Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to go for STI tests - too embarrresed to go to GP or GMHC clinic

Options
  • 16-05-2010 10:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

Hi Guys
    Im gay but not really out and have been with couple guys for oral and anal

Going to get myself tested for sti's

However too embaressed to go to the GMHC on Baggot Street- scared might meet someone i know or someone might see me

My GP is middle aged and dont think they would understand or be sympatheic or probably wouldnt do tests like back passage swab, one from urethrea and back of throat

Anyone know of any Gay Friendly GP in West Dublin / North Kildare area i could make appointment with and go get these tests done?

Can these tests be done in the VHI swift walk in clinics

What about the James Clinic - what are the hours/days for it ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Your GP pretty much has to provide such tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

Aard wrote: »
    he will not because he needs to reffer you to a testing clinic , I have had an older doc most of my life and by the time a doc gets to that stage they have seen it all so dont worry about talking to him , I use the clinic in St james you have to get there early but apart from that it is a realitivly pleasent experence

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Aard wrote: »

He doesn't want to get them from his GP

Cheekychops You should find information here

http://www.guide2guide.ie/openingtimes.html

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Dwn Wth Vwls

However too embaressed to go to the GMHC on Baggot Street- scared might meet someone i know or someone might see me

I'd really recommend just getting over this. Anybody you see there is either another man who has sex with men, or an employee who respects confidentiality. There's only going to be at most 20 guys there when you go. They don't call out your full name, just your initials.

It's much easier because a) it's free b) the queue is at most two hours and c) there's already a presumption that you've had sex with a man so you don't need to explain it and they know what they're doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I'd really recommend just getting over this. Anybody you see there is either another man who has sex with men, or an employee who respects confidentiality. There's only going to be at most 20 guys there when you go. They don't call out your full name, just your initials.

It's much easier because a) it's free b) the queue is at most two hours and c) there's already a presumption that you've had sex with a man so you don't need to explain it and they know what they're doing.

+1 I agree with that

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,704 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Dr Corish in Maynooth specifically advertises that he does STI tests, from memory. Unless he IS your GP of course!

Young-ish male GP, town full of students, patients include lots of people he'll never see again and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I actually saw one of those walk in places in town advertising this yesterday and remembered this thread- the place on Dame St just past the corner of Georges St, its right beside the pharmacy.

Just thought I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Untense

Hi Guys
    A quick google tells me there's a G.U.M Clinic in St James' hospital and the Mater hospital. They would be free also and are of mixed gender / sexuality so you don't have to worry about someone presuming your sexuality. They also call you by a number rather than by name.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭gibson

Hi Guys
    Im gay but not really out and have been with couple guys for oral and anal

Going to get myself tested for sti's

My GP is middle aged and dont think they would understand or be sympatheic or probably wouldnt do tests like back passage swab, one from urethrea and back of throat

Anyone know of any Gay Friendly GP in West Dublin / North Kildare area i could make appointment with and go get these tests done?

Can these tests be done in the VHI swift walk in clinics

What about the James Clinic - what are the hours/days for it ?

Thanks

The one on Baggot St is very good and pretty quick, they'll txt you the result if you want so you dont even have to go back....and if you did see someone you know wouldnt they be there for the same reason!? :confused:;)

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Dr Derek Freedman in Raneleigh is the top guy in this country. Its also not a gay man specific clinic

• Advertisement
Advertisement