Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish HL

Options
  • 16-05-2010 1:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

Hey guys,
    I got a B3 in Irish for the mock and would seriously like to improve this. I'd love an A in Irish. Thing is our teacher missed an awful lot of days (we're talking about him missing around 3 months) :mad: I'm starting to stress now about the amount of learning to be done for these papers. The oral went much better than i hoped so with any luck I secured a decent grade there :)
    Anyone have any predictions for Irish??

A lot of people are sure that Jack, Nil aon Ni, An Chead Drama, Lig sin i gcathu, Clare sa Speir and 20 bliain ag fas are all well worth some serious attention.
    Anyone have any help at all??
    :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭yourmother

Well have lots of essays prepared and that way you should be able to handle anything that pops up. I'm mostly focusing on Sport (World Cup 2010), Global Warming (Teacher thinks this is very likely), Problems of young people/ Violence (Siopai Cinn etc) and maybe something to do with unemployment.

Paper 2 is a matter of learning things, An Chead Drama, An tOilean and Uirchill look to be likely.

For An Triail I think the power of the church and the opinions of the neighbours might pop up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 arryanna

my cousin did it last year and got the A1. He recommends spending a lot of time on the listening and comprehensions. Basically practise makes perfect.

Also he reckons something about the church scandals may pop up either in the listening or the essay. Also headshops are extremely likely

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭PARARORY

yourmother wrote: »
    I'm mostly focusing on Sport (World Cup 2010), Global Warming (Teacher thinks this is very likely), Problems of young people/ Violence (Siopai Cinn etc) and maybe something to do with unemployment.

We've done the importance of sport , global warming , drugs/alcohol , violence , politcians..

For Poetry - one of 2006 + 2007 is very likely to come up... Study Oiche Nollag as well!

An Triail - character and theme questions.. Im learning Bean Ui Chathasaigh and Padraig for characters and then a general one about the tough life maire had..

Pros - Fiche Bliain and Clare will most likely be on it... as for the third im not sure!

Would it be worth doing an essay on the Church Scandals?

I did out an essay covering The church scandals, head shops, drugs and violence. Basically just a general essay describing the social problems in the country. If an essay as vague as that comes up there is a God!! :)
    Even if such an essay doesnt come up though at least the points can be re-used for anything

probably the only useful thing my teacher has said over the past two years is that you can twist the essay to suit what you've prepared. Don't be afraid to disagree with the statement made in the question

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭yourmother

PARARORY wrote: »

Would it be worth doing an essay on the Church Scandals?

Personally, I think the Church won't come up. Realistically, you could have examiners correcting who were abused etc. It would touch a raw nerve. If anything to do with the church comes up I'd say it would more likely be in the An Triail question - role of the church, power of the church, influence of the church, the difference between being religious and being a good christian.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭fauxshow

I'm aiming for the A1 aswell, atm I'm just working my way through the reading comprehensions in the past papers, I think they're the best form of practise, and doing all the listening comprehensions. I have a really brilliant teacher and she's recommending we work on learning vocab for the Paper I essay, practise the reading comprehensions and do lots of listenings. The various parts of Paper II don't add up to that many marks, she told us to learn An Triail really well as that's worth the most marks, most of which go for knowing the plot etc really well with only a few marks for the Gaeilge, so if you use simple correct Irish to answer this you'll improve your grade a lot. If you learn your stair that's 30 marks in the bag, which can make or break a grade - if you learn the poets on our course plus Fiannaiocht and Ruraiocht really well that's a good starting point.

Good luck, I hope this helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭*giggles*

I'm concentrating on The Church, Young People, The Recession/Politics and Crime (mix and match those if possible) for my essay titles. Any other suggestions? I don't want to half-know 8 essays, I'd rather know 4 ones really well. What do you all think is coming up?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 cfitz86

Hi :) I'm just wondering why everyone thinks Lig sinn i gCathu is going to be on the paper, its appeared for the last three years?

With regards to essays, I'm thinking the life of politicians/unemployment or the irish language.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭eoins23456

practise all the aurals back to 1995 they should be on examinations.ie .i know some years arent so you could get the tapes of your teacher or another teacher.Learn off paragraphs that you can fit into any essay like on unemployment youth today drugs recession etc.For the irish history ting learn a few tings bout all the poets/authors n that will guarantee you half of it.Then learn an ruraiocht/fianniaocht and a few other popular ones n u shud be sorted for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭tracker-man

how long should your answer on stair be? It says 3 points, does that mean 3 sentences or 3 points with 3 or 4 sentences in each?

• Advertisement

3 well developed points will suffice. NOT 3/4 sentences as your doing yourself no favours. about 3/4's of an A4 page to each question

• Registered Users Posts: 15 cfitz86

Did anyone go to any of the xmas/easter revision courses, what did they focus on for Irish HL P2?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭fauxshow

how long should your answer on stair be? It says 3 points, does that mean 3 sentences or 3 points with 3 or 4 sentences in each?

My teacher recommends forgetting about the ''3 points'' thing and to literally just write down every single piece of information you have. This works out at around 12 bullet points for a question like An Ruraiocht for example. She corrects the LC so she knows what she's doing and she consistently gets great results, including something like 7 A1's last year, so her advice is always trustworthy!

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

arryanna wrote: »
    3 well developed points will suffice. NOT 3/4 sentences as your doing yourself no favours. about 3/4's of an A4 page to each question

This is not true necessarily. This will be my 4th summer correcting LC HL and a person can get 15/15 marks on a Stair na Gaeilge question with 3 developed points. It doesn't need to be nearly an A4 page long.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 spjhalion

Hey I'm repeating just Irish for the LC this year and just realised I can't find any of my notes for Fimineacht for An Triail. Does anyone have any notes they would willing to email to me?? Would be much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭gruffler91

Hi i have a fimíneacht essay on my laptop if thats of any use to you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Alice10

gaeilgebeo wrote: »
    This is not true necessarily. This will be my 4th summer correcting LC HL and a person can get 15/15 marks on a Stair na Gaeilge question with 3 developed points. It doesn't need to be nearly an A4 page long.:)

If you didn't put the 3 points into 3 different bullet points or 3 new paragraphs and just wrote the whole thing out as an essay would that be alright?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 spjhalion

Hey gruffler that would be great if you could! My emails spjhalion@hotmail.com Thanks! Also what characters do you think are most likely to come up? I havent seen either mocks unfortunately!

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭gruffler91

Sorry I have no idea on characters as I'm only in 5th yr so not doing LC this yr so can't help you there but il send that essay on now.

Advertisement