Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haven't seen a single episode of Doctor Who..

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Glad you like Smith... He has easily become my favourite Doctor and the season is truly amazing, apart from the aforementioned Victory of the Daleks, but compared to some of the stinkers during Tennant's era, it's not that bad...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Glad you like Smith... He has easily become my favourite Doctor and the season is truly amazing, apart from the aforementioned Victory of the Daleks, but compared to some of the stinkers during Tennant's era, it's not that bad...

I often make this point about the Smith series, it's very consistent. The bad episodes are no where near the badness of the previous era.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭kiddums

Once you get trough Victory of the Daleks you have a 2 parter in which you do see Karen Gillan stretch her lovely acting legs.

I agree tho, the bad episodes in this season aren't as bad as the stinkers from previous seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,923 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Well.. there we go kids. Finished off my weekend by finishing season 5.. and it's, without doubt, the most consistent season of 'Who' I've watched (albeit it only 5! :o)!

And the run-down of the episodes:

'Victory of the Daleks' wasn't nearly as bad as I'd imagined it would be. Yes, the unveiling of the multi-coloured Dalek's reminded me when they relaunched the MINI Ones in various colours, but it was decent enough. The running time flew by and it was pretty enjoyable.

'The Time of Angels / Flesh and Stone' marked the return of The Weeping Angels and the first episode of the always great Moffet two-parters. And marked the first re-appearance of Alex Kingston as River Song. A damn fine episode that was made even better by it's concluding part, which was an absolute corker of an episode. That one scene with
    Amy keeping her eyes shut as we saw the Angels move around here
    - gave me shivers. The teleportation of Amy by River was a bit "convienient", but what preceded it more than made up for it.

'The Vampires of Venice' wasn't a great one but the first episode taking Rory along for the ride. Arthur Darvill's (Rory) performance in this turned him from a decent secondary character into a real joy to watch - especially the sword-fight scene. Not an amazing episode but fun.

'Amy's Choice' I really enjoyed.. although I'd say it may have divided people. Maybe it's that I was looking forward to seeing "Inception" this evening (fantastic by the way) but I found "dream/reality" quandary immensely entertaining. The revelation of the
    elderly aliens
    did sour my enjoyment a tad, but this was a great episode. I thought Karen Gillan was particularly impessive in the final few scenes
    after "losing" Rosy

I didn't find 'The Hungry Earth / Cold Blood' particularly enjoyable.. a lot of it felt quite hammy - the scene with Ambrose being shunned for killing Alaya particularly.
    Rory's "death"
    was quite crushing though, and
    Amy's memory loss of him
    was even more upsetting. Not a particularly great episode but the final couple of minutes made it much more enjoyable!

The Richard Curtis scripted 'Vincent and the Doctor' was an absolutely superb episode. Have always liked Tony Curran and he was fantastic here.. and the excellent Bill Nighy too. Fun, surreal and I particularly enjoyed the ending - very poignant!

'The Lodger' is an episode I should have liked. I'm one of the few people who actually likes James Corden - yes, he's completely over-exposed right now in the media but he's a damn talented writer and "decent" actor. And yet, outside of the odd bits of comedy.. this episode just dragged and dragged and dragged.

'The Pandorica Opens' was a cracker of an episode. We get the re-introduction of Rory (to an oblivious Amy) and we get an answer as to what The Pandorica is. And that final scene was probably one of the best Who cliffhangers in a long time - you couldn't help but be unsettled at seeing The Doctor screaming while being locked in that thing.

'The Big Bang' started off slower than I'd have hoped but quickly picked up pace and moved along quite nicely. The Doctor's sacrifice was quite moving and although Amy remembering it all was obvious, it was very nicely done.

Well.. there we go. I'm officially converted to all things 'Who'. Matt Smith has been growing ever more impressive by the episode, and I'm looking forward to at least another year or two with him as The Doctor.

See ye back here in 5 months for the Christmas Special.

Oh.. and Fez's are cool! :cool:

fezcool.gif

Advertisement