Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap Dog Grooming???

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭CreedonsDogDayc

thebullkf wrote: »
    +1:D

and dont get me started on the anal glands :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭thebullkf

:pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

Dogs dont stand still while you can ask people to hold their heads at every angle!
    Dogs try to jump out of the bath, humans dont do that at the basin!!
    Humans only want the hair on their heads cut, dogs all over :p !
    Humans dont regularly need to be examined for ticks and fleas:D
    A lot of dogs need intense dematting which is pretty hard work

And so on, take a moment to appreciate your dog groomer, its harder than it looks;)!!!

And no matter how lovely your dog is, it can turn into a monster when somebody is grooming it! Groomers deserve the money because they risk being bitten several times a day!

And it's actually pretty physical work. If it takes 2 hours to groom the dog, then I think €50 is reasonable (for dematting, clipping, everything). I wouldn't charge that much though unless I was really good and experienced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

You're a groomer right? Maybe you can answer this for me. My friend's dog gets his anal glands done every time he's groomed, but he has no need for it, he's only a young dog and all. They do it for every dog every time they're groomed, is that normal? I thought it should only be done if needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

thebullkf wrote: »
    Hi folks...
    #
    looking for a cheap

{but good!!}

dog groomer in Dublin-preferably the northside,was up in Petmania and for a 9 mth old Papillon x i was quoted €50 !!!:eek:

got a groom back in December an it was €30....buy all our pet stuff there(try and shop locally and all that:rolleyes:)

explained this to the girl and she said prices had gone up...

now i don't mind paying for good service but 50e is a bit steep ..no??

anyone on boards a groomer and live on the Northside?

Have you considered grooming your dog yourself??
    I know its sounds crazy... but I started groomming my cocker last year... he's now 5... beacuse we were getting him done every 8 weeks at €60 a pop...was costing us around €360 per year.... not saying the groomer doesnt work hard from their money (i know with our guy they deserved EVERY penny) and if we didnt get him clipped, his hair grows like wildfire... he ends up looking like Bob Marley :D plus he swimms alot etc... so long hair would be a nightmare to keep....

I bought a really good clipping set for €60 in Argos... and its brillant... first few times i clipped him it took me hours... but now he gets a bath... blowdry and a clip in about 2 hours (which is pretty go going as he's not the most accomadating cocker when it comes to grooming!)

Its worth a try... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭MaeveD

I had my much missed dog groomed by Clare and Aoibheann Fitzsimons for 18 years and would have no hesitation recommending them.... Clare has retired, but Aoibheann has recently opened up on her own in Clonee, I've no idea of prices, but here are her contact details:

Aoibheann Fitzsimons Dog Grooming

O86 734O4O9
    afitzgroom(at)dublin.ie

well-thought i'd give you an update.

Firstly many thanks for the replies/tips/advice its much appreciated;)

secondly,

dropped over to the lady opposite Martin's pub-lovely lady but she's unavailable for the next few weeks.
    pooches palace its called and looks very professional and dog friendly.

next i dropped into Waggles in Finglas village there-lovely girl in the shop.

have my little one booked in foir thursday so i'll let you know how it goes.

cocker5 wrote: »
    Have you considered grooming your dog yourself??
    I know its sounds crazy... but I started groomming my cocker last year... he's now 5... beacuse we were getting him done every 8 weeks at €60 a pop...was costing us around €360 per year.... not saying the groomer doesnt work hard from their money (i know with our guy they deserved EVERY penny) and if we didnt get him clipped, his hair grows like wildfire... he ends up looking like Bob Marley :D plus he swimms alot etc... so long hair would be a nightmare to keep....

I bought a really good clipping set for €60 in Argos... and its brillant... first few times i clipped him it took me hours... but now he gets a bath... blowdry and a clip in about 2 hours (which is pretty go going as he's not the most accomadating cocker when it comes to grooming!)

Its worth a try... :D

i have actually....
    but...

haven't really followed it through-ours is a a small terrier x....doesn't need it done that often.
    once i keep grooming properly it should be no bother.
    *famous last words*

..ok.

gotta say WAGGLES in Finglas village is the biz..

tiny shop{-and the smell of dog was rank--to be expected i s'pose}

but

very impressed with the girl.

christina.

fantastic grooming skills--

very impressed.

very reasonable price as well.

--will post pics asap.

dog was fine,and smelled lovely:D

delira an excira

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 johnny_g

Jemmy wrote: »
    It's not as easy as that to start up, my sister is doing it at the moment. Unless you want to do a short course for use on your own dogs you'd have to commit more than just a few days/weeks depending on the course. My sister has been training for 2 yrs now.

The butchering is a sign of someone who did one of these short courses available out there and then call themselves a groomer, most of them don't even know the correct cut to match the breed. :-/

Agree 100% on this, there are loads of newly 'qualified groomers' out there with very little experience doing jobs cheaply but making a mess out of the dogs. If your on the northside, and looking for a good cheap rate you should check out Michael's dog grooming in Donaghmede . He's been doing it for years and is very good value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭bewhiched

Hi guys just wanted to ask if you know of anywhere dublin or drogheda that will clip my dogs nails i wont do it myself just in case thanks very much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I took the grooming course at St John's and now I do my Shih Tzu myself. Although it was only E30 to get him clipped, the dog's an absolute fur ball who needs to be clipped every six weeks! I'm not a practical or creative person by nature, and the course really took me out of my comfort zone! But I'm really proud of the fact I did the course, passed with flying colours, and I'm confident in doing the dog myself. People have made loads of kind comments about the way he's kept. Cost a bit for the tools, clippers, blades and accessories, but reckon I've more than made back my money! :D

He's brushed every day. I also pluck his ears and trim his tail every so often. I have to do that to keep the knots under control.

OP - go for the course! It's SO worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭bewhiched

ah that's great fair play pity your so far away ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭golden8

Zombie thread OP posts in 2010!!!

Advertisement