Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need fast answers if possible - about syllabus

Options
  • 16-05-2010 12:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭

Hey guys, would love quick answers if possible!

Can anyone tell me what the syllabus is for the English Higher Level Leaving Cert?

My little sister is doing Higher Level and her teacher didn't teach them all the work. She showed them Billy Elliot once, taught them King Lear and then gave them copies of Dancing at Lughnasa and Panther in the Basement 2 weeks ago and told them to just read them before the exam.

I haven't done the LC in 5 years so I have no clue what this year's syllabus is. Can anyone tell me does she HAVE to do Panther in the Basement and Danging at Lughnasa or are their other options? I believe her two main peices are King Lear and Billy Elliot and she is using the last two as comparitive pieces.

Are there any other things she can learn instead of Panther in the Basement? She just isn't "getting" it and there are loads of other stuff that used to be on the syllabus that I know inside out so could help her easily with.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

Those are all for paper two and she should be ok for paper one, there doesn't seem to be much of a technique to it, just using essay writing skills and identifying writing techniques in articles and things like that.

King Lear - Will be a question on its own
    • She needs to have knowledge of key themes, imagery, characters etc.
    • At this stage I'm just learning notes and a quote list not going back through the entire play.
    • Look at patterns in the exam papers if you have them or you can look at them online on examinations.ie

Billy Elliot
    • This is part of the comparison question
    • She will be expected to compare two texts
    • We did three but we have been told to focus on two because the question will ask for two and also if you attempt to analyse the three you will get more of a brief overview rather than the in depth comparative analysis they will be looking for.
    • There are three types of question for this:
    • 1 general vision and viewpoint
    • 2 culture and context
    • 3 literary genre
    • Cultural context came up last year so will more than likely be the other two

Poety:
    • We have 8 on the course
    • I'm learning 5, 3 favourites and 2 backups
    • Predictions seem to be Boland or Rich, Yeats and Longley.
    • Most questions will be on themes and imagery
    • Often they will just be very general and straight forward

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭MavisDavis

It would be best if she used King Lear as her single text. Then she needs three texts for her comparative. Generally students use a film, a play and a novel.

Here is where you can find the list of prescribed texts for this year:

http://www.education.ie/home/home.jsp?pcategory=17216&page=&maincat=&ecategory=17233&sectionpage=&link=&subject=17601&language=EN

Circular 0008/2008 - Prescribed Material for English in the Leaving Certificate Examination in 2010 is the one to click on.

Also, to politely disagree with the previous poster: you must talk about three texts in your comparative answer, unless you do the two part question where you talk about one text on its own for part (a) and compare the other two for part (b).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Cook!eMonster

they are my three comparatives, ill check my notes for the names of the books we got told to buy as study aids and get back to u!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 119 ✭✭CantStandMeNow

MavisDavis wrote: »
    It would be best if she used King Lear as her single text. Then she needs three texts for her comparative. Generally students use a film, a play and a novel.

Here is where you can find the list of prescribed texts for this year:

http://www.education.ie/home/home.jsp?pcategory=17216&page=&maincat=&ecategory=17233&sectionpage=&link=&subject=17601&language=EN

Circular 0008/2008 - Prescribed Material for English in the Leaving Certificate Examination in 2010 is the one to click on.

Also, to politely disagree with the previous poster: you must talk about three texts in your comparative answer, unless you do the two part question where you talk about one text on its own for part (a) and compare the other two for part (b).

What? That's completlely backwards.. for the question with one part it says to refer to two OR more texts you have studied, so you can just do two if you want. In the question with the (a) and the (b) part you will have to have to answer on three- One for part (a) and the other two for part (b). Some years you will only have to answer using two or more in this question too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

OP, at this late stage the best advice I can offer is for her to buy a revision book, which has a comparative done out in it already. That way, all she has to do is read the texts quickly and use the notes in the book to do her essays. Leave out Cultural Context and concentrate on the other two.

There are lots of options-over 30 texts. If you did the LC 5 years ago, you might have done Lies of Silence or the Playboy of the Western World and those texts are on this year.

Do Lear for the single text.

I have to say I'm shocked that a teacher would leave this section of the course undone. I mean, whatever about narrowing down the poets, but not reading the comparative texts:eek:. Did she give out a pile of notes on the comparative and how to do the essay and all that's left to do it just read them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭leavingcert

What? That's completlely backwards.. for the question with one part it says to refer to two OR more texts you have studied, so you can just do two if you want. In the question with the (a) and the (b) part you will have to have to answer on three- One for part (a) and the other two for part (b). Some years you will only have to answer using two or more in this question too.

Yes but using 2 texts is a very very bad idea, every teacher says it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Rich1691

If she is doing Dancing at Lughnasa, Billy Elliot and Panther in The Basement for her comparative there's a book called Comparative Study 2010 by Mary Slattery (printed by Edco) which covers those 3 texts as one option and it goes through Cultural Context, Point of Vision and Literary Genre for all 3.

Advertisement