Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

history :'(

Options
  • 16-05-2010 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭

Im trying to cover it all but i know i wont be able to. I wanna leave parts out but i have no clue what to leave out :'(
    help anyone lol?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭fauxshow

There's so much of it, sometime when I just see all my text books I feel like crying. I think it is possible to cut out chunks though. It's really about what you find easier to learn personally, but I can tell you the sections I'm choosing to learn?

For the document question, focus on Sunningdale definitely.

For dictatorship and democracy, I'm having a quick glance at Mussolini, learning the Church-State relations of Italy/Germany, anti-semitism and the Holocaust, Nuremberg Rallies case study, Jarrow March and Britain in the Inter-War years, And the USSR under Lenin and Stalin (economy, Communist society etc) and the Moscow Show Trials Case Study. The ones I'm going to learn REALLY well are Church-State Relations, Holocaust and Russia. I know this is still a lot, but it's cutting out about four chapters of the textbook!

For Sovereignty and Partition, I'm learning Cumann na nGaedheal in power & Fianna Fail in power really well and really really learning their economic and social policies. It's a hot tip for this year and people that answer this question tend to do really well. I'm learning Anglo-Irish relations under Fianna Fail also. Basically this all translates as chapters 6 to 8 if you use the EdCo textbook. I'll also look at the rise of Sinn Fein (this could come up as a 'what was the impact of the 1916 Rising' question), and the 3 case studies but Chapters 6 to 8 are going to be my focus.

For the US, I'm learning the following bits from the society/ culture stuff: consensus, the American Dream, multiculturalism, collapse of consensus & counterculture, religion, the women's movement, consumer society, racial tension, troubled affluence. What I did was summarised each of the headings down into half a page of bulletpoints per topic, enough to write 1 - 3 paragraphs on each. They all come up as parts of questions, like ''Write about how one or more of the following had an impact on US society: religion, the American Dream, multiculturalism.'' A lot of these sections are common sense and not too difficult to learn off. I'm also learning the Red Scare very well, the 3 cold war crises and my 3 case studies. INSTEAD of learning the society stuff, if you've a good head for numbers I'd say go for the US economy and military and information technology.

Good luck, I hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

This subject is just ugh!
    About to study it now, really has the highest workload of all my subjects.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Mwah

fauxshow wrote: »
    There's so much of it, sometime when I just see all my text books I feel like crying. I think it is possible to cut out chunks though. It's really about what you find easier to learn personally, but I can tell you the sections I'm choosing to learn?

For the document question, focus on Sunningdale definitely.

For dictatorship and democracy, I'm having a quick glance at Mussolini, learning the Church-State relations of Italy/Germany, anti-semitism and the Holocaust, Nuremberg Rallies case study, Jarrow March and Britain in the Inter-War years, And the USSR under Lenin and Stalin (economy, Communist society etc) and the Moscow Show Trials Case Study. The ones I'm going to learn REALLY well are Church-State Relations, Holocaust and Russia. I know this is still a lot, but it's cutting out about four chapters of the textbook!

For Sovereignty and Partition, I'm learning Cumann na nGaedheal in power & Fianna Fail in power really well and really really learning their economic and social policies. It's a hot tip for this year and people that answer this question tend to do really well. I'm learning Anglo-Irish relations under Fianna Fail also. Basically this all translates as chapters 6 to 8 if you use the EdCo textbook. I'll also look at the rise of Sinn Fein (this could come up as a 'what was the impact of the 1916 Rising' question), and the 3 case studies but Chapters 6 to 8 are going to be my focus.

For the US, I'm learning the following bits from the society/ culture stuff: consensus, the American Dream, multiculturalism, collapse of consensus & counterculture, religion, the women's movement, consumer society, racial tension, troubled affluence. What I did was summarised each of the headings down into half a page of bulletpoints per topic, enough to write 1 - 3 paragraphs on each. They all come up as parts of questions, like ''Write about how one or more of the following had an impact on US society: religion, the American Dream, multiculturalism.'' A lot of these sections are common sense and not too difficult to learn off. I'm also learning the Red Scare very well, the 3 cold war crises and my 3 case studies. INSTEAD of learning the society stuff, if you've a good head for numbers I'd say go for the US economy and military and information technology.

Good luck, I hope this helps!

Thank you sooooo much, thats has really helped a lot and made it seem bearable
    Victoria. wrote: »
    This subject is just ugh!
    About to study it now, really has the highest workload of all my subjects.
    I agree same with me, and for some reason i give it least attention

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭fufureida

DO NOT LISTEN TO THE ONLY COVER SUNNINGDALE LARK!!!

You need to do alllllll 3 contexualisations!!!

This is sorta what Me and my whole class is doing:

Dictatorship and Democracy*
    - Rise of Fascist Regimes*
    - Anglo American Popular Culture
    - Nuremburg Rallies
    - Stalin Show Trials
    - Church State Relations

USA*
    - LB Johnson and the Vietnam War
    - Moon Landing ( information technology, space race, arms race...)
    - Consensus: American Dream, religion, culture.*

Sov and Part
    - C Ng + FF Consoladating Democracy
    - Eucharistic Congress
    - Northern Ireland during WWII
    - 1916 Easter Rising*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 65516

ive only really started studing his this week,

i cant really leave anything we've learned out cause my teacher has skipped half the stuff!

in irish his we skipped the eucharistic congress, and were only doing the belfast bombing this week 4 the craic

european we didnt do britain or france.

american we did feck all.. didnt do economy, lesure??

and my teacher is class there was like 5 A1s in the class out of like 15

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭orlabobs

I'd say it'd be wise to do the economy. I'm really banking on it. Its quite simple too, theres really only the economic boom and the economic fall.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

fufureida wrote: »
    DO NOT LISTEN TO THE ONLY COVER SUNNINGDALE LARK!!!

Obviously you need to cover all three of the document question case studies, I think what the previous poster was implying was that it's be wise to focus on Sunningdale, as it's the most likely to come up out of the three.

zam wrote: »
    Obviously you need to cover all three of the document question case studies, I think what the previous poster was implying was that it's be wise to focus on Sunningdale, as it's the most likely to come up out of the three.

That's bad advice though. Any of them could come up so really you should giveequal attention to all of them.

That's bad advice though. Any of them could come up so really you should giveequal attention to all of them.

I wouldn't call it "bad advice", obviously it's the OP's choice - all of them have an equal chance of coming up but Sunningdale is the one with the most substance, will require the most time to learn, and is hotly tipped to come up.

Obviously any of the three case studies can come up, but Sunningdale is the only one that realistically will, there are no worthwhile documents or any cartoons whatsoever available on Coleraine and no worthwhile cartoons available on the Apprentice Boys.

And I don't think you could realistically get an A1 in history if you were trying to give equal attention to everything, you have to focus and learn specific things. Sunningdale anyway needs more attention than the other two case studies as there's much more to learn and understand in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LC2010HIS

-Stalin - ALL
    -Hitler - ALL
    -Mussolini - rise to power

-Cng- democracy
    -1916 rising
    -Belfast and ww2
    -euch congress
    -The emergency
    -Anglo Ir t 1921

-Cold War
    - EEC
    -2nd Vat council

:)

I really don't get how people can just decide that if something is hotly tipped or whatever that it will definately come up? I have at least 15 sample papers for the other two so dont think they won't put up coleraine or ABOD just because their ' aren't any cartoons ' their are plenty of photographs for ABOD and sources both written and vocal for Coleraine.

It is definately bad advice to tell someone to focus on 1 case study when either one of the 3 could come up. It's only common sense to know all 3 very well. Sure you can't study everything but you can for the contexualisations because their are only 3 possibilities.

I remember Vietnam was hotly tipped in 2008 and it didn't come up! People were shocked inside tge exam because so many neglected tge other 2!

It's really dumb to put all your eggs in one basket for tge document. Just saying like.

I really don't get how people can just decide that if something is hotly tipped or whatever that it will definately come up? I have at least 15 sample papers for the other two so dont think they won't put up coleraine or ABOD just because their ' aren't any cartoons ' their are plenty of photographs for ABOD and sources both written and vocal for Coleraine.

It is definately bad advice to tell someone to focus on 1 case study when either one of the 3 could come up. It's only common sense to know all 3 very well. Sure you can't study everything but you can for the contexualisations because their are only 3 possibilities.

I remember Vietnam was hotly tipped in 2008 and it didn't come up! People were shocked inside tge exam because so many neglected tge other 2!

It's really dumb to put all your eggs in one basket for tge document. Just saying like.

Fair enough. I see your point, but I think you misunderstood what I was saying - I'm not putting all my eggs in one basket, I'm just putting a few more of my eggs in the Sunningdale basket as I am of the opinion that it will come up and decided to share this thought with others on this public forum, take it or leave it :)

Also, for higher level, the document question will most likely consist of a text-based document and a cartoon, because they utilise the analytical skills required for honours history :)

Advertisement