Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fishing in Offaly and surronding areas.

Options
  • 15-05-2010 10:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Im just back from fishing the canal in Tullamore, i got a few tench and bream, hard fishing though had to really work at it . I would are the fisherys stocking the canals or are they going to continue and let people take home 4 fish a day, if this continues without stocking there will be notting left shortly.
    I would be interested to hear any fishing storys/experiences around the midlands.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 papers21

Sorry about the spelling typo on the thread, just tired.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

papers21 wrote: »
    Im just back from fishing the canal in Tullamore, i got a few tench and bream, hard fishing though had to really work at it . I would are the fisherys stocking the canals or are they going to continue and let people take home 4 fish a day, if this continues without stocking there will be notting left shortly.
    I would be interested to hear any fishing storys/experiences around the midlands.

Signs are placed along the banks saying you should release fish back into the canal after they are caught. Nobody is supposed to be taking home fish from the canal.

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Signs are placed along the banks saying you should release fish back into the canal after they are caught. Nobody is supposed to be taking home fish from the canal.

Hi DM-ice, yes you are right there are signs along the canal saying you should release fish, but actually they are out dated, i was informed by a friend of mine in the fishing buisness that the law has changed to 4 fish a day for course fish, this law was brought in recently to facilitate other peoples customs , i not messing this is fact. This is a crazy policy , who is going to police this and who is going to re-stock the waters.
    Do you do much fishing yourself.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

I replied a long post to this earlier but the connection broke. Why The F would anyone take anything from the canal??

Dusty87 wrote: »
    I replied a long post to this earlier but the connection broke. Why The F would anyone take anything from the canal??

Some people do and eat them , others just kill them out of ignorance.
    A lot of imigrants from eastern europe eat them, its widely done in their country. The problem is re-stocking the canal unfortunatly its not happening. Its a shame fishing is a great past time and a great hobbie for people young and old. The canal in tullamore used to have great stocks of bream tench rudd roach pike eel hybrids and a few carp,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

papers21 wrote: »
    Some people do and eat them , others just kill them out of ignorance.
    A lot of imigrants from eastern europe eat them, its widely done in their country. The problem is re-stocking the canal unfortunatly its not happening. Its a shame fishing is a great past time and a great hobbie for people young and old. The canal in tullamore used to have great stocks of bream tench rudd roach pike eel hybrids and a few carp,

I know all about the eastern europeans. But I was told as a lad that fish out of the canal wouldnt be great as the water is sitting there and not flowing as such.

Used to know a fella that if he caught a pike, no matter what size he would just kill it and leave it. When i asked why he said because they kill all the other fish. He was Irish too.

Advertisement