Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sharing internet connection with Wireless Access Point

Options
  • 15-05-2010 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,547 ✭✭✭✭

My brother will be moving into his new house soon across the road from me (100-200 meters). We plan to share my existing wireless internet connection.

I currently use a Netgear RangeMax Wireless Router (WPN824v2) located in the attic which gives v. good coverage through the house. My brother can receive 1 bar strength at the front door of his new house with no signal inside.

Having done a little research we assume we will require a Wireless Access Point or Points.

My question is will one WAP in my brothers house work with the router in my house or would I require/also require a WAP connected to my router or some other setup? Any suggestions gratefully received.

Netgear do a range of access points with the following features
    Advanced Wireless Features

Point-to-point wireless bridge mode
    Point-to-multipoint wireless bridge mode
    Repeater mode
    Adjustable Transmit Power Control (TPC) from 100 mW down to 0 mW
    IntelliFi RF management functionality including auto power transmission, channel selection

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

100-200m is too far for an ordinary wifi router, especially from inside Your attic. To best do this You would need two of these to make a point to point link (needs to be mounted outside with line of sight) and then cable it into Your house to Your router and his house to an access point. You'll need to be careful of the channels, router, p2p link and access point would need to be all on different radio channels so they don't clash, pick 1, 6, and 11

• Registered Users Posts: 15,547 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Thanks for that, nice compact unit.

I have setup routers without problems in the past, is setting up this unit as intuitive.

Since I first posted, now that I know what I'm looking for, I've been searching the previous Loco2 posts.

I plan to order soon but in the meantime a question or three

I understand the following - SSIDs must be the same for the two Loco2 units, different channels for the router, Loco2 units and other house AP, slightly different IP addresses for the two Loco2 units.

i. I assume the network mode will be "bridge" for the Loco2 units?
    ii. What will the wireless mode be? various options have been given in prevous posts - station, station WDS, access point, access point WDS, Client/ station
    iii. As the access point in the other house will be wired directly to the Loco2 unit what wireless mode will it use "Access Point" or "WDS repeater"?
    iv. Can all units use the same SSID?

As someone posted previously the units have a factory reset should it all go tits up.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Give it a different ssid to the wifi network in Your house, You only need to set this on the first loco2, the one in access point mode, the other goes in station mode and recieves (therefore scans and picks up the ssid and channel). Leave them both as bridges, the first will have the ip 192.168.1.20, change the other ones ip to 192.168.1.21 so You can connect to both while they're linked. You can click to not broadcast ssid on the access point once they're linked.

You can give the access point in Your brothers house any ssid, give it the same as Yours if You like and the laptops will roam, the router in Your house handles dhcp and the route out which is why I'd use an access point

Finally got my Nanostation2 Loco units but have hit a snag already.

Step 2 of the installation procedure states "Configure host system for static IP on the 192.168.1.x subnet".

My netgear router (824v2) will be my host but when I try to set a fixed IP in the 192.168.1.x range the router returns an error that the IP must be in the range 10.0.0.2 to 10.0.0.254. I have attempted to to set it up in the 10. range but cannot access the units configuration page (192.168.1.20).

The routers Lan IP is 10.0.0.1, I have changed it to the 192.168.1.x range but it automatically returns to 10.0.0.1. Having done some research on the problem netgear routers appear to automatically default to the 10.0.0.1 range if there is a possibility of a conflict. In my case the conflict appears to be my wireless Munster Broadband connection. (My brother had a similar conflict between his new Munster Broadband connection and his Linksys router - IP conflict and was easily resolved by changing the routers IP address)

In my case setting the router's IP address anywhere in the 192.168.1 range results in it reverting back to 10.0.0.1.

How can I resolve this problem, possibily a new non-netgear router?

BTW I can access the Nanostation's setup page (192.168.1.20) if I connect it directly to a computer and set it up with a static IP e.g. 192.168.1.100

• Advertisement
Advertisement