Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie Competition 5 Station Mean. Name Suggestions

Options
  • 16-05-2010 12:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭

Hello! :)

As ye may know, M.T is running a weather forecast competition on a monthly and yearly basis here on Boards.ie Weather. (these threads are "stickied" on the top of the first page). Amongst other things, this forecast involves guessing the monthly mean temperature at 5 select Met Eireann stations around the country which are then combined to form a single figure. This I have been calling the "5 Station Mean".

This combined mean, which is derived from stats from met eireann stations Casement, Claremorris, Mullingar, Shannon Apt and Oak Park, gives a good idea of how things are doing regarding temperature at any given time within the area shown on the map below (which is very much an approximation)

114041.jpg

As I mentioned, I call the averaged out temperature within this area the "5 station mean", but I think this name lacks imagination to be honest :o.

What I would like to ask if anyone would like to suggest a better name for this? I could use an Irish equivilent of the "CET" (I.E, Central Irish Temperature" but that is a bit rubbish imo + the our 5 station mean covers a much higher % of the country than does the CET over in the UK.

Anyone have any good suggestions as to a proper name for our coverage area regarding an averaged out temp series? Any suggestion will be very much welcomed :)

If you like you can post any ideas of a name here, or if you would rather PM one to either me or M.T Cranium if you like, then please do! Just please make it sound less boring than the "5 Station Mean" currently being used! :)

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

The IIM - Irish Inland Mean... kinda sounds like a financial institution tho! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭John mac

what about FSM?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Name it after whoever won last years/ whoever wins this years competition . . .and change it each year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

NAMA - National Atmospheric Median Approximation

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Some very interesting suggestions so far, thanks! :pac:

Might be an idea to open a poll next week and put all the suggestions up for public vote if this is ok with people? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Cranium Mean!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,516 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Something like the simplified or representative Irish mean temperature ... basically, it is what it is, the average of five stations that are not likely to be unduly affected by maritime influences, but avoiding some of the coldest places in Ireland too (Ballyhaise, Knock, possibly Finner Camp), this index is likely to be reasonably close to the national average without requiring a lot of calculations. That's why I preferred it to the old average of extremes which would almost always be Valentia and Knock.

I would leave the cranium out of it, unless you want to scare small children.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

AIM - Average Irish Mean

I still think CIT - Central Ireland Temperature is quite good.

A few more:

CIM - Central Irish Mean
    SIM - Selected Irish Mean

5SM

Or MSM Mid Station Mean:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

IRA-Irish Republican Average? :eek:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

FFS

Very Tecki one here

CCOMS AVG - Casement,Claremorris, Oak Park, Mullingar and Shannon Average

DOCARCH wrote: »
    FFS

So I take it you mean For 5 Stations:D

pauldry wrote: »

:pac:

Some great suggestions coming in and thanks for taking the time out to post them! Keep them coming if you can.:)

I might do an X Factor style job on this. I will ask M.T.Cranium if he will be one of the judges (if he is willing) to pick out what he thinks are the best 5, then put it to a public vote. Is this ok with people? I think it will add importance to the final name as the name will most likely be a permanent one and become famed all over the country with time!*

*maybe! :pac:

pauldry wrote: »

Very good - yes indeed...that's what it means. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭Joe Public

Mean fiddler

DE, I would recommend that you keep this thread open for a week or two before putting any names to a vote. I honestly don't think we've heard the best possible name yet, and I also (respectfully) don't think I should have much to do with the choice, because this is something I have wandered into rather late and it's more up to you (pl) than me, but I will vote in any poll that you come up with. And I'll think about a name for a while longer too.

I think it's inevitable perhaps that it might be compared to the CET, even though as you say it covers a wider sample of Ireland than the CET covers of England (making the distinction England not the UK, it certainly wouldn't hold up very well as even a rough guide to Scotland's mean temperatures for example, these are often a degree or two lower).

And that comparison would not be a bad thing because, let's face it, the CET is the gold standard of long-term historical temperature records in which many weather people tend to trust in these rather uncertain times.

I dont know if I have any more ideas. Prob just go with a proper name that some of the more scientific people come up with like CET as MT says. Its all very well coming up with funny names but do they stand the test of time? More appropriate would be a name that someone looking at will be able to identify as Irelands Mean Temperature for the Month from the 5 Stations identified. Quite a tough task it has to be said but maybe an obvious name will crop up.

Thats my speeel!:rolleyes:

DE, I would recommend that you keep this thread open for a week or two before putting any names to a vote. I honestly don't think we've heard the best possible name yet, and I also (respectfully) don't think I should have much to do with the choice, because this is something I have wandered into rather late and it's more up to you (pl) than me, but I will vote in any poll that you come up with. And I'll think about a name for a while longer too.

I think it's inevitable perhaps that it might be compared to the CET, even though as you say it covers a wider sample of Ireland than the CET covers of England (making the distinction England not the UK, it certainly wouldn't hold up very well as even a rough guide to Scotland's mean temperatures for example, these are often a degree or two lower).

And that comparison would not be a bad thing because, let's face it, the CET is the gold standard of long-term historical temperature records in which many weather people tend to trust in these rather uncertain times.

Good point M.T. I will leave it open until the end of this month for people to post up name suggestions :).

Since you have been holding the competition together for the last couple of years and doing all the hard graft with figures & calculations on a monthly basis, which is no small job, not to mentione being a highly respected forecaster on Boards, I would consider it an honour if you were to be one of the judges to pick out the best 5 suggestions that will eventually be put up for public vote :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

IMT - Irish Mean Temperature

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

MIIT = Mean Irish Inland Temperature

We could call it what it is - The X Bar Mean Temp or just the xmean temp for short.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭kindredspirit

Okay, after some thought, I will submit this as my final suggestion:

Ireland's Simplified Representative Mean Temperature Index (ISRMTI)

Using five stations (Casement, Oak Park, Mullingar, Shannon, Claremorris) that are inland sites, in relatively rural settings, well scattered through the central part of the country, the ISRMTI devised by [Deep Easterly] of the Boards.ie weather forum has been shown to give a good approximation of the larger-scale national average and to the extent that it deviates from that, it tends to be more representative of what the population actually experiences during the month. With long-term historical records building up for these stations, it would provide a valuable historical index for future comparison to test out climate change concepts and provide a good indication of how each month and season really compares to past weather and climate.

While you're at it try this

Ireland's Simplified Representative Mean Temperature Consensus (ISRMTC);)

I Triple-M T.... IMMMT

Irish Midland Monthly Mean Temperature

BIM - Boards Irish Mean?:rolleyes:

Thanks for all the great suggestions so far :). If anyone else has any ideas as to what to call the "5 Station Mean" we use for the competition, or if those that have already come up with some and have others, please post them here before the 1st June.

The more the merrier :)

• Advertisement

M²I²T = MMIIT = Monthly Mean Irish Inland Temperature

Advertisement