Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell delivery date issue

Options
  • 16-05-2010 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭

Ordered a laptop from Dell during the week and the payment was just approved.

They said : ''The Estimated Delivery Date for this order is on or before 2010-05-18.''

Yesterday morning I get an email saying my estimated delivery time has been put back two months. (July 5th) :mad:

I cant wait this long for the laptop as I will be starting work on it May 20th.

Even though its now being produced, will I still be entitled to a refund?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You should cancel the order immediately. 2 months is a lot longer than you were originally told, so you should be able to get a full refund.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

That's very unusual unless the laptop had some very specific item added that is not available. - Its probably an error.

Ring their customer service tomorrow morning with the order number and it will be sorted fairly quickly - a fair few calls are routed into cherrywood, so you'll probably be talking to a local person.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Dell changing delivery times have happened to myself and a friend, with the latter's time continual having being pushed out. So, ask for an explanation for the delay.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭SoCo2009

I will do that ya!

And if it isnt an error and its actually being delayed by 2 months, will I be entitled to a refund?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,664 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

SoCo2009 wrote: »
    I will do that ya!

And if it isnt an error and its actually being delayed by 2 months, will I be entitled to a refund?

Have they actually charged your card, very bad form to charge a card before the item ships.

• Advertisement

Well, to be honest, I paid by bank transfer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Domscard

I had a similar problem with delivery being pushed back several times on a Dell laptop a couple of years ago. My card had been charged right from the get-go and they tried everything (bar giving me a DEFINITE delivery date) to persuade me not to cancel. I had to keep reiterating my demand for a refund before I was told that I could not get my money back until 30 days had passed from the time of cancellation :mad:
    They stuck to this refund time and I stuck to my guns, despite several pleading phonecalls from a salesperson in India. He was very polite but it was excruciatingly embarrassing.
    My laptop was nothing special, but I finally heard that there was a delay obtaining a basic part. My bank said that I could have disputed this refund delay but that by the time it was sorted, the 30 days would have been up anyway. I bought a HP laptop with borrowed money from a bricks and mortar store until I got my money back.
    I hope you have better luck getting a refund OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,658 ✭✭✭Floppybits

OP, I had the exact same problem when I ordered a laptop from dell a couple of years ago. They kept pushing out the date, I ordered the laptop in november and it still had not been delivered by february. Anyways in the end cancelled the order got the refund and when down to pc world and both a very nice laptop from there. There was nothing special about the laptop I ordered from dell. Seems they had a problem with getting parts delivered.

For such a well known company they sure seem to have a lot of complaints.

Turns out my case was an error. The laptop is being shipped today should be here in 3-5 working days.

Fingers crossed but Im expecting another email telling me there has been more delays! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

Dell are no better with commercial customers, I waited 2 months for 2 servers, and then got told they stopped making the model I'd ordered. Got a very good deal in the end but that was partly due to another Dell cock up with the specification on the replacements. Anyway ended up with a couple of systems worth twice as much and much better spec, luckily we didn't actually need the servers straight away so had a bit of bargaining power :)

I still recommend them but you need to work hard to get the best out of them.

Make a note of all the conversations and if there are any issues you can quote all the promises they didn't keep to leverage a better deal, better laptop or a quick refund.

• Advertisement
Advertisement