Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

crane fly larva

Options
  • 16-05-2010 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 49

I was just wondering if anyone knows if the crane fly (daddy long legs) larva can be used as a bait. Some people know them as leather jackets.

I am visiting a relatives house and this morning we went out side and there were hundreds on the drive-way.

I am heading out in the morning to East Clare to do a bit of tench fishing and I was wondering if they are any good as bait because i have a bucket full of them.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Trout love them. You have a dry land version, but there are aquatic crane flies (daddy-long-legs) species, and in those varieties the leatherjacket is living on the lakebed.

Here is a commercial pattern and some info of when is good times to fish it:
    http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=09C3

Advertisement