of what the children of the Tic Tac's in this ad would look like:

Yeah.. my mind wanders!

Did find The Doctor and Donna communicating with each other through 2 sets of glass across a room when they reunited quite entertaining.

F*cking hell.. don't know if anyone can remember back to this specifically - but anyone else remember finding the constant and overloud score in 'Fires Of Pompeii' incredibly distracting? It's a passable episode.. but the music is really bothering me for some reason.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

F*cking hell.. don't know if anyone can remember back to this specifically - but anyone else remember finding the constant and overloud score in 'Fires Of Pompeii' incredibly distracting? It's a passable episode.. but the music is really bothering me for some reason.
    Not so much that episode but in general the music is far too loud, drowning out converation at the time. Whoever is responsible should have been kicked off the set years ago. It's a complaint people have had since "Rose".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Funny you should say that ixoy, it's been most noticeable for me in the Fourth Doctor's adventures!

Hasn't been as bad as it has been in the past this season... but the finale definitely went a bit over board in parts.

Enjoy it Axwell.. I've certainly loved it!

I'm gonna keep discussing unspoilered if you don't mind.. so you have been warned! :D

Wasn't a big fan of 'Voyage Of The Damned' - Kylie simply did the stock performance of "damsel in over her head" and might as well been saying "you awful awful man!" for the episode's duration. The writing in this episode just seemed a bit off... Tennant must have mentioned that he was the Doctor and that he was here to save us about 3 times, minor characters were being introduced and killed off (with barely enough character development for us to give a crap about it), characters that were 1 dimensional and painful to watch (Rickston Slade) and it certainly just felt a bit rushed and lazy. I did like that London was deserted due to the circumstances of the previous 2 Christmases though! :)

I did fall asleep shortly before the end of "Partners In Crime" but I largely enjoyed what I saw. Not the strongest episode ever and the "walking fat" were a little too cartoonish looking for my liking. For some reason, they reminded me of what the children of the Tic Tac's in this ad would look like:

Yeah.. my mind wanders!

Did find The Doctor and Donna communicating with each other through 2 sets of glass across a room when they reunited quite entertaining.

Did you see time crash?

STICK TO MY RULES YOUNG MAN!!! :D

Otherwise again, You say nothing I would disagree with. However, I do think on average S4 has more highs, As RTD actuall does two great episodes, mid night and turn left, Moffat does a 2 parter (I think it's his weakest but it dooes intoduce River Song) and Donna is a delight in most episodes.

However.

Big however.

The Doctors Daughter.

*Shivers*

And the finale to this series... just... don't get excited for it... please?

If I recall this is such a well known problem english comedy shows were taking the piss out of it at one point.

Also one of the seers in fires of Pompey now plays 11's assistant :)

Did you see time crash?

STICK TO MY RULES YOUNG MAN!!! :D

I did indeed! ;)

Not that it added a whole lot, but entertaining nonetheless.
    And the finale to this series... just... don't get excited for it... please?
    After the crushing disappointment of "The Last Of The Time Lords", I'm trying to go into all season finales from now on with low expectations.
    If I recall this is such a well known problem english comedy shows were taking the piss out of it at one point.
    It didn't bother me up until 'The Fires Of Pompeii', it was just unbelievably loud and distracting!

Looks like I wasn't the only one bothered by it:
    A cracking return to form with James Moran scripting. But somebody shoot the orchestra, please...

If series four of new Who becomes available with a ‘Turn off over-bearing James Horner-style choir music’ button in ‘audio options’, I will buy it at full price. And pre-order. I’m able to recognise dramatic situations and respond to well-written dialogue without having my lugholes washed in the waves of saccharine-sweet music cues that were in evidence towards the conclusion of The Fires Of Pompeii, and I imagine most Who fans over the age of three are as well. It’s distracting and detracting, so please, pack it in, Beeb!
    Also one of the seers in fires of Pompey now plays 11's assistant :)
    Yeah, doing an Google image search for "Karen Gillan" (for research purposes of course) does reveal that (2nd photo in, 2nd row).

Yeah, doing an Google image search for "Karen Gillan" (for research purposes of course) does reveal that (2nd photo in, 2nd row).

There was a Viz Top Tip on twitter today that read: "MEN. Leaving sci-fi novels about the house will throw the wife off the scent as to the real reason you now watch Dr. Who."

• Advertisement

Not to get too far off-topic but she is just stunning..

.. she's just naturally very beautiful.

PS - I'd horse it into her!
    PPS - Twice!

Not to get too far off-topic but she is just stunning..

.. she's just naturally very beautiful.

PS - I'd horse it into her!
    PPS - Twice!

She really is.

I had a bee in my bonnet a while back about a disturbing phenomenom of mysogany winding it's way into "cult" fandoms- which built to a rather disgusting crescendo at a san diego comic con where middle aged men where delibrately intimidating teenaged girl twilight fans by screaming at them in mock imitation of a fan girl "squee". Apparently it was quite uncomfortable to watch.

In Dr. Who circles I noticed it sneaking in as older fans dismissing people who came on board and fancied David Tennant- basically intimating they were silly little wanna bes and the ONLY reason they were bothering was a good looking man.

But of course, it's fine for them to ogle Karen Gillan! (It is by the way, just as it's fine for girladies to ogle Tennant.)

Anyway, I think it's all good, who cares why people get into Dr Who as long as they enjoy it and stick around. Surely a womanly touch around any scene's a good thing.

(I am perversely interested why you only really get people who have previously shown no interest slamming the new series. That's weird.)

Ogling the companion is a time honored Doctor Who tradition.

Indeed I don't think anyone even noticed Peter Davison in his last scene because of how Peri was shot :)

Here's an Irish company you can pay to have Bonnie Langford turn up at your house...

http://redcarpet.ie/bonnielangford.html

I wonder what her rates are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Here's an Irish company you can pay to have Bonnie Langford turn up at your house...

http://redcarpet.ie/bonnielangford.html

I wonder what her rates are.
    I'm just hitting her run in Trial of a Timelord and would happy pay her to stay the **** away. A companion hasn't annoyed me this much since Adric and Teagan's squabbling.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yep, Sarah Jane, followed by Leela, then Rose for me. I know the latter may ruffle some feathers but.... ;) Amy does nada for me TBH *runs and ducks sonic screwdrivers set to seriously embarrass* :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Yep, Sarah Jane, followed by Leela, then Rose for me. I know the latter may ruffle some feathers but.... ;) Amy does nada for me TBH *runs and ducks sonic screwdrivers set to seriously embarrass* :D

I'm not saying Billie Piper is in any way unattractice, but... seriously?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yep. Seriously. :D The amy wan does little for me character wise or in does little to float my boat.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

Hmmm.. am 5 episodes into season 4 ('The Poison Sky' to be exact).. and I'm definitely not enjoying it nearly as much as the previous 3 seasons! :(

Almost every episode so far has had something that has irked me.. whether it's overloud music, silly Martha clones or below-par performances (the normally excellent Tim McInnery just didn't impress me at all in 'Planet of The Ood').

I will admit to warming to Catherine Tate more and more, but I hope the season improves.

Maybe I'm just not in the mood for it or something.. but I even fell asleep twice during 'Planet of The Ood' (and I wasn't particularly tired).

Gonna finish 'The Poison Sky' after 'The IT Crowd'.

PS - The Doctor just put on a gas mask and said "Are you my mummy?" - first genuine LOL moment this series. Loved it! :D

Advertisement