Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English poetry question

Options
  • 15-05-2010 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Would it be sufficient to write about just 2 poems (Preludes and J. Alfred Prufrock) for an answer on T.S. Eliot? They are so long that I find myself writing about 6/7 pages on just the two of those. I would be hoping for an a1 in this question.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

Would it be sufficient to write about just 2 poems (Preludes and J. Alfred Prufrock) for an answer on T.S. Eliot? They are so long that I find myself writing about 6/7 pages on just the two of those. I would be hoping for an a1 in this question.

Nope. I hear its 3 minimum.
    Also, you dont need to write about everything in the poem, just the main points (pick the points you have that sound the smartest to impress) Then pick some of his other works, probably one more to write a lot about and then 1/2 as filler

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭MavisDavis

It depends on the question. Perhaps you're going into too much detail with the poems?
    Maybe try to organise things by imagery, themes, language, as opposed to just poem-by-poem.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 s0ur_cherry

Yeah see I usually go poem by poem for poetry questions and discuss about 4 poems. It's yielded good results for me thus far but Eliot's poems are so long that it's hard to follow my normal template. The other poem we've covered (Aunt Helen) is short then so i feel like it might disrupt the flow of the essay? If you get me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭MavisDavis

Yeah see I usually go poem by poem for poetry questions and discuss about 4 poems. It's yielded good results for me thus far but Eliot's poems are so long that it's hard to follow my normal template. The other poem we've covered (Aunt Helen) is short then so i feel like it might disrupt the flow of the essay? If you get me.

I never take that approach, so I can't be certain. Perhaps for Eliot you could try the other structure, just so you get more poems in and don't end up telling the story of the poems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

I'm personally going to do the love song of J.Alfred prufrock, A game of chess and The journey of the magi, 3 should be enough i'd say, preludes aint even that long.

A handy tip is you can find T.S. eliot reciting these poems on youtube, get a youtube converter and put it on your i-pod :D

I think about 60% of prufrock, 70% of the magi and 40% of a game of chess

handy to know them off by heart :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 L.C.Deirdre

I think it's good to deal with Eliot pre-christian conversion and post, makes a neat divide and contrast in the essay. We've always been told steer clear of poem-by-poem answers, but that's only my teacher's opinion! =D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭irish-anabel

Me too, I'm doing the same two poems. An English teacher in our school taught our class this poet specifically, she's been an examiner for years and she said it's absolutely sufficient to do those two poems only. You couldn't possibly give a good analysis of these two poems, esp Prufrock if you had 3 others to do aswell.

Advertisement