Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Basic wireless equipment

• 15-05-2010 8:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

My parents have UPC broadband wired into their PC. I'd like to be able to use my laptop wirelessly in their house when I visit. Can anyone point me in the right direction of a basic of basics router that will have short broadcast range, basic but decent security and will work easily with the UPC router? I'm after the cheapest option because it'll only be used when I visit. Thanks a lot!

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Trotter wrote: »
    My parents have UPC broadband wired into their PC. I'd like to be able to use my laptop wirelessly in their house when I visit. Can anyone point me in the right direction of a basic of basics router that will have short broadcast range, basic but decent security and will work easily with the UPC router? I'm after the cheapest option because it'll only be used when I visit. Thanks a lot!

what you need is often called a 'cable' wireless router because it does not have a dsl modem built in.

Something like this model should do fine:

http://www.netgear.co.uk/wireless_firewall_router_wgr614.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Thanks for that. I'll hit the shops tomorrow.

Advertisement