Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny triathlon 24/7/10

Options
  • 16-05-2010 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭

Just wondering is anyone else signed up for the Kilkenny triathlon in July? Anyone in the area swimming in the river (how is the current/conditions?) or cycling the route? (hilly/road conditions?) Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks

Rate this race based on, Scenery, PB potential, Atmosphere, Value, Organisation 7 votes

5 stars (excellent)
    0%
    4 stars (good)
    0%
    3 stars (average)
    71%
    tunneyCoolioEMPMlittleredspotTrifreak 5 votes
    2 stars (poor)
    28%
    Benny Cakelongshank 2 votes
    1 star (terrible)
    0%

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Just wondering is anyone else signed up for the Kilkenny triathlon in July? Anyone in the area swimming in the river (how is the current/conditions?) or cycling the route? (hilly/road conditions?) Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks

Cycle............Out to Bennetsbridge one long climb(.7 mile i reckon. Very steep. Go accross to Danesfort and into Kilkenny. This 3.75 mile stretch is relatively downhill. Accross to Roundabout 1 mile and back out to bennetsbridge again. Would I class it as a fast 40k It wouldnt be bad.

The run is around the castle park i heard. Every lap is around 2k with alot of sneaky hills. Reckon its a tough 10km.
    Swimming the 750m is downstream i heard.

Thanks

also on twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

3 stars (average)
    No-one else attending this? (Is there something I don't know????)

A first for Kilkenny. As its a bit away Valentia and athy still to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 kate72

HI Littleredspot

my first post here. I signed up for Kilkenny tri last night! will be interested to see others opinions. The date and location suited me. I'm doing Athy first in 2 weeks

K72

• Advertisement

3 stars (average)
    Hi Kate,
    there's 4 of us doing Kilkenny as our first triathlon. The date is far enough away for us to get in a bit of practice and the idea of an organised after party attracted one of the guys (though personally I can't see myself doing much dancing ;)) I'm liking the downstream idea too!

3 stars (average)
    Just bumping this as there's less than 2 weeks to go.
    Has anyone been in the river recently? Is this rain helping it swell? Is it too deep to stand up in?
    Anyone tried the cycle route yet?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

3 stars (average)
    I'm doing this as part of a stag. Running legs still in austria, being to be a slow waddle.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭bombidal

Have entered the Olympic for this next weekend. Would prefer to do the sprint. Unable to transfer at this stage so if anyone out there doing this wishes to switch ( or knows someone who does ) in the opposite direction please let me know and we can hopefully sort something out.

3 stars (average)
    tunney wrote: »
    I'm doing this as part of a stag

Will you be doing it in fancy dress so?:eek:

Oh to be that fit.........

• Advertisement

3 stars (average)
    Will you be doing it in fancy dress so?:eek:

Oh to be that fit.........

nope, not my stag :)

nope, not my stag :)

Where are ye staying ????
    The run is a tough course. 5 laps around the castle park. If i was to race a 10km there I reckon i might be a minute slow. Long drags on it that will sap your legs.

3 stars (average)
    Where are ye staying ????
    The run is a tough course. 5 laps around the castle park. If i was to race a 10km there I reckon i might be a minute slow. Long drags on it that will sap your legs.

Doing the sprint and haven't run or cycled or swam since Austria. Swim-bike-beer or maybe just beer-beer-beer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

This'll be my tri debut. Nervous enough as I learned to swim properly last year, but I've put a lot of work in. Do plenty of running and cycling too should hopefully it'll be OK (only doing the sprint anyway).

Tunney- saw your surname on the signup list online last night and was wondering why you were doing the sprint. Have come across your heroics on the cycling forum which is where I spend a lot of time :). Makes sense now. Would you fit a beer can in the water bottle holder?

In terms of the run; the GF's from Kilk so I go running in that park a bit at weekends when visiting her family etc. Very nice setting but there are a couple of drags alright. Very manageable though.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭EMPM

3 stars (average)
    really enjoyed this race on Saturday. i thought it was a good course and a great but tough run around the grounds of the castle. My only issue is that my time is not up on the results, hopefully they update the results as i know a few other ones are missing as well.

3 stars (average)
    Great day/weekend in Kilkenny alright.

Got down on Friday with my 3 fellow tri virgins. Scared ourselves looking at the river, looked v. slow and the distance looked sooo long. Never having recieved a goody bag before we were all a bit disappointed with it and the T-shirt which we'd been looking forward to wearing with pride was decidedly rubbish looking. Being the quality athletes that we are we went for beer and pizza to settle the nerves. I stopped after one mind!

Stayed in the Hibernian which is lovely and has a great location for race day but when your room is upstairs of a nightclub it's not so good. Not sure how the organisers could have recommended it for this reason. Arguing with a receptionist at 1.30am the night before the culmination of 6 months of training is not how I'd anticipated spending the night.

Got down to transition which having reccy'd a couple of other tri's I felt was very tight. It also involved a lot of running (100's of m) from swim exit and to the mount/dismount line. Friendly people everywhere. Watched the Olympic starts then went off to get ready.

The swim start wasn't quite as hardcore as I'd expected but this was probably because we were in the beginners wave. The night before I'd broken the distance down in my mind and was surprised to see how fast I got to the markers I'd set, there obviously was quite a current. The swim was going to be my weak discipline and despite my training if I put my head in the water 3 times I'd be surprised. I found the back stroke to be usefull for catching the breadth. I was watching to see where the finish was by people getting out and was amazed that they didn't start getting out till I was nearly there. My supporters hadn't actually walked there by time I did! (thank you again current)

Ran out of the water then realised that by walking fast I could catch my breath and move quicker than most of the breathless people trying to run.
    Slow T1 as I'd brought extras like gloves and top in case it was raining and had to get them out of the way. Couldn't praise my €15 Aldi trisuit enough when I watched people juggling towels and baggy shorts/T-shirts. 14.47 for swim +T1

Got caught behind lots of people in the narrow lane exiting transition. The bike would be my strongest disipline so put the head down immediately and was amazed at how many people I reeled in. There's a perverted pleasure passing lots of carbon and aero bars on a hybrid (with narrow tyres) Kept going relatively fast and was only overtaken by 2 people, caught up with some of the 2 waves before us. We'd been warned by a few people that the run would be hard though so I was very wary about not overcooking it. Also as it was my first time I wasn't really sure about how much to save. The course had lots of long straights, slight inclines and a light headwind on the more open side so we didn't seem to get any benefit from it on the return as it was more sheltered. I was really buoyed by all the very friendly encouraging marshalls. Came in in 40.55 which was a few minutes longer than I expected but at least I felt comfortable starting the run.

Quick change and out to the great setting of the forest run. As I only started running a few months ago I wouldn't be a stong runner but all the way I was passing people, I was passed by 3. At this stage I was really enjoying myself, having a word with most of the people I came across. The first lap seemed long but once I knew how long it was it was easier the 2nd time round. For my own comfort I even walked a few metres at the end of one of the (small) hills on the second 2 laps. I threw the water over myself at the water stops which was nice. By time the castle came into view for the last time I was delighted, and upped my speed a bit. Could of overtaken a girl on the final stretch to the line (through the castle gates, very nice) but decided it would be bad manners. Crossed the line feeling fresh in 1:24:47. With a big smile on my face. 62nd in the mens and a minute and a half behind my fit friend and his €2000 carbon bike:D

Way too many pints to celebrate but when you're in Kilkenny.....

Overall I'd recommend the Kilkenny Tri, especially for beginners. It's a very friendly city and everyone we met was aware of the tri and wishing us well. There was plenty of marshalls and they were great. The swim setting in the shadow of the castle would be hard to beat. Likewise the run with the finish through the castle gates. Considering it was the first one it was well organised. I'm hooked:)

3 stars (average)
    I'm doing this as part of a stag. Running legs still in austria, being to be a slow waddle.

Hmmm, slow waddle you say:rolleyes:

Mustn't be the same Tunney that came third, 15 sec behind first then.......

Well in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Trifreak

3 stars (average)
    Good event well run with the clear highlight being the run in the castle grounds. I did the Olympic and would do it again.

+'s
    • Spectacular run course.
    • Efficient registration on the morning of the event
    • Well marshalled for a non club event.
    Points for improvement
    • Anchor that bloody rope dividing the two sides of the river on the swim course. It drifted over to the left hand bank meaning that a lot of swimmers had to swim over it getting tangled etc.
    • Wave 1 of the Olympic was half the size of wave 2 meaning that there was a lot less space in the river in wave 2. Why?
    • Transition was very cramped. Maybe another position may be better?
    Overall very enjoyable. Well done Brian & crew

3 stars (average)
    Hmmm, slow waddle you say:rolleyes:

Mustn't be the same Tunney that came third, 15 sec behind first then.......

Well in.

Race report here

A nice race. I was expecting huge hills on the run. Nothing really. Nice run course.

3 stars (average)
    EMPM wrote: »
    really enjoyed this race on Saturday. i thought it was a good course and a great but tough run around the grounds of the castle. My only issue is that my time is not up on the results, hopefully they update the results as i know a few other ones are missing as well.

You sure you did the whole run?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Coolio

3 stars (average)
    Positives:
    1. Location = amazing, swim past the castle, finish run through arch...hard to beat i'd say
    2. Happy, encouraging stewards during race
    3. Fast course! Think athy may have competition for "fastest tri"
    4. Kilkenny is a great place for the after-party!

Negatives:
    1. 300m from entry to exit of transition. My speedo clocked 21.67km in total. Anyone else think the bike course was a bit longer than 20km?
    2. Another 150/200m from swim to transition area
    3. The A-Frame bike racks were way over-filled with bikes, I had about 6 inches of a gap to fit my bike and gear into?! Prayed that one of the guys either side were faster than me so that I'd have a bit of peace trying to wrestle my bike out
    4. Terrible goodie-bag...knorr soup and cup (in middle of summer?) and box of cereal?!
    5. Only noticed one steward on bike looking for drafting. I had three guys in my sights all the way around and they were blatant, one of them giving orders to the other two!!!

Race report here

A nice race. I was expecting huge hills on the run. Nothing really. Nice run course.

I am a local and either i am weak but I find that a bi*** of a hill. Ok nice drop on the far side but I dont like that 300m climb. From the pond to the big tree its a toughie. What did you average for the run ? Without the pond its prob 1.8k a lap.
    You should try the inner ring on grass in november. Its deadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I dont like that 300m climb. From the pond to the big tree its a toughie.

300m?... 300m would be considered a mountain in Ireland.

mloc123 wrote: »
    300m?... 300m would be considered a mountain in Ireland.

Lets say it would take me 90 seconds to run it(at a guess) and i love hills but i dont like this one. I rather run it the other other way and do the long climb the other way.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Lets say it would take me 90 seconds to run it(at a guess) and i love hills but i dont like this one. I rather run it the other other way and do the long climb the other way.

Maybe I misread, but is it 300m of elevation gain... or is it 300m long?

mloc123 wrote: »
    Maybe I misread, but is it 300m of elevation gain... or is it 300m long?
    300 metes long..............

How long did people that ran it think it was. You turn every corner and it seems to go on and on. apart from this run is handy.

3 stars (average)
    I am a local and either i am weak but I find that a bi*** of a hill. Ok nice drop on the far side but I dont like that 300m climb. From the pond to the big tree its a toughie. What did you average for the run ? Without the pond its prob 1.8k a lap.
    You should try the inner ring on grass in november. Its deadly.
    300 metes long..............

How long did people that ran it think it was. You turn every corner and it seems to go on and on. apart from this run is handy.

To be honest I didn't really notice, there was a little up, a little down, some flat, and maybe some more up and down.

I'd have described it as mostly flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭EMPM

3 stars (average)
    You sure you did the whole run?

Pretty sure i did, some people in the same wave passed me on the run and finished ahead of me are on the results sheet. If i did not do do all the laps would i have got a DNF and seen splits for what i did?

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭longshank

2 stars (poor)
    Coolio wrote: »
    Positives:
    1. Location = amazing, swim past the castle, finish run through arch...hard to beat i'd say
    2. Happy, encouraging stewards during race
    3. Fast course! Think athy may have competition for "fastest tri"
    4. Kilkenny is a great place for the after-party!

Negatives:
    1. 300m from entry to exit of transition. My speedo clocked 21.67km in total. Anyone else think the bike course was a bit longer than 20km?
    2. Another 150/200m from swim to transition area
    3. The A-Frame bike racks were way over-filled with bikes, I had about 6 inches of a gap to fit my bike and gear into?! Prayed that one of the guys either side were faster than me so that I'd have a bit of peace trying to wrestle my bike out
    4. Terrible goodie-bag...knorr soup and cup (in middle of summer?) and box of cereal?!
    5. Only noticed one steward on bike looking for drafting. I had three guys in my sights all the way around and they were blatant, one of them giving orders to the other two!!!

+1 on the drafting, some seemed to think they were in the tour de france and no sign of a marshal. thats a big negative for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Trifreak

3 stars (average)
    Only Marshall I saw was on the top of the hill after the Springhill Hotel. A static marshall, hardly the way to go.....

Advertisement