Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap Dog Grooming???

• 15-05-2010 10:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭

Hi folks...
    #
    looking for a cheap

{but good!!}

dog groomer in Dublin-preferably the northside,was up in Petmania and for a 9 mth old Papillon x i was quoted €50 !!!:eek:

got a groom back in December an it was €30....buy all our pet stuff there(try and shop locally and all that:rolleyes:)

explained this to the girl and she said prices had gone up...

now i don't mind paying for good service but 50e is a bit steep ..no??

anyone on boards a groomer and live on the Northside?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

That is expensive esp. for a small dog unless there's lots of work needed on the hair but even at that 40 max for hair that needs a lot of work.

You could just get a brush out. I've started to do that with one of my dogs, she's got longish hair and even with regular brushing it does end up a mess every few months so I brought her to the groomers for a brush out, they also used a dry dog shampoo on her. It was €15.00 then I washed her myself.

I'm lazy with our Phalene he gets brushed but when he gets those annoying little knots I just cut them out too sore to try and brush some of them.
    We don't show him or anything so no biggy cutting off the odd knot.

Am thinking of investing in the Furminator though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

You could try to find out where there are dog grooming courses going on in Dublin and see if they need models. I did a grooming course and we were always looking for dogs and charged €5-10 for a full clip/trim, brush, wash, dematting, everything, but that's in Cork. I'm sure there are some in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Michael B

My girlfriend is a lecturer in Killester College and they have people coming in to get their dogs groomed for cheap in there. The students do it but they're fully supervised if you want to give them a call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭thebullkf

thanks folks.

much appreaciated ;)

idon't mind paying tbh...its jiust the fact the price has risen 50%......when everywhere else peices are dropping.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Michael B

thebullkf wrote: »
    thanks folks.

much appreaciated ;)

idon't mind paying tbh...its jiust the fact the price has risen 50%......when everywhere else peices are dropping.......

Can't say I blame you. Bad form. You're right to look elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭bookerboy

Just left the Texaco garage at Bakers Corner,near Dun Laoghaire.
    They have a machine there that you put your dog sitting on/in.Then you turn on the hose and give him a good wash.
    I diden't have time for a close look but it does seem like a great idea.
    There was a dog in it and another one waiting to get in.
    Anyone here try one of these?

have seen them before.
    never used it tbh.
    didn't fancy putting a soaking wet dog back in the car....even in a towel.

see any dog groomers???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

you should try mutt uglies in ranelagh i used to get my king charles groomed there every four to six months they are a bit pricey 60euro but well worth it and she loved it unfortunately she passed away last may and my heart is still broken but i highly recommend mutt uglies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

bookerboy wrote: »
    Just left the Texaco garage at Bakers Corner,near Dun Laoghaire.
    They have a machine there that you put your dog sitting on/in.Then you turn on the hose and give him a good wash.
    I diden't have time for a close look but it does seem like a great idea.
    There was a dog in it and another one waiting to get in.
    Anyone here try one of these?
    sounds like a mini car wash
    only this one has hair flying

i do the grooming thing myself, costs just the price of tools, tools you will have to use over and over again, and the bath. one of those microfibre towels as they are so absorbent great fun, dog wet, me wet, but every 3 months we go through this regeime, doing this with the 15 yr old all her life, and she is doing fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

It probably would be cheaper to either do it yourself or go to one of those training colleges as mentioned.
    My Lhasas are €54 to get done out in Balbriggan, but they do a pretty good job (i.e. cut to their breed), compared to getting them done for €50 up near Mount Venus and they just got shaved essentially. It's expensive but if we can afford it we do it because it's hard to keep on top of their coats.

A lady in the vets had asked where I got mine done because her Westie was costing her €80 each time in some place in Templeogue. Tis mad prices really for small dogs.

• Advertisement

cheers for the many replies/advice.:)

tis indeed crazy money......thinking of stsrting up me own "grooming"
    business.....i've a neighbour who sends her two off every so oftento be
    given haircuts....christ they're butchered--number 1blade...all over:eek:

dunno where to go tbh....:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I'd say to try Doggy Doos in Balbriggan, but they're probably around the same price for your dog as it is for mine. You could ring and ask anyway just to see.

You can do a grooming course yourself, and if you got the tools I'm sure in the long run it'd be cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Unless your dog has a difficult coat or if a dog is being shown etc. you don't need any tools as such, just a hair brush..even a human one or one of those cheap two sided combs. Aldi were doing a grooming set for half nothing they'll probably come around again. A decent shampoo is about the only thing you may need to spend money on.

At this time of year I dry mine off as well as possible and pop them in a crate and turn the hairdryer on but the best and quickest way to dry them is to wash them on a sunny breezy day and let them run around the garden like nutters they roll in the grass and the wind helps dry them. Obviously once they stop runnin about make sure they aren't cold and smaller dogs need to be kept warm.

Our Phalene is let run around like this he doesn't shiver once he's ran around and dried off a bit he comes back in and snuggles up on someones knee in a towel. It just helps with the drying process.

For some reason all our pooches go mad to go outside straight after a wash and have a good run about.

she's losing her puppy coat, and gaining her summer coat @ the same time....tbh i think i'll just get her shaven to a 'tennis ball'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

thinking of stsrting up me own "grooming"
    business....christ they're butchered--number 1blade...all over:eek:

dunno where to go tbh....:(

It's not as easy as that to start up, my sister is doing it at the moment. Unless you want to do a short course for use on your own dogs you'd have to commit more than just a few days/weeks depending on the course. My sister has been training for 2 yrs now.

The butchering is a sign of someone who did one of these short courses available out there and then call themselves a groomer, most of them don't even know the correct cut to match the breed. :-/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Jemmy wrote: »
    It's not as easy as that to start up, my sister is doing it at the moment. Unless you want to do a short course for use on your own dogs you'd have to commit more than just a few days/weeks depending on the course. My sister has been training for 2 yrs now.

The butchering is a sign of someone who did one of these short courses available out there and then call themselves a groomer, most of them don't even know the correct cut to match the breed. :-/
    a short back and sides

Jemmy wrote: »
    It's not as easy as that to start up, my sister is doing it at the moment. The butchering is a sign of someone who did one of these short courses available out there and then call themselves a groomer, most of them don't even know the correct cut to match the breed. :-/

twas only joking :)

on a serious note..i'm all for people getting practice--but chargin full prices???

in fairness to the girl in petmania its the same one who's been there ages.....plenty of practice ;)

heard about one in finglas acrosss from martins pub or something??

anyone hear/use it??

[HTML][/HTML]
    goat2 wrote: »
    a short back and sides

crew(L) cut :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭Eemia

morganafay wrote: »
    You could try to find out where there are dog grooming courses going on in Dublin and see if they need models. I did a grooming course and we were always looking for dogs and charged €5-10 for a full clip/trim, brush, wash, dematting, everything, but that's in Cork. I'm sure there are some in Dublin.

I also did that course and we were always looking for dogs to groom etc. Would be worth the shot asking alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭sellerbarry

There's a place in Finglas village beside bottom of hill pub. Waggles, i think it's called. Left my 4 month old shih tzu in there. Got here face/bum/in between paws clipped. Nails clipped, coat brushed etc. All for 15 euro? Can't beat that. And she smelt beautiful when finished.;)

BTW, The owner told me that for a full grown shih tzu , she charges 30 euro for the Works! i.e wash/cut everything.

Now, i'm only new to dog owning, but it seems cheap to me.

• Advertisement

twas only joking :)

on a serious note..i'm all for people getting practice--but chargin full prices???

in fairness to the girl in petmania its the same one who's been there ages.....plenty of practice ;)

heard about one in finglas acrosss from martins pub or something??

anyone hear/use it??

The groomer across from Martins pub was asking 40 euro for the full works on my shih tzu. Looks a clean professional place.;)

lovely pics...:D

sent you a pm about the place you used?

EDIT:its ok thanks...

sorted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Try "all dogs great and small" in Raheny.Boarding and grooming.Check them out on Facebook, I believe there's a contact there. Not sure about prices, but it's worth a look, I know people who are very happy with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭texas star

I get my shizu cross Molly done in Ballygall road West think its called the poodle parlour or something like that and she charges 35euro and she really nice,good.But you have to make an appointment.If your interested I could probaly walk by the house and get the number there is a sign outside?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭CreedonsDogDayc

Just a quick point on the prices of grooming. A lot of people have issues with the costs of grooming sessions especially compared to hair dressing costs but there's so much more to it than working with humans, and even though some people find it hard to comprehend the amount of money people spend on dogs, people have to realise how hard the work is, and dog groomers work darn hard for their money!!

Dogs dont stand still while you can ask people to hold their heads at every angle!
    Dogs try to jump out of the bath, humans dont do that at the basin!!
    Humans only want the hair on their heads cut, dogs all over :p !
    Humans dont regularly need to be examined for ticks and fleas:D
    A lot of dogs need intense dematting which is pretty hard work

And so on, take a moment to appreciate your dog groomer, its harder than it looks;)!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Ms Happy

Wouldn't mind if it cost me €50 to get each of my dogs groomed, the vet i bring them to is €70 per dog!!!!!

they aren't huge, 2 collie x It's gonna cost me €140 on Thursday to get the 2 of them done!!!!

texas star wrote: »
    I get my shizu cross Molly done in Ballygall road West think its called the poodle parlour or something like that and she charges 35euro and she really nice,good.But you have to make an appointment.If your interested I could probaly walk by the house and get the number there is a sign outside?:)

thanks i'll google it ;)

fair play to you though;)

Just a quick point on the prices of grooming. A lot of people have issues with the costs of grooming sessions especially compared to hair dressing costs but there's so much more to it than working with humans, and even though some people find it hard to comprehend the amount of money people spend on dogs, people have to realise how hard the work is, and dog groomers work darn hard for their money!!

Dogs dont stand still while you can ask people to hold their heads at every angle!
    Dogs try to jump out of the bath, humans dont do that at the basin!!
    Humans only want the hair on their heads cut, dogs all over :p !
    Humans dont regularly need to be examined for ticks and fleas:D
    A lot of dogs need intense dematting which is pretty hard work

And so on, take a moment to appreciate your dog groomer, its harder than it looks;)!!!

+1:D

• Advertisement

Ms Happy wrote: »
    Wouldn't mind if it cost me €50 to get each of my dogs groomed, the vet i bring them to is €70 per dog!!!!!

they aren't huge, 2 collie x It's gonna cost me €140 on Thursday to get the 2 of them done!!!!

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

bit steep......

Advertisement