Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best street names

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Where about is that in Howth?

Around the back of the hill on Carrickbrack Road. It's not on Google here, so I guess it may just be a local thing.

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=53.368159,-6.061106&spn=0.007439,0.022638&z=16

On further googling, according to this site here, it used to be Sutton village...

http://www.howthismagic.com/links/aboutsutton.html
    At the centre of Sutton (Sutton Cross) is an isthmus connecting Howth (which used to be an island) to the mainland. The original village of Sutton was situated on the city-facing (south-western) side of Howth Head (present day Somali village) but the area is now centred on Sutton Cross where there are plenty of shops on one side with the Marine Hotel on the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

WindSock wrote: »
    Around the back of the hill on Carrickbrack Road. It's not on Google here, so I guess it may just be a local thing.

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=53.368159,-6.061106&spn=0.007439,0.022638&z=16

On further googling, according to this site here, it used to be Sutton village...

re
    Have always been fascinated about Howth. You look at the map and there is just a small little stretch of land seperating it from the mainland.
    Anyone know how Howth came to be a peninsula having become an Island.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

re
    Have always been fascinated about Howth. You look at the map and there is just a small little stretch of land seperating it from the mainland.
    Anyone know how Howth came to be a peninsula having become an Island.

In no way am I an expert here but from my vague recollection of leaving cert geography I'm presuming the tides may have been affected by the formation of the island causing silt and sand to be deposited to eventually form the land bridge connecting howth to the mainland.

Something similar happened when the north wall was built. This caused the tides to deposit sediment north of the wall and bull island was formed

A tombolo! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

That's the one :D

• Advertisement

Continuing the theme of county names, there is a Shannon Terrace in Inchicore. Know its not a county but still.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Somali village is a bit to the west of that Google map on Carrickbrack Road between Shielmartin Road and Ceanchor Road facing Red Rock and Clearwater(old Bellingham estate). The name comes from the Great Exhibtion of Dublin in 1907 where one of the exhibits were some traditioonal Somalian huts built on stilts. The builders took some inspiration from this and used stilts, kind of like piles, for the foundations of those houses.

Ceanchor Road was itself also a village on times past with its own post office. It's now full of mansions.

Similar to Somalia, Balkill Park and some of Grace O'Malley are sometimes known as Vietnam and Korea respectively, as they were built during those wars.

http://www.chaptersofdublin.com/books/jimkilroy/neverforgotten.htm

Also, the Boer War influenced the names of some of the stops on the Howth Tram, notably Spion Kop and Krugers Cutting. My local is called Krugers in reference to this.

There's lots more articles if you've a few hours on Chapters of Dublin. Ball5 and jimkilroy mainly deal with Howth but there are a few more in there - nevermind the ones on the rest of Dublin.

Not a lot of people know that. It's where the checkpoint should be;)

Here is an interesting name. Vernon Avenue in Clontarf. Named after John Vernon who was the quartermaster general of Cromwell's army in Ireland.
    Two miles up the road you have Collins avenue and then Griffith Avenue so the way the street names are laid out are interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭richardjjd

Robus wrote: »
    Very good but I can think of one more:p Its a street in Dublin named after a county in Ireland. Bonus point for whoever gets it.

There's another one which hasn't been mentioned yet ...
    Fingal Street, off Cork Street

richardjjd wrote: »
    There's another one which hasn't been mentioned yet ...
    Fingal Street, off Cork Street
    Is that officially a county?

• Advertisement

Is that officially a county?

Well their official title on their website is "X county council" so I'm presuming it is ...

Well their official title on their website is "X county council" so I'm presuming it is ...
    Fingal takes in areas like Lusk, Rush, Balbriggan, Donabate, Skerries, Swords, the Naul. etc. To all intents and purposes it is outside of Dublin but officially its not a county.

Fingal takes in areas like Lusk, Rush, Balbriggan, Donabate, Skerries, Swords, the Naul. etc. To all intents and purposes it is outside of Dublin but officially its not a county.

Whatever about it being outside of Dublin, its definitely a county. See schedule 5 (p195) here.

Whatever about it being outside of Dublin, its definitely a county. See schedule 5 (p195) here.
    Yes I see Dun Laoghaire Rathdown listed there too. To all intents and purposes Fingal is a seperate county but it is still part of Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭simonw

Paradise lane off mountjoy square is my favourite street name, because of the massive amount of irony involved

simonw wrote: »
    Paradise lane off mountjoy square is my favourite street name, because of the massive amount of irony involved
    expand?

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭The Minstrel

Frenchman's Lane (off Gardiner St) - many a beret-wearing Frenchman have I seen walking through here towards Busaras

Should Sinn Fein etc be calling for a 35 county sovereign republic rather than 32?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

36 if you include Tipperary's North and South Ridings.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

expand?

Paradise street?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

Bambi wrote: »
    Paradise street?

Isn't that the main street in Paradise City, the place where the grass is green and the girls are pretty ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

expand?

Because that area was part of the fringes of Monto

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Lazer Lane is a pretty cool name. Not sure where the origins of it come from but its near Grand Canal Theatre

simonw wrote: »

Are you sure it's off Mountjoy Sq? Google maps shows this as off Drury St on the southside.

Thundercat Alley in Smithfield.

Yeah, I know it's cut not cat, but it should be cat :)

Are you sure it's off Mountjoy Sq? Google maps shows this as off Drury St on the southside.
    which would the remove a bit of the Irony i would think ;)

Would be curious to know how it started out. Maybe it was a nice place to begin with

Would be curious to know how it started out. Maybe it was a nice place to begin with

I wonder about that myself, there's nothing on it at all, I hope it was just someone with a sense of humour got to name it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Passed this one the other day and have to say brought a smile to my face.
    Tranquility Grove in Coolock.
    Any other good sounding street names anyone has seen.

lad lane in Dublin city centre

Advertisement