Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using pencil in Exams (especially Accounting)?

Options
  • 16-05-2010 8:45am
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi there,

I know that using pencil in exams is generally considered a no-no unless drawing graphs or diagrams, but I'm wondering what the situation is for accounting.

For those of you familiar with accounting, there is usually only a small space available to write a number, but if you get the number wrong and have to correct it, it looks messy to cross it out and make the correction in pen. Also, one mistake tends to make a lot of other figures down the way incorrect also, so these have to be corrected. This leads to the whole account looking quite messy, and marks can be deducted for lack of neatness. Obviously, you can't use TipEx in an exam (as all the transporting of the papers etc. makes the TipEx come off).

Is it acceptable to do Accounting in pencil? My teachers says yes, as long as it is a good pencil (e.g. 2B) but I have two friends that go to different schools, and their teachers both say 'No, use the TipEx Mouse-tape if you make a mistake'.

Is it ok to use pencil? I don't want all my figures to be smudged when they are being corrected!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

go for the mouse tape, its what i did, pencil marks can fade and smudge too easy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Hi there,

I know that using pencil in exams is generally considered a no-no unless drawing graphs or diagrams, but I'm wondering what the situation is for accounting.

For those of you familiar with accounting, there is usually only a small space available to write a number, but if you get the number wrong and have to correct it, it looks messy to cross it out and make the correction in pen. Also, one mistake tends to make a lot of other figures down the way incorrect also, so these have to be corrected. This leads to the whole account looking quite messy, and marks can be deducted for lack of neatness. Obviously, you can't use TipEx in an exam (as all the transporting of the papers etc. makes the TipEx come off).

Is it acceptable to do Accounting in pencil? My teachers says yes, as long as it is a good pencil (e.g. 2B) but I have two friends that go to different schools, and their teachers both say 'No, use the TipEx Mouse-tape if you make a mistake'.

Is it ok to use pencil? I don't want all my figures to be smudged when they are being corrected!

I used tippex pen in mine, but there wasnt too much of it, it doesnt look too bad as long as its not EVERYWHERE.

Some people in my class planned to write out the figures in pencil and then go over them in pen at the end (but we were incredibly stuck for time so i doubt they could do it), others wrote the whole thing in pencil and left it so im sure its ok, I'd just be afraid that it'd fade.

Also in the exam, the paper used is lined differently to the book 2's that you'd buy, I think the spaces for numbers are wider (theres a "cent" column that i just used as part of the euro column) but less space for words.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Thanks for the replies!
    I used tippex pen in mine, but there wasnt too much of it, it doesnt look too bad as long as its not EVERYWHERE.
    I find Tippex ok for homework and things like that, but my main problem is waiting for it to dry. I would often forget to actually replace the word/number.
    Some people in my class planned to write out the figures in pencil and then go over them in pen at the end (but we were incredibly stuck for time so i doubt they could do it),
    I find Accounting hard enough to do in 3 hours, so I think this would work! (Although the logic is good!)
    Also in the exam, the paper used is lined differently to the book 2's that you'd buy, I think the spaces for numbers are wider (theres a "cent" column that i just used as part of the euro column) but less space for words.

We use normal answer books, and rule out the accounts ourself. I could always make the columns wider when I'm ruling it, but for certain topics like Tabular Statements there isn't a whole lot of leeway when drawing up accounts.

Thanks again for the replies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 knockraheen

Hi
    The straight answer is its OK to use pencil .Rumors of its ability to fade are greatly overstated. The examinations commission would prefer if you did not use red or green biro. Many people like to use pencil as they "tidy as they go" just make sure that the pencil is not too feint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

We use normal answer books, and rule out the accounts ourself. I could always make the columns wider when I'm ruling it, but for certain topics like Tabular Statements there isn't a whole lot of leeway when drawing up accounts.

Same as what we did, I would always use a good size margin when i was drawing them in for profit and loss, balance sheets and club accounts, and I still found the official exam ones wider, so you shouldn't have a problem there :) Tabular is always a bit difficult to fit numbers in alright!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭MavisDavis

It's absolutely fine to use pencil. I did both my maths papers in pencil last year and I'm going to do the same this year. Way less hassle!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

Hi
    The straight answer is its OK to use pencil .Rumors of its ability to fade are greatly overstated. The examinations commission would prefer if you did not use red or green biro. Many people like to use pencil as they "tidy as they go" just make sure that the pencil is not too feint.

I'm pretty sure I read on my papers a number of years ago - that ALL sections must be answered in black/blue ball point pen, all calculations must be shown etc etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It's not just about fading and smudging, it's about the possiblity of things being changed.
    Tippex can obliterate correct answers/methods that you might have scored marks for.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

spurious wrote: »
    It's not just about fading and smudging, it's about the possiblity of things being changed.
    Tippex can obliterate correct answers/methods that you might have scored marks for.

Sorry, what do you mean by things being changed? Surely there is no opportunity to change anything once the exam is over. Do you mean the examiner changing something, or the worry that something might be changed when viewing the scripts?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Yes of course there should be no opportunity to change things, but should anyone try it (and often with the best laid plans, there can be hiccups), with a superintendent's back turned or at some other opportunity, biro is much more difficult to erase than pencil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭captainspeckle

why dont you invest in one of those biro thats you can erase aswell... They are kind of pricey and hard to find but I would imagine would be handy for you OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

Well from what I know (and I know I scored marks in Maths because of this ;)) is the best thing is just to strike out whatever mistakes you make and NOT to completely erase them ... (You might think you got something right, when you haven't)

And doesn't it say that only blue or black pen can be used on the answer books? I thought it did.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

Well from what I know (and I know I scored marks in Maths because of this ;)) is the best thing is just to strike out whatever mistakes you make and NOT to completely erase them ... (You might think you got something right, when you haven't)

And doesn't it say that only blue or black pen can be used on the answer books? I thought it did.

That would look extremely messy in your accounts though, as every mistake you make carries down and affects all the calculations following it.
    Most (if not all) people I know did their accounting exam in pencil.

Thanks for the answers, I really appreciate the help people are giving me!

For maths and all other subjects, I use pen. I used to use pencil, but it doesn't look neat and I can't write as fast with pencil. Plus it drives me nuts when pencils become blunt (I think that's the word for when they get less sharp and write all thickly!).

But as mentioned, it isn't really an option in Accounting.

Having said that, I bought mouse tape today and I have to say I find it great. I love being able to correct the mistake straight away (the waiting for Tippex to dry makes me crazy!). However I still have to get used to it... sometimes when I drag it along the page, in order to stick the tape, it doesn't work and I have to angle it differently or press harder.

Thanks again for the answers. I'll ask my teacher tomorrow if it's ok to use pencil.

Also, if I was to use pencil in my exams (not just accounting.. also other exams where you have to draw diagrams/charts) are there any pencils that are better than others. My maths teacher said that 2B pencils are the best but to be honest I find them just the same as HB pencils!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Mouse tape is definitely the way to go, I used it in all my exams in secondary school and college, it's so handy being able to write over it straight away.

Word of advice though - always make sure you have a second one with you in the exam, in case it breaks (as can happen sometimes!) or in case it runs out.

Now, here is where my love of stationery gets a little bit obsessive. :o Not all mouse tapes are created equal ... the Tippex brand ones are grand, but there's another brand "Fix It Strider"; a grey and red one, you see it less often in the shops, but it's cheaper than the Tippex one and lasts way longer and never ever breaks. However, because of its shape, it would be hard to use if you were left-handed (I can't remember if the Tippex one is the same?) Finally, don't use the Pritt brand ones - the tape is too "soft" or something, and they break very easily.

Personally I just don't think that pencil looks great. Also, if you made a mistake in a long question and had to go back and change most of the figures, it would take you much longer to do so with an eraser than with the mouse tape ... and also, with an eraser you can end up rubbing out stuff you didn't mean to and will end up having to write it back down again.

Good luck! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

Just adding to the mouse tape list. Don't ever go for the Supreme Choice ones. They're ****e and last me less than a week. I do use them but only cos I steal them from my mam's office :P

Advertisement