Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Quality of life"?

Options
  • 16-05-2010 8:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭

Please, how do we decide when this has deteriorated too far?

We are facing now the choice re the collie here...

Nothing physically wrong; but the thunder/gun terror is leaving her no peace.

We have totally failed to find the source and location of the crowbanger; random times eg 1,2 3 am..

A friend went out in his car with a noise detector, bless him; he can hear it but because it is bouncing off the mountains, he cannot find it.

Radio appeals have not given any insight.

Collie has no peace now; for five years she was locked alone in a windowless shed. from early puppyhood; an unwanted gift. When the man died they rented the house out. When we took it, we found collie tied up to a 56 lb weight 24/7..

So we asked and we cared for her.... three years ago now.

We can cope with her thunder terror as that is occasional. Inbetween she is great, happy, healthy.. A joy and a delight.. and all we sought was a few peaceful years for her at the end of a hard life that is not her fault.

I feel a total and utter failure now.Heartbroken

She is a beloved dog.

We are being advised that she needs an end to all this; she is so sensitised after four weeks of this gunfire that she is wired and stressed the whole while now.

Our whole lives here are being wrecked by this.

Local vets have refused help; behavioural problems not their job they say.... or that i am a fussy owner and the problem is mine not the dog's ( that was a man)

he should hear and see collie these nights...Utter terror.

We have tried everything non drug and even at the phone advice of one vet, give her piriton to no avail.

Sleep is hard to come by of course. Punch drunk for lack of it

This decision needs to be made this week.

Basicaly, she needs eg valium which has had success in the US with these dogs.

But the only thing any vet here will give is that Kalmaid stuff, which is like a small sticking plaster on a gaping wound.

Just do not know where to turn now.

Blessings and peace

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

I'm so sorry you have to make this decision. It's so sad because if not for that she could have a happy life, but she can't continue like that I suppose.

I thought you were going to get valium from someone, or did that not work out? Could you possibly try herbal things, rescue remedy, etc? Maybe they wouldn't be good enough for such a nervous dog, but maybe someone here knows more about that? Or maybe there are websites about herbal remedies for nervous dogs. I'll look that up in a minute.

Have you thought about the ear plug things that someone put a link to. I know they're expensive but might work.

The only other thing I can think of, is maybe trying to train her to be less nervous. I don't really know how to go about that, but something to calm her or distract her if she gets scared, without reinforcing her nervousness. I'll do a search about that too.

If nothing works, then maybe you could try to rehome her?

I really hope something works out

And only you will know when it's time, if you really think she has suffered enough. Don't let the vets persuade you because it has to feel like the right time for you. Please don't feel guilty, because you're trying everything you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭joyce2009

how loud is the crow banger???? could you drown out the noise with a radio or tv ??poor dog must be driven distracted..hope you are able to find some peace for him..

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭merengueca

Have you tried behavioural therapy?

My own boy had serious issues when I got him... terrified of men and sticks of any variety.
    He would actually lie on the ground and cry if a man walked past us. Any guy visiting the house had to fight to earn his trust otherwise he'd run under the stairs and cry.

I have to admit I was very sceptical with the behaviour therapy option, BUT, my God, the improvements were instant.

A major part was introducing distraction at times when he was frightened until he learnt to ignore what was scaring him.

Good luck with your girl. Whatever happens at least she experienced love for part of her hard life thanks to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Isn't it a bit early for crowbangers?

Have you tried a tight fitting shirt/jumper?

My old Lurcher was a bundle of nerves every time there was thunder or gunshots etc.

I tried unsuccessful for over two years to calm him. For a finish a friend of mine gave me the tip with a tight fitting garment and as simple at it sounds, it worked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Graces - is she physically healthy? If she is, could you maybe rehome her to somewhere that crow bangers would be less of a problem? Or is it all noises?

Would you consider complementary therapies? I understand that a lot of people think these are a load of messing, but maybe you're more open to it?

Would you think of getting a behaviourist in? I know that can be expensive, but I'm sure something could be sorted out with help.

EDIT: EGAR do you have any idea why the jumper works?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

I read this thread earlier in the day and have been thinking about it ever since. I just cant get that poor dog out of my head. I had to check back here to see if there was any positive news.
    I cannot offer any advice or help - I really wish I could - but perhaps the rehoming idea is a good one? This very special dog needs every chance at happiness, even though I know it would break your heart to have to rehome. You will be in my thoughts and I pray it will all work out well, I truly do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Same principle as swaddling a baby. Tight, warm, secure. Primal instincts kicking in.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭LisaO

EGAR do you have any idea why the jumper works?
    Same principle as swaddling a baby. Tight, warm, secure. Primal instincts kicking in.

Is also used as very effecive therapy for autistic children - weighted clothing, blankets, etc. Promotes a sense of calm & well-being.

Graces 7 - I would have thought Valium would be available for your collie if she needed it. We had a cat (but in UK) who became a nervous wreck for reasons unknown & had what I can only describe as OCD type syndrome. He constantly groomed & licked until he had no hair left and skin was sore and raw. Our vet prescribed Valium & the change in the cat was remarkable. We found it a very effective treatment when all else had failed.

I get the impression that you may be dealing with small vet practices who may have no previous experience of this type of problem. Would it be possible to make contact with a veterinary teaching college/ hospital in a larger, urban area who perhaps would be more versed in this type of treatment?

Yeah I'd definitely try to see another vet to see if they'd prescribe it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Kalahari

Is she only 8? She has years and years ahead of her, so I would rehome if it is such a problem, to somewhere quieter where she can enjoy the rest of her life peacefully.
    How often are the crowbangers happening? Do you keep her inside or out at night? Valium wouldn't be ideal for long term use but if it just happens a couple months of the year then it might be helpful.

My collie is terrified of loud noises so at halloween we set up a table against the wall, (indoors) and lay a big thick blanket overhanging it completely with his basket underneath. He gets underneath and feels safe and is calm then whenever bangers go off. Maybe it would help your dog too. He had a similar start to life, was locked up and beaten as a pup so now he doesn't like to be closed into a room, so a blanket 'cave' he can go in and out of is ideal.

What exactly does she do when she hears the noise? Like does she bark, cower, scratch doors frantically?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Summing up; and many thanks for all the caring....

The crowbanger finally stopped; it was on most of the NIGHT; we think someone scaring foxes etc?

And for this dog, nothing works. She was too abused for too long, simply.

One vet suggested piriton; has no effect.

Too damaged. it happens with some rescues.

After the crowbanger, a jackhammer started.....

Any loud noise will do this to her now.

It is like I am with nettle stings; the effects get worse and last longer every time I am stung,

She is wonderful with us; but scared of everyone else and as we are isolated here, and with a field for her exercise etc, that is fine.

In desperation one night we tried... a few mls of brandy and amazingly it calmed her almost instantly. We changed to whiskey ( we are not drinkers but make liqueur jams to sell to fundraise) and it calms her. Just a few mls.

We know re side effects; but it works and all meds have side effects.

NB the vet who gave us the ACP ( EGAR; thank you for your posts on that drug!) is a large one.... I mean the practice is large!

She gets totally hysterical; will break a door down trying to get to me. All we have been able to do is make sure she cannot hurt or kill herself. Ask google for collies thunder; she is at the top end of that scale. She is in danger of a heart attack.

Since the crowbanger; she has started barking non stop for no reason; we think that this is what she did all night for the five years she was locked up alone in a dark shed 15/24... So now she has regressed. Just a rhythmic barking like a crying baby.

All the old separation anxiety is back too.

And we are watching now and taking each day; we have worked in rescue and breeding for decades and once we did have to get a collie put down fo this reason. It is genetic of course; wired in.

Rehoming would be a non option; she has learned to trust now. And as for her age; these thunderphobic dogs so abused tend not to have a long life span.

And there is no such place as quiet for these dogs.
    They have such keen hearing.

Many collies go deaf early; that would for her be a blessing indeed.

At least now we have something that calms her fast. And it is not needed every day by any means.

She is such an affectionate and gentle girl to have been treated like that.
    We walk the dogs round the wee field here and she will come and put her chin on a lap to be loved and cuddled, then dance for the sheer joy of being loved.

Makes the blood boil.

Again, blessings and thanks; so many caring people.

am limited computer wise just now.

LisaO wrote: »
    Is also used as very effecive therapy for autistic children - weighted clothing, blankets, etc. Promotes a sense of calm & well-being.

Graces 7 - I would have thought Valium would be available for your collie if she needed it. We had a cat (but in UK) who became a nervous wreck for reasons unknown & had what I can only describe as OCD type syndrome. He constantly groomed & licked until he had no hair left and skin was sore and raw. Our vet prescribed Valium & the change in the cat was remarkable. We found it a very effective treatment when all else had failed.

I get the impression that you may be dealing with small vet practices who may have no previous experience of this type of problem. Would it be possible to make contact with a veterinary teaching college/ hospital in a larger, urban area who perhaps would be more versed in this type of treatment?

Thanks for this; we cannot get this dog in a car, and she would be unpredictable in that situation.

And no vet rightly will prescribe without seeing the dog; they will not visit locally for a bahvioural issue.. oh, one did come once, with a lethal injection literally in her hand.... Her idea of help'; and she would not prescibe anything to help either.

We have tried every vet within reach and all we got was ACP.

For now, it is a wee drop of the hard stuff;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Brandy is the base ingredient of Bachs Flowers rescue remedy... It's the alcohol preservative used to keep the flower essence good. It's a subject of argument whether it's the brandy or the flower essence that's doing the work, but for some people and some animals, Rescue Remedy really does work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

Your story is so deeply touching and I long to help your poor girl to be relaxed. I cannot bear to think of her being locked up like that - it make me sick to the stomach. If the brandy/whiskey is working then I say why not continue to use it? If it gives her peace its a small price to pay.
    Just had a thought when you mentioned her hearing. Would it be crazy to ask a vet if something could be done to reduce her hearing for the benefit of her happiness? It's just a thought.
    Well done to you for the care you are showing and the obvious understanding that you have. I wish there were more people like you out there - fully in tune with their pets and caring enough to try whatever it takes to make them happy. God bless you.:)

Shazanne wrote: »
    Your story is so deeply touching and I long to help your poor girl to be relaxed. I cannot bear to think of her being locked up like that - it make me sick to the stomach. If the brandy/whiskey is working then I say why not continue to use it? If it gives her peace its a small price to pay.
    Just had a thought when you mentioned her hearing. Would it be crazy to ask a vet if something could be done to reduce her hearing for the benefit of her happiness? It's just a thought.
    Well done to you for the care you are showing and the obvious understanding that you have. I wish there were more people like you out there - fully in tune with their pets and caring enough to try whatever it takes to make them happy. God bless you.:)

Blessings and thanks for these kind words. yes we did ponder re deafness, but finding a sympathetic vet?

I am blessed with family who know more re dogs than any vet so am given the best advice there is about this girl.

This is only my second dog and was not " planned" so it has been harder at times. Her deep affection humbles.

That dread, dark look had gone from her eyes and now is back; we will banish it again.

It was interesting; we met a couple from the UK in Town with a young collie, recently rescued from abuse. He had that same look in his eyes; and one ear down almost all the time; a stress reaction that will pass with their care. Our collie has one ear permanently at half mast for the same reason.

A lovely young animal; in safe hands now and full of life and affection.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

We had a cocker spaniel who was extremely sensitive to noise and became anxious and exhausted after night on night of barking and crying. After taking her to our vet, who was very sympathetic, he advised us to use D.A.P. plugins,similar to those Glade air fresheners, but releases hormones into the air that mimic. It had an almost instant affect on her, she stopped the night time barking, became much calmer and was no longer snappy and aggressive towards the other dog. AFAIK its only available from the vets, theres some info here http://www.caravetgroup.com/DAP_Plugin_Dog_Appeasing_Pheromone/Default.1146.html that you may find helpful. You can also get the product in a collar version, or spray mist. Although it seems pretty expensive it really worked for us, and it lasted a fairly long time as we unplugged it on days she was calm, and only used it when she showed signs of being stressed again.
    Otherwise, Bach's rescue remedy is great, and i found that at times when a member of the family could not be around, that a hot water bottle in her basket helped sooth her., and plenty of interaction with the family.

Advertisement