Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kitchen kit wishlist

• 16-05-2010 10:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭

Reading the debate on stand mixers I thought a thread about kitchen equipment could throw up a few new ideas. So money is no object, what would you have in your kitchen?

Forget Kitchenaid or Kenwood, I want a Thermomix. This thing weighs, grates, mills, purées, grinds, blends, cooks, boils & simmers, steams, crushes, whisks, emulsifies, kneads, chops & minces, heats baby food to 37oC. Like having Gordon Ramsay in the kitchen without the constant profanity.

A couple of other things -

A Molteni Podium stove

A Grant digital waterbath and chamber vacuum food sealer would be useful too.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I want some sort of stand mixer.

I'm not sure I believe in the Thermomix. Sort of like the tooth fairy - yes, I know everyone says it does, but does it really?

And I want 40ml granite worktops. Not in black. Black sucks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

If money was no object, I'd still go for a Kenwood stand mixer over a Kitchenaid. A Thermomix would be great! You can do everything from risottos, to making marzipan, to warm emulsion sauces. The only other kit I'd like is a chocolate tempering machine, a Pacojet, and a steam-injection oven.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

if money was no object i would like a whole new kitchen, with even floors and insulated ceilings and walls, and some drawers. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

I'm not sure I believe in the Thermomix. Sort of like the tooth fairy - yes, I know everyone says it does, but does it really?

Tooth fairy? You still want to believe in the tooth fairy? When was the last time you had a tooth to put under your pillow?

Not everyone says it does, because not everyone has one. In fact anyone who says it does tends to be a chef and if they say it does, then thats enough for me. Maybe Santa will bring me one. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

irishbird wrote: »
    if money was no object i would like a whole new kitchen, with even floors and insulated ceilings and walls, and some drawers. :o

Me too on the new kitchen, even though my kitchen is only 3 years old. Its small and compact and doesn't have enough storage space. The dream is more cupboards and drawers than I can fill and an enormous gleaming stainless steel cooker. And countertop space for every possible contraption. A girl can dream.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

More space, I live in a 2 bed apartment so the kitchen is small. Plus we already got the Kitchen Aid gear as wedding presents!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Me too on the new kitchen, even though my kitchen is only 3 years old. Its small and compact and doesn't have enough storage space. The dream is more cupboards and drawers than I can fill and an enormous gleaming stainless steel cooker. And countertop space for every possible contraption. A girl can dream.

my kitchen is a 20 year old flat roof extension with no installation, so its always freezing.

the floor is uneven so all the tiles have cracked.

the loon i bought the house from built the kitchen himself from random pieces of wood, the work space is only half the size of a normal kitchen i.e. the counter would normally be the same dept as your cooker mine only home to halfway up the cooker!! so plates bearly fit in

and there was no drawers - nowhere to put the cutlery or tea towels

WOO HOO - i win in the worse kitchen ;):p:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

irishbird wrote: »
    my kitchen is a 20 year old flat roof extension with no installation, so its always freezing.

the floor is uneven so all the tiles have cracked.

the loon i bought the house from built the kitchen himself from random pieces of wood, the work space is only half the size of a normal kitchen i.e. the counter would normally be the same dept as your cooker mine only home to halfway up the cooker!! so plates bearly fit in

and there was no drawers - nowhere to put the cutlery or tea towels

WOO HOO - i win in the worse kitchen ;):p:D

Definitely a loon when he didn't even put in drawers :D And yes you win!!:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

I'd love a nice stove/cooker where the back plate doesn't come on when you turn on the grill.

I'd also like a dishwasher, a full size blender and an espresso machine... however my kitchen is too small for any of the above! Oh, and a sink with a draining board on both sides (rather than 1 side)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

i'd like someone to clean up after me, thats about it.
    that thermo thing can bite my balls.

• Advertisement

Minder wrote: »
    Tooth fairy? You still want to believe in the tooth fairy? When was the last time you had a tooth to put under your pillow?

Not everyone says it does, because not everyone has one. In fact anyone who says it does tends to be a chef and if they say it does, then thats enough for me. Maybe Santa will bring me one. :D

You don't believe in the tooth fairy but you want a Thermomix from Santa? :p

It gets to the stage where you have too much crap. I was grating a nutmeg recently when I remembered I had a rather expensive Peugeot nutmeg grinder at the back of the cupboard which does exactly the same thing without potential loss of fingernail tips.

Just yesterday I made soda bread using a bowl, and my hands. Instead of the magimix. And was sheepish to discover the loaf was a better texture and the clean-up was less involved. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Minder, tell us a bit more about this Molteni Kitchen Podium, please. The company's website is high on arty and low on hard facts (including prices!)

Oh, wait, it's $85,000? Damn, have to wait till payday to order it.

longshanks wrote: »
    i'd like someone to clean up after me, thats about it.
    that thermo thing can bite my balls.

Is that the grind function or the whip function?

Minder, tell us a bit more about this Molteni Kitchen Podium, please. The company's website is high on arty and low on hard facts (including prices!)

The Rolls Royce of Stoves - hand made to exacting specifications, Molteni are the stove of choice in the top European restaurant chefs including Alain Ducasse and Paul Bocuse. I don't really like the mega models - looks too much like a carnival attraction. But take a Molteni Podium stove and wrap it in a Huf Haus and I'm on cloud nine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

If money was no object a 25 year old tall, dark handsome pastry chef.

Or I'd be happy with a new dishwasher ideally integrated, my last one melted.

Or a large Le cruset (sp?) pot with lid in red.

And my extractor fan to be connected up.

Do counter tops count? Granite would be nice. Or a large slab of granite for pasty rolling.

Would love a flat bed microwave integrated.

A bigger fridge.

A seperate oven with plenty of racks for baking only.

A larger sink with draining boards both sides, don't know what I was thinking getting a small one.

De Longhi kettle and 4 slice toaster in red.

A new sturdy kitchen table and comfortable chairs.

Oh and a red iPig..music is essential when baking for hours on end.
    It's love just to close the kitchen door keeping every one out and just bake away.

Does a tv in the kitchen count? Plus cake boxes of various shapes and sizes.

An easier way of getting to the back of the baking press, pull out drawers instead of shelves or the like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

A range.

More storage space.

Two dish washers (as you use the clean ones from one you put them into the other... and so on).

A big chest freezer.

A stand mixer.

An ice cream machine.

A Rachael Alan.

A wood fired oven out the back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

A big kitchen with long windows looking out on the sea. A squashy couch for humans, and one for dogs and cats. A good radio with internet and DAB and FM and long and short wave. A good TV with Freesat.

A very good ceramic induction hob - the kind that goes from 0 to 250 in five seconds, and back down again. An excellent double oven with a plate warming section too.

A tall fridge - the Japanese kind with a million different areas in fridge and door, beautifully thought out.

(A utility room with washing machine and freezer, and maybe a dishwasher too.)

A perfect area for chopping and mixing - marble tops, I think.

Lots of cupboard space, with drawers and shelves that pull in and out and down - like the Japanese one I saw in Joyful Honda where you pull the shelves in the cupboard above the sink and they swing out and down, and return to their place with a push of a finger.

A handy concealing cupboard for all those machines that you use all the time but don't want to look at: toaster, blender, juicer, coffee grinder, espresso maker, rice cooker...

A pretty table and chairs - maybe an oval hunters' table, which folds away to a little 10"-wide thing, with wheels to move it out of the way, and chairs that hang out of the way on a proper pegboard when you're sweeping or washing the floor.

(And that pegboard should be the proper Shaker style, with pegs that screw in and out on wooden threads.)

Oh, and if you're not using that sweet pastry chef...

There are some *seriously* covetous kitchens in the display homes for project-build houses in Australia.

40ml granite benchtops with waterfall sides... A butler's pantry adjacent to the kitchen, with shelves, cupboards and those clever deep storage drawers, along with a second sink and under-bench room for a dishwasher... Parallel counters in the kitchen, 1000mm range top with hood in the wall bench, with double ovens in a cupboard stack... 1.5 sink with double drainer in the island bench... Half the kitchen bench designed as a breakfast bar with no under-counter-cupboards and high kitchen stools... whole kitchen with fully tiled splashbacks over timber floors with kickboards and a vacpan slot (a ducted vacuum letter-box type thing at floor level, so you can sweep the kitchen, and touch it with your foot and it sucks the dirt up and into the vacuum, which is usually a wall-mounted unit in the garage)...

You go in, walk around, and go home feeling seriously deprived. :D

Advertisement