Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Landlord pay for Re-decorating?

Options
  • 16-05-2010 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭

I've been renting my apartment for almost two years, perfectly happy with it. I've had a few rent reductions as well, which is nice.
    The only thing is it definitely needs re-painted. All of the walls are magnolia and it's obvious these haven't been re-done since the place was built in 2006. Is it normal for the landlord to do this or should I? After all if they were to try and let it to someone new they would have to get it done any way!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

No harm in asking but he doesnt have to do it. If you want to do it yourself you need to ask the landlord permission also

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

gleep wrote: »
    I've been renting my apartment for almost two years, perfectly happy with it. I've had a few rent reductions as well, which is nice.
    The only thing is it definitely needs re-painted. All of the walls are magnolia and it's obvious these haven't been re-done since the place was built in 2006. Is it normal for the landlord to do this or should I? After all if they were to try and let it to someone new they would have to get it done any way!

Its up to the landlord to do it. I am sure they wouldnt mind you doing it, as long as you ask of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭hapenny

dunno the legal standpoint on it, but mine gives me the money back for the paint!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭AARRRRGH

hapenny wrote: »
    dunno the legal standpoint on it, but mine gives me the money back for the paint!!

He can expense the paint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

A landlord should do it periodically. Usually when the tenant changes. Personally I wouldn't let a tenant do it, as they could be a dire painter, or fall of a ladder doing it. Also its something you claim back on expenses for. So be best to get rent as agreeed. Then pay the tenant to paint. Of course they'd get taxed on it, if the landlord claimed it as an expense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,631 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

4 years isn't a long time to go without painting. It's really up to the landlord if they want to, or you to do it yourself.

If they let it out to someone new, they would also clean the place, do you expect the landlord to clean the place just because you're continuing to live there and not moving out?

Advertisement