Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Married in Ireland, possible to go to US on holiday and stay?

Options
  • 16-05-2010 9:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

Hi everyone, I was wondering if it's possible for me and my fiance (she is American and in Ireland on holiday) to get married in Ireland and then I go over there on a holiday visa for 3 months, and request to have my status changed so that I can stay. The reason why we want to do it this way is because otherwise I would have to wait for everything to process while still staying in Ireland (heard that it takes between 3-7 months at least in California). Cheers :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

No, doing what you are considering is illegal and may result in a lifetime ban.

If the US citizen is in the USA then yes, a visa (fiancee or spousal) takes 6-8 months on average. But there is another, legal, option: If you get married here, assuming she is can reside in Ireland legally for 6 months, you can apply for a spousal visa via DCF (direct consular filing, ie the embassy does the paperwork rather than an office in the USA). I did this and it took 6 weeks. This also has the advantage of getting you a greencard as soon as you arrive in the USA, ie you can work, get a driving license etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Kurosaki_

silja wrote: »
    No, doing what you are considering is illegal and may result in a lifetime ban.

If the US citizen is in the USA then yes, a visa (fiancee or spousal) takes 6-8 months on average. But there is another, legal, option: If you get married here, assuming she is can reside in Ireland legally for 6 months, you can apply for a spousal visa via DCF (direct consular filing, ie the embassy does the paperwork rather than an office in the USA). I did this and it took 6 weeks. This also has the advantage of getting you a greencard as soon as you arrive in the USA, ie you can work, get a driving license etc.

Oh thank you, what do we need to apply for then and how long will it take before she can live her? I work full time and can support her while she looks for a job (if she is allowed to get one after we get married).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Things may have changed- we did this a couple of years ago-, but when my fiance (now husband) came to Ireland, he was allowed to enter as a tourist, and we got married 30 days later in the registry office in Dublin (there is a 30 day residency requirement). Next day, we went down to the Aliens Office on the quays with our marriage cert, passports and a bill in joint names, and my US husband got the Irish equivalent of agreencard, valid 10 years.

Ring the US embassy (or even better, have the US citizen do it), I am sure they can tell you what is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

There were changes to the law regarding marriage in Ireland in Nov 2007, you both need to give 3 months notice of the marriage together in person to the registry office (previously you could send a form in). I would advise contacting your local registrar and asking exactly what you would need in your situation. More details here.

Advertisement